Today I played...

Brahms/Tchaikovsky:  Violin Concertos (Haendel//Celibidache/Goossens//London Symphony Orchestra/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra)

Archie Shepp:  Mama Too Tight (my favorite by him)

Atterberg:  Symphonies Nos. 1 & 3 (Neeme Järvi/Gothenberg Symphony Orchestra)

Purcell:  Complete Ayres for the Theatre (Goodman/Parley of Instruments)

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Schubert:  String Quartets Nos. 14 "Death and the Maiden" & 15 (Busch Quartet) (I'm not gonna say it)

C.P.E. Bach:  Cello Concertos (Mørk//Labadie/Les Violons du Roy)

Matmos:  at Chalkwell Park

On 9/29/2013 at 12:18 AM, Sneakeater said:

...Aaron Goldberg & Guillermo Klein: Bienestan...

Don't ask how I wound up back in 2013 on this thread, but there I was and there was your above selection.

So, are you familiar with more of Aaron G's work?  Do you like it?  

Maybe.  I've liked what I've heard, but my interest is/was that he's someone I play tennis with.  Just curious - he seems to have a great reputation.  Thanks.

Adam:  Le Diable a Quartre//Leoni:  The Prayer and the Sword (Bonynge/London Symphony Orchestra/National Philharmonic Orchestra) (these are enjoyable enough -- but their fans had better be careful about getting too snobbish about "classical" music's supposed "superiority" to "pop")

Lutosławski:  Paganini Variations/Paroles Tissées/Les Espaces du Sommeil/Symphony No. 3 (Glemser/Kusiewicz/Kruszewski//Wit/Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra)

John Prine:  John Prine

Brahms: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 (Weingartner/London Symphony Orchestra/London Philharmonic Orchestra) (These are the Pristine Classics transfers, as distinct from the EMI transfers I played a couple of weeks ago.  The slander against so-called "audiophiles" is that we listen to equipment and sound rather than music.  But, at least for the "audiophiles" who like music, that's bullshit.  The "sound" we listen to is music.  This simply "sounds" infinitely better than the EMI transfers -- so you can hear more of the music, and enjoy it more, cuz it "sounds" better.  I don't understand what could be wrong with that.)

Victoria:  Missa Gaudesmus/Magnificat Octavi Toni a 4 (Antiphone Hodie Maria)/Vidi Aquam/Missa Ave Maris Stella (Noone/Ensemble Plus Ultra)

C.P.E. Bach:  Double Harpsichord Concerto/Flute Concerto/Hamburg Symphonies Nos. 1 & 4//J.C. Bach:  Symphony for Double Orchestra (Lubimov/Martinov/Czasch//Huss/Haydn Sinfonietta Wien) (there are a lot of Bach Sons records on the market these days -- but this is one of the very very best)

David Lang:  Just (after Song of Songs) (composer's mix)/Stop

Erik Friedlander:  Sentinel (for whatever reason, really like this)

Essai Pais:  Earth

Schubert: Fantasie/"Grand Duo" (Duo Koroliov)

Graupner:  Darmstädter Clavierbuch (Soly)

Liz Phair:  Girly Sound to Guyville

Archie Shepp:  The Way Ahead (the title is funny, as this is the most backward-looking of Shepp's string of early albums)

DN RES:  DN RES

Mozart:  Concertos for Two & Three Pianos (Brautigam/Lubimov/Huss//Huss/Haydn Sinfonietta Vienna) (Huss and his Sinfonietta are the shit)

Amy Allison:  Sad Girl

Françoise Hardy:  Message Personnel

Bach:  Brandenburg Concertos (Chailly/Gewandhausorchester Leipzig)

Cherubini:  Medea (Callas/Scotto/Pirazzini/Picci/Modeste//Serafin/Coro e Orchestra del Teatro della Scala di Milano)

Wim Mertens:  Struggle for Pleasure//Tom Johnson:  A Hour for Piano//Jacob ter Veldhuis:  Postnuclear Winterscenario No. 1 (van Veen)

Hildegard von Bingen:  O Ignis Spiritus Paracliti//Mahmet Ali Sanhkol:  Veed//Oswaldo Golijov:  The Dreams & Prayers of Isaac the Blind//Beethoven:  String Quartet No. 15 -- Heliger Dankgesang (Krakauer//A Far Cry)

Ben Monder:  Excavation