Today I played...

Margo Price:  Midwest Farmer's Daughter (this is EXCELLENT)

Brahms:  Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4 (Weingartner/London Philharmonic Orchestra/London Symphony Orchestra)

John Zorn:  Nove Cantici per Francesco d'Assisi (Julian Lage/Gyan Riley) (gorgeous)

Beethoven:  Symphonies Nos. 3 "Eroica" & 7 (Erich Kleiber/Concertgebouw Orchestra) (I've always assumed that Erich Kleiber wasn't nearly as great a conductor as his son Carlos.  I'm going to have to reconsider:  these performances -- especially the Eroica -- are pretty epochal.) (And how about that Concertgebouw Orchestra?)

Brahms:  Piano Quintet/Piano Quartet No. 2 (Rudolf Serkin/Busch Quartet) (how fortunate, if you're a chamber player, to have Rudolf Serkin as your son-in-law)

Various:  Third Noise Principle:  Formative North American Electronica 1975-1984 (the extent to which the single Phillip Glass track towers over everything else on this four-disc compilation makes me wonder whether my constant fulminations giving pop music parity with classical are actually correct)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Phyllis Curtin:  In Recital (arias and songs by Gluck/Pergolisi/Mozart/Brahms/Liszt/Tchaikovsky/Ginastera/Fernández/Rodrigo)

Beethoven:  Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6 "Pastoral" (Kleiber/Concertgebouw Orchestra)

Brahms:  String Quartet No. 3/Piano Quartet No. 1 (Rudolf Serkin/Busch Quartet)

Bach:  Keyboard Concerto No. 7//Philip Glass:  Piano Concerto No. 3 (Dinnerstein/A Far Cry)

Chopin:  Andante Spianato & Grande Polonaise Brillante/Waltzes Nos. 3 & 7/Polonaise "Heroique"/Mazurkas Nos. 7, 20, 21, 29, 32, 38, 40 & 41/Piano Sonata No. 2 (Horowitz) (overwrought and self-regarding)

Handel:  La Lucrezia/Armida Abadonata/Agrippina Condotta a Morire (Gens//Les Basses Réunies)

Britten:  Sinfonia da Requiem (Gražinyté-Tyla/City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra)

David Lang:  the day/world to come (Volk/Beiser)

Dumestre/Le Poème Harmonique:  Anamorfosi (cantatas and arias and other vocal pieces by Allegri/Rossi/Monteverdi/Mazzochhi/Abbatini/Marazzou/Anonyme)

Unkle:  Never Never Land (still sounds pretty good -- but it's hard to believe we ever thought it was cool)

Various:  NYC-Sides:  Community Mixtape

oui ennui:  Occupe-Toi de tes Oignons (I've loved just about everything he's put out:  he must be a fave)

Mozart:  Divertimento No. 17/Salzburg Symphony No. 3 (Végh/Camerata Academica des Mozarteums Salzburg)

Doctor Nerve:  Skin

Chaya Czernowin:  Adiantum Capillus-Veneris/Hidden (Hever//JACK Quartet)

Thumbscrew:  Never Is Enough

Buke & Gase:  Live at Figure 8 Recording -- Moving on Music session

Arditti String Quartet:  Gifts and Offerings (by Wolfgang Rihm/Hans Abrahamsen/Hosokawa/Brian Fernleyhough/Brice Pauset/Mark Andre/Marco Stroppa/Liza Lim/Birtwistle/Hilda Paredes/James Clarke/Georg Frederich Haas/Uri Caine/Johannes Maria Staud)

G. Sammartini:  Recorder Concertos & Sonatas//G.B. Sammartini:  Harpsichord Sonata (Bugliano/Collegium Pro Musica)

Castelnuovo-Tedesco:  Escaramin/La Guarda Carydadosa/Variations Pleisantes sur un Petit Air Populaire/Tarantella/Variations à Travers les Siècles/Tres Preludi Mediterranei/Capriccio "El Sucio de la Razon Producer Monstruos" (Micheli)

A live performance of Ades' Totentanz on YouTube. One good thing about it is that visuals from the frieze on which it was based are shown as the various characters appear.

Mozart:  Serenades Nos. 6 "Serenata Notturna" & 13 "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"/Salzburg Symphony Nos. 1 & 2 (Vêgh/ Camerata Academica des Mozarteums Salzburg)

Bach:  Weihanchts-Oratorium (Sampson/Lehmkuhl/M. Lattke/W.Lattke/Wolff//Chailly/Gewandhausorchesther Liepzig) (Christmas in May!)

Riisanger:  Slaraffenland:  Suites 1 & 2/Tolv med Posten/Trombone Concertino/Darduse (Hardenberger//Dausgard/Helsingberg Symphony Orchestra) (in case you were wondering, what would Stravinsky have sounded like if he were Danish . . . .)

Chris Speed:  Emit (EXCELLENT)

Madlibs arr. Kieran Hebden:  Sound Ancestors (I'ma be listening to this daily for a long time)

Slim Gaillard:  Groove Juice:  The Norman Granz Recordings (here we see the unfortunate consequence of the 2008 Universal fire:  a lot of these transfers are obviously NOT from primary sources -- and they sound it)

Castelnuovo-Tedesco:  Sonatina Canonica/Les Guitares Bien Termpérées, Preludes & Fugues Nos. 1-12 (Brasil Guitar Duo) (you'd have to have a heart of stone to resist this wonderful invigorating -- if minor -- music)

Very cool.

My college used to kick off each year with a major get-to-know-you-type entertainment event, with bands, comedians, whatever filling the large student union building. One year, they turned a room into a kind of club and booked Slim Gaillard. Between sets, he was just standing in the corner looking like the most relaxed person on the planet. I said to myself, he was in On the Road, you can't miss this, so I went up and said hello and shook his hand.

Frederico Maria Sardelli:  Concertos & Chamber Music (Sardelli/Modo Antiqua) (this is bizarre:  new music written in a fairly exact Italian Baroque style; it's pastiche, but it's pretty good pastiche) (but what's the POINT of music like this?  why does it even EXIST?)

Mozart:  Cassations in G Major & B-Flat Minor/Adagio & Fugue (Vêgh/ Camerata Academica des Mozarteums Salzburg)

Beethoven:  Symphony No. 3 "Eroica"//Weber:  Symphony No. 1 (Erich Kleiber/Cologne Radio Symphony Orchestra) (this is such a better performance of the Weber than I have ever heard that it makes you realize what "great conducting" is)

Charlie Haden/Liberation Music Orchestra:  Time/Life (Song for the Whales and Other Beings)

Elgar compl. Anthony Payne:  Symphony No. 3 (Davis/London Symphony Orchestra) (just what the world needed:  more Elgar)

Chopin:  Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 (Pires//Krivine/Previn/Chamber Orchestra of Europe/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra)