Today I played...

You know, getting back to Slim Galliard, it's striking how many of his songs are about food.

There was one that was banned from the radio for suspected drug or other illicit references that turned out to be Galliard's reading the menu from an Armenian restaurant.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

On 5/12/2021 at 6:07 PM, Sneakeater said:

Beethoven:  Symphony No. 3 "Eroica"//Weber:  Symphony No. 1 (Erich Kleiber/Cologne Radio Symphony Orchestra) (this is such a better performance of the Weber than I have ever heard that it makes you realize what "great conducting" is)

can't find this on the web. can you add some search terms?

Beyond the composer, work name, conductor, and orchestra -- which you already have -- the only thing I can think to add is that it's on the Decca label.  What other info would help?

the ASIN? where you bought it?

I'm not saying this is your fault, just that I can't find the recording you're recommending based on the information given.

Mozart:  Divertimenti Nos. 10 "Lodron No. 1"  & 11 (Vêgh/ Camerata Academica des Mozarteums Salzburg) (if I haven't said this already, I usually prefer this repertoire to be played chamber-style, one to a part; but if you want it orchestral, these are all some of the most enjoyable recordings of light Mozart I've ever heard -- Vêgh just gets it)

Martin Bresnick:  String Quartet No. 2 "Bucephalus"/Trio for Piano, Violin & Violoncello/The Bucket Rider/BE JUST! (Bang on a Can All-Stars/Flux Quartet/Jupiter Trio/Lisa Moore)

John Zorn:  Commedia dell'Arte

Suzanne Farrin:  Polvere et Ombra/Corpo di Terra/Uscrimi di Braccia/Ma Dentro Dove/Time is a Cage (Wadden/Lichten/Tamestit/Hadulla/Rubin/Wiersma)

Mahler:  Symphony No. 8/Symphony No. 10:  Adagio (Wall†/van den Heever/Claycomb/Karnéus/Naef/Griffey/Kelsey/Morris//Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony Orchestra & Chorus/Pacific Boychoir/San Francisco Girls' Choir)

Brahms:  Clarinet Quartet/String Quartet No. 1 (Kell/Busch Quartet) (more all-time greats)

Dan Tepfer:  Natural Machines (I think Dan Tepfer is terrific)

Julia Govor, Winter Mute

Tom Jones, Surrounded by Time

The Tom Jones starts out great with "I Won't Crumble With You," and his singing is strong, but there are some disappointing song choices. I am over "Windmills of Your Mind" at this point.

Adam:  Giselle (Bonynge/Orchestre National de l'Opéra de Monte-Carlo) (oy)

Grainger:  Molly on the Shore/Bell Piece/Marching Song of Democracy/O Mensch Bewein dein' Sünde Groß (w/Bach)/Let's Dance Gay in Green Meadow/Country Gardens/Six-Part Fantasy & Air No. 1 (w/Lawes)/Hill-Song/Folk Tune (w/Goessens)/Shepeard's Bay/Walking Tune/Spoon River/Down Longford Way (w/Parker)/Tuscan Serenade (w/Fauré)/Chorale No. 2 (w/Franck) (Engeset/Royal Norwegian Navy Band) (oy oy)

Marquis Hill:  Sounds of the City

Marquis Hill:  The Poet

Claire Rousay:  A Softer Focus

Francisco del Pino:  Decir

Kaki King:  "Can't Touch This or That or You or My Face" (Arthur Moon remix)

Suzi Analogue:  Su Casa EP

Busoni:  Elegies/Nuit de Noël/Fantasie after J.S. Bach/Canonic Variations and Fugue/Giga, Bolero & Variationen//6 SonatinasIndianisches Erntelied/Indianisches Tagebuch Book 1/3 Albumleaves (Hamelin) (this is not at all the kind of thing I gravitate toward -- but it's incredibly compelling)

A. Scarlatti:  Sinfonie di Concerto Grosso Nos. 1, 4, 5 & 9-11 (Capella Tiberina)

Cecil Barfield/Buddy Moss/Leon Pinson/Houston Stackhouse/Big Joe Williams/John Lee Ziegler/Othar Turner:  The George Mitchell Collection Vols. 1-7 (I couldn't love country blues any more if country blues took me to Paris for a month)

Beethoven:  Violin Sonatas Nos. 5 "Spring" & 7//Schubert:  Fantasia for Violin & Piano (Busch/Serkin) (as I've already said, if you're a keen chamber player, it's an epic move to have Rudolf Serkin as a son-in-law) (actually, Serkin wasn't yet Busch's son-in-law when these recordings were made) (but Busch's daughter Irene knew:  she had told the very young Yehudi Menuhin, who had come to study with Busch years before, that she couldn't marry him because she was going to marry Rudi)

C.P.E. Bach:  Flute Concertos (Pahud//Pinnock/Kammerakademie Potsdam)

Ruth Copeland:  I Am What I Am (oy) (being backed by Parliament mutineers isn't enough)

Mozart:  Serenade No. 3 "Antretter"/5 Contradances/Notturno (Vêgh/ Camerata Academica des Mozarteums Salzburg)

Underground System:  Bella Ciao

Powerman:  Lost Tribe