Today I played...

Stradella:  Opere Strumentali (Various)

Adam:  Giselle (Bonynge/Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Convent Garden)

Pharoah Sanders:  Tauhid

Pharoah Sanders:  Jewels of Thought

Lou Reed:  New York

Walton:  Troilus and Cressida Symphonic Suite (Gražinyté-Tyla/City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Haydn:  Philemon und Baucis (Reinprecht/Englehardt/Genz/Petryka/Hoffmann/Bell//Huss/Haydn Sinfonietta Wien)

Jennifer Warnes:  Love Lifts Us Up:  A Collection:  1968-83 (ewwwwwwwwwwww) (I'm a huge Leonard Cohen fan -- but not huge enough for THIS)

Música Temprana:  Bailes, Tonadas & Chachuas:  Songs and Dances from Trujillo, Peru (18th Century)

Adam:  Le Corsaire (Bonynge/English Chamber Orchestra)

Lou Reed:  New York (demos, rough mixes, outtakes)

Sarah Hennies:  The Reinvention of Romance

Sabine Devielhe:  Mirages (songs and arias by Messager/Debussy/Delibes/Delage/Stravinsky/Thomas/Berlioz/Massenet/Koechlin)

Mozart:  Serenade No. 7 "Haffner"/Marches (Vêgh/ Camerata Academica des Mozarteums Salzburg)

Il Fásolo?:  Vocal Works (Dumestre/Le Poème Harmonique)

Lonzie Thomas/Sleepy John Estes/Teddy Williams/Green Paschal/William "Do Boy" Diamond/Dewey Corley & Walter Miller/Bud Grant:  The George Mitchell Collection Vols. 8-14

What that edition of Beach Boys Party! makes clear is how absolutely uncool the Beach Boys were.

Whether that makes them seem better or worse is a matter of personal taste.  I guess I'd vote "better".

I mean, making fun of Sonny, fine.

Making fun of Bob Dylan, questionable.

But they don't seem to even understand that there's a difference.

And the best thing here is a doo-wop cover of The Regents anyway.

As I said, I think that's "better".  Makes you appreciate how amazing it was for them to have achieved Pet Sounds and SMiLE even more.

The Beau Brummels:  The Best of the Beau Brummels 1964-1968

Maria Callas//Rescigno/Philharmonia Orchestra:  Portrays Verdi Heroines

Marie Davidson/L'Œil Nu:  "C'Est Parce que J'M'en Fous" (Jlin Remix)

Aron Dyer:  "What She Said"

Joanna Mattrey:  veiled

Couperin:  L'Imperiale/L'Arte de Toucher le Clavecin:  Prelude No. 2/Concerts Nouveaux Nos. 1, 4 & 5/Le Parnasse, ou L'Aupothéose de Corelli/Le Rossingol-en-Amour (Wentz/Musica ad Rhenum)

Mozart:  Serenade No. 4 "Colloredo"/Fantasy/Minuets/Tänze (Vêgh/ Camerata Academica des Mozarteums Salzburg)

Torroba:  Castillos de España/Puertas de Madrid/Preludio/Viejo Leyenda/Jaranera (Vidovic) (horrible politics, nice music)

Legrand:  Amour (Errico/Gets)

Beethoven:  Symphony No. 9 (Gueden/Wagner/Dermota/Weber//Erich Kleiber/Vienna Philharmonic)

Berlioz:  Symphonie Fantastique/Les Francs-Juges (Roth/Les Siècles)

Brahms:  Violin Sonatas Nos. 1 & 2/Horn Trio (Aubrey Brain/Adolph Busch/Rudolf Serkin)

Damon Locks/Black Monument Ensemble:  Now

missArone:  a thing

Mozart:  Piano Concertos Nos. 14 & 26 "Coronation"/"Ch'io Mi Scordi di Te?" (Schaeffer/Pires//Abbado/Vienna Philharmonic/Berlin Philharmonic)

Bach:  Violin Partita No. 2/Sonata for Violin & Continuo in G Major/Violin Sonatas Nos. 3 & 4//Geminiani:  Siciliana//Vivaldi:  Violin Sonata in A Major (Busch/Serkin) (here we get into wildly unidiomatic playing -- and you know what?  it's STILL great)

Bruckner:  Symphony No. 3 (Thielemann/Wiener Philharmoniker)

Miles Davis:  Miles:  The New Miles Davis Quintet (in hopes that @Steve R. will still be my friend, I will publicly state that the First Great Quartet -- quaintly referred to in their first record as "new" -- is my favorite)

Alexandre Tharaud et aliaBarbara (infinitely better than you -- by which I mean "I" -- would expect) (in fact, kind of great)

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I managed to actually see The Hinds and still not suss out that they were Spanish.

Jealous.

I think the words on that album are about 80% English to 20% Spanish.