Today I played...

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Boismortier:  6 Sonatas for Flute & Basso Continuo (Musica ad Rhenum)

Louis Armstrong:  Live in Europe

Victoria:  Music for the Easter Liturgy in Habsburg Madrid c.1600 (Noone/Asensio/Ensemble Plus Ultra/His Majesty's Sagbutts and Cornetts/Schola Antiqua)

Miles Davis:  Live Around the World

Antonio Adolfo & Carol Saboya:  Ao Vivo Live

Joshua Rifkin:  The Baroque Beatles Book

Elena Ruehr:  Averno/Cricket, Spider, Bee/Gospel Cha-Cha (Krull/Salters//Wachner/Trinity Choir/Contemporary Music Ensemble of Trinity Wall Street)

Mozart:  Le Nozze di Figaro (Gueden/Della Casa/Danco/Siepi/Poell//Erich Kleiber/Vienna Philharmonic)

Victoria:  Missa Ave Regina/Motets/Music for Vespers (Noone/Ensemble Plus Ultra)

Various:  The Rare Guide to Cuban Rare Groove

Various:  The Vanguard Folk Rock Album

Haydn:  Symphonies Nos. 6 "La Matin", 7 "Le Midi" & 8 "Le Soir" (Harnoncourt/Concentus Musicus Wien)

Philip Glass:  Flute Arrangements (Morelli feat. Boccadori/I IVirtuosi Italiani)

deadmau5:  Random Album Title

Working my way through the Julius Hemphill box set. It's mostly great, apart from the heap of spoken word collaborations on disc 5. As always usual, the spoken word is far inferior to the music, and so distracting.

Of course, in songs, lyrics are often inferior to music (see Sir Paul McCartney, nah nah nah nah), but it's less of a distraction because they meld with the music rather than running as a parallel track. If that makes sense.

Haydn:  Symphonies Nos. 30 "Alleluja", 53 "L'Imperiale" & 69 "Laudon"  (Harnoncourt/Concentus Musicus Wien)

Blavet:  6 Sonates Melées de PIeces (Musica ad Rhenum)

Sean Shibe:  soft

Anne Sofie von Otter/Brad Mehldau:  Love Songs

Los Muñequitos de Matanzas:  Congo Yambumba

John Henry Barbee/Albert Macon & Robert Thomas/Jessie Clarence Gorman/Will Shade/Will Shade & Charlie Burse/Georgia Fife & Drum Band/Como Fife & Drum Band/Maxwell Street Johnny/Precious Bryant/Rosa Lee Hill:  The George Mitchell Collection Vols. 30-38

Haydn:  Symphonies Nos. 31 "Horn Signal", 59 "Fire" & 73 "The Hunt"  (Harnoncourt/Concentus Musicus Wien)

Vitali:  Varie Sonate alla Francese e all'Italiana (Semperconsort)

Chai:  Wink (lovelovelovelovelovelovethem)

Miles Davis:  Live at Nice Festival

Victoria:  Missa Salve Regina/Motets (Noone/Ensemble Plus Ultra)

Schubert:  Offertorium "Salve Regina"/6 Antiphons zu Palmsonntag/Psalm 23/Tantum Ergo/Tantum Ergo/Tantum Ergo/Magnificat/Augusta jam Coelestium (Donath/Rüggeberg/Hautermann/Greindl-Rosner/Falk/Gassner/Rosner/Fischer-Dieskau/Schranner/Weber//Sawallisch/Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen  Rundfunks/Capella Bavariae) (not only does @Behemoth get to pop into her car and go to the Südtirol or Austria, but she gets to go hear the Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks whenever she wants) (it's not FAIR)

Found a mint, first pressing of Jaco Pastorius' self-titled debut from 1976 at our favorite neighborhood record shop. I'm not sure I had ever listened to it before. Sounded great though it's sort of "challenging" because not everything hangs together as well as you think it should. Hope to keep it in the regular rotation for several weeks.

Blavet:  Troisième Livre de Sonates pour Laflûte Traverese, avec la Basse (Musica ad Rhenum)

Schumann:  Fantasiestücke/Kreisleriana//Brahms:  Theme and Variations (Cooper)

Torroba:  Concierto en Flamenco/Diálogos entre Guitarra y Orquesta/Aires de La Mancha/Suite Castellana (Romero/V. Coves//M. Coves/Málaga Philharmonic Orchestra) (I can't imagine why this delightful stuff isn't hugely popular)

Van Dyke Parks:  Clang of the Yankee Reaper (by the mid-'70s even Van Dyke Parks sounded like shit) (why punk was necessary)

15 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Schubert:  Offertorium "Salve Regina"/6 Antiphons zu Palmsonntag/Psalm 23/Tantum Ergo/Tantum Ergo/Tantum Ergo/Magnificat/Augusta jam Coelestium (Donath/Rüggeberg/Hautermann/Greindl-Rosner/Falk/Gassner/Rosner/Fischer-Dieskau/Schranner/Weber//Sawallisch/Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen  Rundfunks/Capella Bavariae) (not only does @Behemoth get to pop into her car and go to the Südtirol or Austria, but she gets to go hear the Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks whenever she wants) (it's not FAIR)

Well, not quite whenever I want. 

(Isn't Rundfunk the best word?) 

3 hours ago, SLBunge said:

Found a mint, first pressing of Jaco Pastorius' self-titled debut from 1976 at our favorite neighborhood record shop. I'm not sure I had ever listened to it before. Sounded great though it's sort of "challenging" because not everything hangs together as well as you think it should. Hope to keep it in the regular rotation for several weeks.

Oh I had a serious JP phase. I think I drove my roommates completely nuts though. 

Tear the roof off the Herculessaal!  Tear the roof off the jerky Herculessaal!

Ow we want the rundfunk!  Give up the rundfunk!  Ow we need the rundfunk!  We gotta have that rundfunk!

• Haha 1