Today I played...

Lord, now I have to research that?

They always had a soft, melodic side, see Beginnings. Is that it?

And I now wonder if I still have any singles. I know I had Cuz I Love You and Mama We’re All Crazee Now, but when did I last look for them?

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Mûsica Temprana:  Avecillas Sonaras:  Villencianos from 18th Century Latin America

Gross:  Trumpet Concerto//M. Haydn:  Trumpet Concerto No. 2//Molter:  Trumpet Concerto No. 2//Hertel:  Double Concerto for Trumpet & Oboe//Telemann:  Trumpet Concerto No. 2//Handel Atalanta Overture (Eklund/Bjarenhad//Sparf/Tarr/Drottingham Baroque Orchestra) (Niklas Ecklund is some kind of great)

The Velvet Underground: Loaded (Demos, Early Versions, and Alternative Mixes)

Beethoven:  String Quartet No. 12 (Quartetto Italiano)

14 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

That burp MADE my sophomore year in high school (appropriately enough).

Indeed. If they had taken themselves seriously would they be iconic or would they just have made less money? 

Let me tell you my story of "Raining in My Champagne".

In the summer of 1974, Slade gave a Schaefer concert at the Wollman Rink in Central Park.  Slade were pretty much played out by then, but my friends and I, in our last Summer before college, went for old times' sake.  After all, we'd never been to a Slade show we didn't love.

We weren't surprised to see Joey, the lead singer of that brand new New York group The Ramones, in the audience.  The whole point of The Ramones was that they loved the same pop-rock we did.

Slade did this one new song at that show that we all loved.  Having heard it that one time, we went around singing it constantly for the next few weeks.  When the album the concert was supporting, Slade in Flame, came out after we'd all gone to college, we were disconsolate to discover that the song wasn't on it.

Fast forward 40something years, to a couple of years ago.  Now armed with the internet, I determined to find that song.  Remember, I'd heard it only once, in 1974.  I found that it was called "Raining in My Champagne" and was the B-side to the non-LP single "Thanks for the Memory (Wham Bam Thank You Mam)" (which was never released in the U.S. at all).

This song unaccountably wasn't included in the Slade CD box set.  When I saw there was a two-disc compilation of Slade B-sides, how could I not get it?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

n the summer of 1974, Slade gave a Schaefer concert at the Wollman Rink in Central Park.  Slade were pretty much played out by then, but my friends and I, in our last Summer before college, went for old times' sake.  After all, we'd never been to a Slade show we didn't love.

Great story and shit - I was probably driving my cab that night!

When my friends and I were really poor, we'd go into the city to see shows at the Rink in Central Park. But - we wouldn't really see them; we'd sit in the park and listen, as it was probably too costly to buy tickets.

C.P.E. Bach:  Orchestral Symphonies Nos. 1-4/Symphony for Strings (Leonhardt/Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment)

Ingrid Laubrock Anti-House:  Strong Place

Scriabin:  Piano Sonatas Nos. 9 "Black Mass" & 10/Etudes Nos. 1, 3, 9, 11-13, 16-18 & 22/Poemes Nos. 1, 16 & 17/Feuillets d'Albums Nos. 1 & 3/Vers la Flamme (Horowitz)

Benny Latimore:  The Early Years

Debussy:  String Quartet//Milhaud:  String Quartet No. 12 (Quartetto Italiano)

Beth Anderson:  Swales & Angels (she needs to be better known)

Merle Haggard:  Working in Tennessee

Mozart:  Rondos in F Major & D Major/Fantasia in D Minor/Gigue in G Major/Piano Sonatas Nos. 14 & 16 "Facile"/String Quintet No. 4 -- Adagio (tr. for piano)/Adagio in B Minor/Ave Verum Corpus (tr. for piano)//Galuppi:  Piano Sonatas in F Minor -- Andante & C Minor//C.P.E. Bach:  Rondo in D Minor//Cimarosa:  Keyboard Sonatas Nos. 42 & 55//Haydn:  Piano Sonata No. 47 (Olafsson) (this is stupid:  Olafsson has now made four albums [not counting remixes and stuff], and not a single one of them isn't just good, but crazy good)

Joe Henderson:  The Complete Joe Henderson Blue Note Sessions (Disc IV)

Dvorak:  Symphonies Nos. 7 & 8 (Giulini/London Philharmonic Orchestra/Philharmonia Orchestra) (some hints here of the plodder Giulini would eventually become)

Barbara Cook:  Sings Mostly Sondheim

Terrance Blanchard:  Magnetic (let's get the party started)

On 9/11/2021 at 12:15 AM, Sneakeater said:

Let me tell you my story of "Raining in My Champagne".

In the summer of 1974, Slade gave a Schaefer concert at the Wollman Rink in Central Park.  Slade were pretty much played out by then, but my friends and I, in our last Summer before college, went for old times' sake.  After all, we'd never been to a Slade show we didn't love.

We weren't surprised to see Joey, the lead singer of that brand new New York group The Ramones, in the audience.  The whole point of The Ramones was that they loved the same pop-rock we did.

Slade did this one new song at that show that we all loved.  Having heard it that one time, we went around singing it constantly for the next few weeks.  When the album the concert was supporting, Slade in Flame, came out after we'd all gone to college, we were disconsolate to discover that the song wasn't on it.

Fast forward 40something years, to a couple of years ago.  Now armed with the internet, I determined to find that song.  Remember, I'd heard it only once, in 1974.  I found that it was called "Raining in My Champagne" and was the B-side to the non-LP single "Thanks for the Memory (Wham Bam Thank You Mam)" (which was never released in the U.S. at all).

This song unaccountably wasn't included in the Slade CD box set.  When I saw there was a two-disc compilation of Slade B-sides, how could I not get it?

The British punks were steeped in Slade and T. Rex as well as (obviously) Bowie.

Dvorák:  Symphony No. 9 "From the New World"/Carvinval Overture/Scherzo Capriccioso (Giulini/Philharmonia Orchestra) (again, maybe this delightful music is just the slightest bit po-faced here)

Charlie Mingus:  Tijuana Moods

Duke Ellington:  The Duke Ellington Centennial Edition (Disc 18:  The Three Sacred Concerts (1965/1968/1973)) (this is the First -- I tend to think it's bullshit, but I'm softening)

Hoffman:  Sinfonie/Undine Overture/Aurora Overture & Marsch//Witt:  Sinfonia (Willens/Kölner Akademie) (good thing Hoffman didn't quit his day job as a fabulist)

Matthew Shipp Trio:  The Unidentifiable

Beethoven:  Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 (Uchida//Sanderling/Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks)

deadmau5:  while (1<2)

Gubaidulina:  Seven Words/Ten Preludes/De Profundis (Moser/Pergemenschikow//Poppen/Münchner Kammerorchester) (this stuff is THE SHIT)