Today I played...

10 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I have the tremendous advantage of not finding Agnetha and Anna-Frid very attractive.

As a teenager, I sorely lacked that advantage. But as with The Bangles, it turned out that I did like the music (there was never a question with Blondie).

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

It actually sounds like I'd like it.

She hasn't put out a jazz album in some time.

It's a bit soundscape-y, but it also has a meditative and, for me, compelling vibe. Not quite 3rd stream but leans hard in that direction. Definitely worth a listen.

Liszt:  Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2/Deux Legendes/Eglougue/Au Lac de Wallenstadt/Au Bord d'une Source/In Peseroso/Canzonetta del Salvator Rossi/Gondoliera/Sonetti del Patrarca (Kempf//Fistoulari/London Symphony Orchestra)

Charles Mingus:  Let My Children Hear Music (I somehow don't remember this as being this great)

Blue Lu Barker:  1938-1939

Schubert:  Impromptus (Firkusny)

Martinu:  Cello Concerto//Foerster:  Cello Concerto//Novak:  Concerto for Cello & Small Orchestra (Barta//Hrusa/Prague Philharmonia)

The Artaud Beats:  LOGOS

Janáček:  On an Overgrown Path/Piano Sonata "1.X.1905"/In the Mists/Concertino for Piano, 2 Violins, Viola, Clarinet, Horn & Bassoon (Firkušny/Krachmalnick/Madison/Lifschey/Members of the Philadelphia Wind Quintet)

Leith:  good day good day bad day bad day (Barton/Rhys)

Françoise Hardy:  Françoise Hardy (La Question)

Gabrielli:  Due Canzoni per Sonar a Quartetto//Marini:  Balletto Primo a Tre//Neri:  Sonata Quinto a Quattro//Vitali:  Capriccio//Sonata a Quattro No. 4//Vivaldi:  Sonata a Quattro "Al Santo Sepolcro" (Quartetto Italiano)

Miloš:  Cancion (total shit) (OK:  near total)

Louis Armstrong:  The Complete Louis Armstrong Columbia and RCA Victor Studio Sessions 1946-1966 (Disc 1)

6 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Louis Armstrong:  The Complete Louis Armstrong Columbia and RCA Victor Studio Sessions 1946-1966 (Disc 1)

Curious to see how many discs there are.

Francoise Hardy is estimable, but another example of the Esperanza dilemma.

Pamela Z:  a secret code

Telemann:  La Bourse Overture/Suites (Il Fondamento) (exactly what I was in the mood for, not that anyone but me cares)

Pet Bottle Ringen:  Pet Bottle Ringen

Dvorák:  The Noonday Witch/The Golden Spinning Wheel/The Wood Dove/Symphonic Variations (Kubelik/Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks) (I know you're all sick of hearing this shit, but I'm listening to these old recordings thinking that the top is too harsh and the soundstage too boxy -- and then I think to switch my amp to triode mode and everything is right with the world)

Leo Brouwer:  Sonata/Three Latin American Pieces/Hilka/Suite No. 3/An Idea (Passacaglia for Eli)/Paisaje Cubano con Campanas/Rito de los Orishas/Un Dia de Noviembre (Graham Anthony Devine)

C.P.E. Bach:  Hamburg Harpsichord Concertos Nos. 2, 4 & 5 (van Asperen/Melante Amsterdam)

Mussorgsky orch. Ravel:  Pictures at an Exhibition (Kubelik/Chicago Symphony Orchestra)

Duke Ellington:  The Reprise Studio Recordings (Disc 1)

Delibes:  Copellia//Donizetti/Hérold/Mailart/Offenbach/Rossini/Verdi/Wallace:  Opera Overtures (Bonynge/L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande/London Symphony Orchestra)

Rota:  Petite Offrande Musicale//Farkas:  Rigi Magyar Tancok di 17. Stazabidol//Beach:  Pastorale//Schuller:  Suite//Grainger:  Walking Tune//Turrin:  Three Summer Dances//Persichetti:  Pastoral//Milhaud:  La Chemin de Roi René//Briccialdi:  Potpouri Fantastico (nel "Barbiere di Seviglia" del M. Rossini) (Borealis Wind Quintet)

Carter:  Double Concerto for Harpischord & Piano with 2 Chamber Orchestras/Piano Concerto (Rosen/Kirkpatrick//Meier/Chamber Orchestra)

Chet Baker:  The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of the Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman (Disc II)

Bob Marley & The Wailers:  Kaya

Yolanda Kondonassis & Jason Vieaux:  Together

Andrew Cyrille Quartet:  The News

Schumann:  String Quartet No. 3//Stravinsky:  3 Pieces for String Quartet (Quartetto  Italiano)

Taj Mahal:  In Process & In Motion 1965-1998

Beethoven:  Piano Concertos Nos. 3 & 4 (Uchida//Sanderling/Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks)

Louis Armstrong:  The Complete Louis Armstrong Columbia and RCA Victor Studio Sessions 1946-1956 (Disc II)

Delibes:  Copellia//Adam/Auber/Boieldieu/Lecoq/Panquette/Thomas:  Opera Overtures (Bonynge/Natonal Philharmonic Orchestra/New Philharmonia Orchestra)

Cecil Taylor:  Jazz Advance (proving that, notwithstanding the tin-eared accusations that he was a rootless rebel, Taylor actually picked up where Monk left off)

Henry James Townsend/Joe Willie "Pinetop" Perkins/David "Honeyboy" Edwards/Robert Lockwood, Jr.:  Last of the Great Mississippi Delta Bluesmen -- Live in Dallas

Bob Marley & The Wailers:  Survival

"Blue" Gene Tyranny:  Degrees of Freedom Found (Disc III)