Today I played...

Louis Armstrong:  The Complete Louis Armstrong Columbia and RCA Victor Studio Sessions 1946-1956 (Disc III)

Dvorák: Piano Concerto (Firkušny//Szell/Cleveland Orchestra)

Duke Ellington:  The Reprise Studio Recordings (Disc 2)

Harold Meltzer:  Rumours//Martin Bresnick:  High Art//Mathew Rosenblum:  Under the Rainbow//Steven Burke:  Nervosa//David Lang:  Thorn//Randall Wolff:  Pattibox  (Monson)

Sö Percussion & Caroline Shaw:  Let the Soil Play Its Simple Part

Gary Lucas:  Evangeline

Bach:  The Well-Tempered Klavier:  Preludes & Fugues:  Book 1 Nos. 2 & 4; Book 2 Nos. 6, 9 & 20/Harpsichord Concert No. 1//Bach-Busoni:  Chaconne//Bach-Liszt:  Prelude & Fugue in A Minor//Bach-Rachmoninov:  Prelude in E Major (Grimaud/Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen)

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Elvis Presley:  Elvis Live 1969 (Disc 5:  August 23, 1969, Midnight Show) (as the day of my Bar Mitzvah gets ever closer . . . .)

Chopin/Prokofiev:  Cello Sonatas (Piatigorsky/Firkušny)

Donizetti:  Lucia di Lammermoor (Callas/Taglavini/Cappucilli//Serafin/Philharmonia Orchestra)

Françoise Hardy:  Françoise Hardy (et si je m'en vais avant toi) (the '70s were not good to '60s pop musicians)

C.P.E. Bach:  Hamburg Harpsichord Concertos Nos. 1, 3 & 6 (von Asperen/Melante Amsterdam)

Charpenier:  Médée (Wend/Sautereau/Kolassi/Féres/Journeaux/Derenne/Demigny/Conrad//Boulanger/Instrumental & Vocal Ensemble)

Ravel:  String Quartet//Mozart:   String Quartet no. 3 (Quartetto Italiano)

Dvorák:  Piano Quintet No. 2/Bagatelles (Firkušny/Juilliard Quartet)

Bob Marley & The Wailers:  Uprising

Marc Ribot:  Plays Solo Guitar Works of Frantz Cacceus

Elvis Presley:  Elvis Live 1969 (Disc 6:  August 24, 1969, Dinner Show) (some new songs, sharper performances, the patter seems almost focused:  did Elvis forget to take drugs that day?)

Beethoven:  Piano Concerto No. 5 "Emperor"/32 Variations in C Minor (Uchida//Sanderling/Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks)

Boulez:  Piano Sonata Nos. 1 & 3//Carter:  Double Concerto for Harpsichord & Piano with 2 Chamber Orchestras (Rosen/Jacobs//Prausnitz/English Chamber Orchestra)

Dvorak:  Piano Quartets Nos. 1 & 2 (Firkušny/Juilliard Quartet)

Locke:  Triple Concordia -- Suites in G Major & E Minor/The Broken Consort, Part I (Wayward Sisters)

Henry Threadgill, Old Locks and Irregular Verbs

Picked randomly, and I think wow that piano is good, look it up and it’s Jason Moran, so of course I congratulate myself on my perspicuity.

Tchaikovsky:  Symphony No. 5//Rossini:  L'Assedio del Corinto Overture//Casella:  Paganiniana (Cantelli/Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala, Milano/Orchestra Stabile Accedemia di Santa Ceceilia, Roma)

Bartók:  Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta//Bloch:  Concerto Grosso (Kubelik/Chicago Symphony Orchestra)

Kitty Wells:  The Country Music Hall of Fame

"Blue" Gene Tyranny:  Degrees of Freedom Found (Disc IV)

Webern:  Der Siebente Ring -- 5 Lieder/5 Lieder after Poems by Stefan George/4 Pieces for Violin & Piano/3 Little Pieces for Cello & Piano/4 Lieder/Quartet for Violin, Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone & Piano/Viae Inviae -- 3 Lieder/3 Lieder on Poems by Hildegard Jone/Variations for Piano (Harper/Lukomska/Stern/Piatigorsky/Majeske/Marcellus/Weinstein/Boulez)

Various:  Protobilly:  The Minstrel and Tin Pan Alley DNA of Country Music 1892-2017 (Disc A) (it is difficult to convey how totally awesome this is)

Dvorak:  Symphony No. 9 "From the New World" (Kubelik/Chicago Symphony Orchestra) (this record is oddly controversial, as some find it one of the great recorded statements of this enjoyable piece, and some find it "meh"; I have to say I find the "meh" response kind of incomprehensible)

Wagner:  Lohengrin (Grummer/Ludwig/Thomas/Fischer-Dieskau/Frick//Kempe/Wiener Philharmoniker) (would be one of the great opera recordings if only for the chance to hear Ludwig and Fischer-Dieskau have the time of their lives being evil -- but really it's Kempe's show) (and let's not forget Grunner) (and Wagner)

Tchaikovsky:  Romeo and Juliette//Wagner:  Sigfried Idyll//Mendelssohn:  Symphony No. 4 "Italian" (Cantelli/Philharmonia Orchestra) (OK:  Cantelli was one of the greatest conductors ever.  Period.)

Tchaikovsky:  Symphony No. 4 (Kubelik/Chicago Symphony Orchestra)

Beethoven:  Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 4 (Brendel//Rattle/Wiener Philharmoniker)

Ought:  More than any Other Day

Steve Reich:  Vermont Counterpoint//Robert Dick:  Afterlight//Harold Meltzer:  Rumors -- Tempest/The Heaven of Animals//Kaija Saariaho:  NoaNoa//Jennifer Higdon:  rapid fire//Martin Bresnick:  Conspiracies (Monson)

Clak:  Dirty Realism

Karsh Kale:  Liberation

Purcell:  Rejoice the Lord Always/Blow the Trumpet in Sion/O God, Thou Art My God/Chacony/O God, Thou Hast Cast Us Out/My Heart Is Indicting/Remember Not, Lord, Our Offenses (Bowman/Rogers/vo Egmond//Leonhardt/Leonhardt Consort/Choir of King's College, Cambridge)

Duke Ellington:  The Reprise Studio Recordings (Disc 3) (Ellington's Reprise work gets dissed cuz it devolved into things like albums of arrangements of songs from Mary Poppins -- but this stuff, at least, is lovely)

Martinu:  Les Retournelles/Fantasie et Toccata/Piano Sonata No. 1/Moderato/Études & Polkas (Firkušny)

Tchaikovsky:  Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique" (Kubelik/Chicago Symphony Orchestra) (Kubelik was just too rational a person to wring the max effect from this tripe)

Beethoven:  String Trios No. 1-3 (Zimmermann/Tamestit/Poltéra)

George Crumb:  Eleven Echoes of Autumn/The Sleeper/Vox Balanae/Five Pieces for Piano/Dream Sequence (Van Eyck/International Contemporary Ensemble)

Duke Ellington:  The Reprise Studio Recordings (Disc 4) (if you want to hear Duke Ellington doing "Blowin' in the Wind", you've come to the right place) (I don't get the feeling he took it entirely seriously)

Various:  Protobilly:  The Minstrel and Tin Pan Alley DNA of Country Music 1892-2017 (Disc B)

Tchaikovsky:  Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique" (Cantelli/Philharmonia Orchestra)

Velvet Underground:  Live at Second Fret, Philadelphia, 1970

Beethoven:  String Quartets Nos. 4-6 (Talich Quartet)

Cecil Taylor, The World of Cecil Taylor. Predictably.

Question. Listening to streaming versions of jazz albums, I occasionally find someone taking a solo which is almost inaudible while the rest of the group is vivid; like the solo is in another stereo channel while I am stuck with the first channel. Yes I am streaming to a Bluetooth speaker.

Is this a known thing. Like if I had a vinyl or CD I’d be able to hear that solo?