Today I played...

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Going to be a lot of dead angels.*

Cecil Taylor binge continues:

Air

Nefertiti the Beautiful One Has Come

*Looking just on Amazon for the five Taylor albums I just listened to on CD or vinyl, three are currently unavailable and the other two would set me back about $70 plus shipping. Bad news for angels. 

Schumann:  Symphony No. 4//Brahms:  Symphony No. 1 (Cantelli/Philharmonia Orchestra) (my MAN)

Purcell:  Overture/Pavan/Ground/Overture with Suite/Pavan/Fantasia (Chaconne):  Three Parts on a Ground/Overture/Suite/Pavan of Four Parts/Sefauchi's Farewell/A New Ground/Sonata/Fantasia/Fly Swift/The Faithful Brave/Return, Revolting Rebels (van Egmond//Leonhardt/Leonhardt-Consort/Brüggen Consort)

Janáček:  Piano Sonata "1.X.1905"/On an Overgrown Path/A Recollection/In the Mist (Firkušny) (yeah the earlier recordings are better -- so these are just great rather than magnificent)

black midi:  Cavalcade (boy do I like this more than their first one) (NOW I see what the big deal is)

Nir Felder:  Golden Age

10 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

You could get a Network Streamer, so you could route the stream through an audio system -- thereby not insulting music by listening to it on Bluetooth for God's sake, and saving a few angels in the balance.

Never heard of it. I will Google it. I do have a decent amp and speakers.

Cecil Taylor, Winged Serpent (Sliding Quadrants)

Cecil Taylor and Derek Bailey, Pleistozaen mit Wasser

The latter took some tracking down, but I found it on Bandcamp where there's a 10 volume set from a Taylor residency in Berlin with some tracks available free, including the two half hour sections of this work. The first section is a bit disappointing. Bailey is great but Taylor just sort of grunts in the background. Maybe the piano was locked. Second section, they both play.

Xenia Rubinos:  Una Rosa (really good)

Rameau:  Opera Excerpts (Wend/Sauterneau/Kolassi/Féres/Darenne/Maciet/Demigny/Conrad//Boulanger/Instrumental & Vocal Ensemble)

Sun Ra:  Lanquidity

Emile Naoumoff:  In Memoriam Lili Boulanger (works by L. Boulanger/N. Boulanger/Naoumoff)

Carter:  16 Compositions (2002-2009) (Various)

Duke Ellington:  The Reprise Studio Recordings (Disc5) (better Mary Poppins than "Blowin' in the Wind") (I guess)

Dowland/Coprario/Byrd/Simpson/Lupo/Morley/Bull/Tomkins/Gibbons/Farnaby/Tisdale/Anon.:  English Consort & Keyboard Music (Leonhardt/Leonhardt-Consort) (this is SO great)

Giustini:  12 Sonates di Cembalo di Piano e Forte Nos. I-VIII (Coen)

Smetana:  Ma Vlast

Ponchielli:  La Gioconda (Callas/Cossotto/Capuccilli//Votto/Orchestra e Choro del Teatro alla Scala di Milano)

Various:  Rough Trade electronic 01

Beethoven:  String Quartets Nos. 11 & 12/Große Fuge (Talich Quartet)

Biber/Muffat/Rosenmüller/Scheidt/Schmelzer:  Consort Music (Leonhardt/Leonhardt-Consort)

Bob Marley & The Wailers:  Confrontation