Today I played...

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Ravel:  Pavane pour une Infante Defunte//de Falla:  El Sombrero de Tres Picos//Debussy:  Prelude a l'Aprés-Midi d'un Faune//Dukas:  L'Aprenti Saucier (contrary to what you'd think, not about a sub-sauce cook)//Franck:  Symphony (Cantelli/Philharmonia Orchestra/RCA Symphony Orchestra) (I think Cantelli might be, in some ways, my ATF conductor:  Toscanini with culture and nuance)

Beethoven:  Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3 (Brendel//Rattle/Wiener Philharmoniker)

Louis Armstrong:  The Complete Louis Armstrong Columbia and RCA Victor Studio Recordings 1946-1966 (Disc IV)

Debussy:  La Mer/Le Martyre de Saint Sébastien/Nocturnes:  "Nuages"/"Fétes"//Ravel:  Daphnis et Chloé -- Suite No. 2 (Cantelli/Philharmonia Orchestra)

Dvorak:  Piano Quintets Nos. 1 & 2/Humoresque/"Songs My Mother Taught Me"/Piano Trio No. 4 "Dumka" -- V. Allegro (Dumka) (Firkušny/Ridge String Quartet/von Stade/Perlman/Ma)

Tyshawn Sorey:  Alloy (titanic)

David Lang:  the loser (Gilroy//Tao/Bang on a Can Opera Ensemble)

Bruce Levingston:  Still Sound

Graham Parker (KIDDING) Suzie Parker (KIDDING) Charlie Parker:  Bird:  The Complete Charlie Parker on Verve (Discs 7 & 8 )

Schubert:  Piano Sonata No. 14/Minuets (Volodos) (I prefer my Schubert more rickety)

Beethoven:  String Quartets Nos. 7 & 10 (Talich Quartet)

C.P.E. Bach:  Prussian Sonatas (van Asperen)

Brahms:  Piano Concerto No. 1/2 Bagatelles (Ax//Levine/Chicago Symphony Orchestra) (should be better)

Sibelius:  Luonotar/Tapiola/Peléas & Mélisandre Suite/Rakastava/Spring Song (Davidsen//Gardner/Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra)

Charlie Parker:  Bird:  The Compote Charlie Parker on Verve (Disc 9)

This could go in Dingbat of the Day. I hadn't listened to any Arvo Pärt in a while, so I scrolled through some of his work online and chose something I hadn't heard of before. Very tranquil, borderline drone, treated piano and stuff. But I kept saying to myself, this is not typical. 

Turned out to be something by a Northern Irish ambient musician called Arvo Party, mislabeled on my streaming service. Not bad, though.

C.P.E. Bachy:  Württemberg Sonatas Nos. 1-4 (van Asperen)

Mozarty:  Symphonies Nos. 33 "Prague" & 34 (Kubelik/Chicago Symphony Orchestra)

Wagnery:  Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg (Stewart/Kónya/Janowitz//Kubelik/Chor und Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks) (so two Kubeliks today:  the first excellent and the second unmatchable)

Charlie Parkery:  Bird:  The Complete Charlie Parker on Verve (Disc 10)

Berioy:  Recital for Cathy/Folk Songs/3 Songs by Kurt Weill (Weill arr. Berio) (Berberian//Berio/London Sinfonietta/Juilliard Ensemble)

Giustiniy:  12 Sonate de Cimbalo di Piano & Forte Nos. 9 - 12 (Coen)

Joshua Redmany Quartet:  Come What May

J.L. Adamsy:  Earth and the Great Weather