Today I played...

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Van Morrison, The Healing Game. One of his later albums, but with some great tracks - the title track, The Burning Ground and This Once Was My Life (with Georgie Fame's call-and-response backing voca

God what an innocent I was (am) - never realised the Sweetest Girl was about H. Will have to try to find my copy now and listen again. And Jacques Derrida - Scritti Politti changed my life - in a sm

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf,

Posted Images

Delibes:  Sylvia (Bonynge/New Philharmonia Orchestra)

Sibelius:  Symphony No. 1/Finlandia/Pohjola's Daughter/Tapiola (Davis/Boston Symphony Orchestra) (if Wilf can watch Kourismaki . . . .) (although this stuff is the Sibelius I don't much like, to be honest)

Novák:  Piano Concerto/At Dark/Toman and the Wood Nymph (Bartós//Hruša/Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra) (adults don't listen to things called "Toman and the Wood Nymph")

The Art Ensemble of Chicago:  Urban Bushmen

Elgar:  Sospiri//Britten:  Sinfonia da Requiem//Walton:  Troilus and Cressida -- Symphonic Suite//Vaughan Williams:  Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis (Gražinkyté-Tyla)

Aaron Parks:  Arborescence

On 11/20/2021 at 7:42 PM, Sneakeater said:

They’re playing “Sheena Is a Punk Rocker” during the break at this dance performance I’m at.

What a great record.  

I was in Bedford Cheese on Irving this evening singing along to “I Wanna be Sedated.”

Massenet:  Scènes Alsaciennes/Scènes Dramatiques/Marche des Princesses/Fantasy in D (Silberstein//Bonynge/L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande/National Philharmonic Orchestra)

Sibelius:  Symphonies Nos. 2 & 7 (Davis/Boston Symphony Orchestra)

The Pop Group, Y in Dub

I was surprised to see it because the original Y, produced by Dennis Bovell, was almost a dub version of the songs as performed live. But yes, this is dubbier. Interesting that Bovell is revisiting his work of more than 40 years ago. It does sound very fresh.

Louis Armstrong:  The Complete Louis Armstrong Columbia and RCA Studio Sessions 1945-1966 (Discs V & VII) (The Real Ambassadors is deplorable.  How did people think they could condescend to such a supremely great artist as Louis Armstrong?  And how can people whose judgment I respect think Dave Brubeck isn't terrible?)

Beethoven:  Piano Concertos Nos. 3-5 (Giles//Szell/Cleveland Orchestra)

Hindemith:  Organ Sonatas Nos. 1-3//David:  Fantasie & Fugue//DIstler:  Orgelsonate//Schroeder:  Kleine Präludeum & Intermezzi (Torén)

Sibelius:  Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4 (Davis/Boston Symphony Orchestra)

Brahms:  Violin Concerto/Double Concerto (Oistrakh/Rostropovich//Szell/Cleveland Orchestra)/

Lalo:  Symphonie Espagnole/Namouna (excerpts)/Divertissement:  Andantino/Scherzo for Orchestra/Rhapsodie Norvégienne/Le Roi d'Ys Overture//Chabrier:  Habanera/España/Suite Pastorale/Joyeuse Marche/Le Roi Malgré Lui Overture (Ricci//Ansermet/L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande)

Dan Weiss & Starebaby:  Natural Selection

The Beatles:  The Beatles (Sessions)

Massenet:  Cigale/Valse Très Lent/Le Cid/Lamento d'Ariane (Hartle//Bonynge/National Philharmonic Orchestra/London Voices)

Ashley:  Private Parts:  "The Park"/"The Backyard" (Ashley/Tyranny/Sheff)

Gillespie/Cole:  Tam Lin (Makaris Ensemble)

Haydn:  Symphonies Nos. 15, 35 & 45 "Farewell"/Scena di Berenice (Piau//Antonini/Il Giardino Armonico)

Schubert:  Symphony No. 9 "Great" (Szell/Cleveland Orchestra) (listening to this all the way through caused me to be late for a concert; it wasn't worth it)