Wilfrid1

Minetta Tavern

Thing is, I've never had the steaks. Maybe this was a piercing insight, that if you go beneath the look of the menu and consider what they're really doing, it's a steakhouse. Or, to put it another way, that whatever their intention might have been, the restaurant best functions, and is best used, as a steakhouse.

(I mean, there's no question in my mind that next time I go, I'm ordering a steak -- and if it's really all that, I'll have Bruni to thank for pointing me to it.)

Too bad he couldn't tell that Grayz was really a restaurant, though.

The menu doesn't read like a steakhouse's menu

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/minetta-tavern/

That menu doesn't seem representative of the current menu (according to Bruni's review). No cote de boeuf or sttrip steak listed, just the 'tavern steak'.

I agree it's probably a stretch to call the place a steakhouse though.

Assuming the beef is as good as claimed, I don't have a problem with his approach. It's the same way I treated Craft for years... as a steakhouse with above average sides, etc. The review actually makes me want to visit, though not badly enough to take a 6:00 or 10:00 table.

Assuming the beef is as good as claimed, I don't have a problem with his approach. It's the same way I treated Craft for years... as a steakhouse with above average sides, etc. The review actually makes me want to visit, though not badly enough to take a 6:00 or 10:00 table.

Interesting, I've never seen Craft as a steakhouse; more of a place that does meat (but not steaks, in the traditional sense), game, and fish (appetizers mainly) very well.

Interesting, I've never seen Craft as a steakhouse; more of a place that does meat (but not steaks, in the traditional sense), game, and fish (appetizers mainly) very well.

Oh, it's definitely not a steakhouse. But I would use it as one.

Not so much these days... for one, I don't go nearly as often, and when I do I tend to sample the menu a bit more.

You mean in the sense to tank up on loads of meat?

You mean in the sense to tank up on loads of meat?

Yeah, they always had good beef on the menu. And above average sides. They still have great beef, just a smaller selection.

Maybe this was a piercing insight, that if you go beneath the look of the menu and consider what they're really doing, it's a steakhouse.

No, it's just wacky and unhelpful. It suggests a limited menu of mostly grilled meat (plus the odd lobster) which is clearly not what MT offers. The steak might be wonderful; it might even be the best reason to go. But that doesn't make it a steakhouse and anyone going and expecting a Sparks/Smith&Wollensky/Keens/Luger experience is going to be surprised (pleasantly if they don't like steak).

My sense is that it's not a steakhouse, but a bistro whose best dishes, according to Bruni, happen to be steak. On a substantial menu, apparently just 2 or 3 dishes are steaks. Yes, the next time I go, that is what I'll try.

Er, Craft is an Italian restaurant. Have you not been paying attention all these years? :lol:

Certainly I agree that Craft can be treated as a steakhouse - how ironic that Craftsteak falls so far short in that category - but I was immediately struck by the thought that...

And did you expect that Mr. McNally, with the chefs Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson, would come up with the best steakhouse in the city? That’s what Minetta Tavern turns out to be.

...was a kind of quirky overstatement. But having no data, other than Oakie and his burger, I kept my peace for once.

Not so much these days... for one, I don't go nearly as often, and when I do I tend to sample the menu a bit more.

I agree with this analogy. The steakhouse concept is the best possible ingredients prepared simply. That is the same with Craft. Colicchio hardly invented anything, he simply realized that the steakhouse concept could be expanded to lobster, pork and lamb . . . and the sides could be better.

The steakhouse concept is the best possible ingredients prepared simply. That is the same with Craft. Colicchio hardly invented anything, he simply realized that the steakhouse concept could be expanded to lobster, pork and lamb . . . and the sides could be better.

Is that really the steakhouse concept? I mean, a steakhouse is just a place that serves primarily steaks—whether they're the best possible is a whole other question. Outback is a steakhouse.