Feh. The only farmer-direct apples I can get here are red "delicious" and jonathans. The latter weren't bad (made a nice galette) but the former were mealy and flavorless. The supermarket ones are even worse.

The best apple I ever had in my life was up in the mountains near the cedar forest in lebanon, practically right off the tree. It looked like a cousin of a red delicious (though it was so dark red as to be nearly purple.) The weather was cold so the apple was cold, very crisp but tasted like honey.

Sigh. :wub:

I think apples taste much better cold. I just had one right from my fridge--so crisp and sweet.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a Honey Crisp gal but I've got a friend looking for Grafenstein. Anyone heard of them?   What do you think makes the best apple sauce? Apple pie? Apple crisp?

Had my first honeycrisp this weekend. Very good.

I'm a Honey Crisp gal

Its funny how you've never heard of something and then suddenly all your friends are talking about them (tipping point). Liza, just after you mentioned this last year my girlfriend in Chicago raved about these. And then so many others on this thread chimed in about the honey crisps. I've been looking for them here in the UK... but no luck yet.

I'm a Honey Crisp gal

Its funny how you've never heard of something and then suddenly all your friends are talking about them (tipping point). Liza, just after you mentioned this last year my girlfriend in Chicago raved about these. And then so many others on this thread chimed in about the honey crisps. I've been looking for them here in the UK... but no luck yet.

Honey Crisps are also my favorite.

BTW I had a delicious caramel apple last night. Perhaps the best ever. From Margie's Candies in Chicago. The apple (Granny Smith) was perfect, cool and crisp and sour, and the caramel . . . :wub:

• 11 months later...

Apples are back.

I got some lovely Macouns this weekend at the greenmarket. I particularly like tart apples and even though these have a sweetness as well as a tartness, they are tops in my book.

Greenings still rock my world, though.

Ever so similiar but yet...not...the Asian pears this year are terrific.

I have never found the American Asian pears to be as good as the Korean ones (even within those the variation is remarkable). I guess I'll just have to try our own again.

Had some incredible apples last fall in Madison, right around the end of October. Don't remember the name. I am hoping to find a similarly amazing supply from some local farmer -- the peaches have been really good so I am optimistic. Now if only I can find some cheese curds.

Asian pear -- indispensible in Mul Naeng Myun, but the season for that is quickly slipping away. :blink: