• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a Honey Crisp gal but I've got a friend looking for Grafenstein. Anyone heard of them?   What do you think makes the best apple sauce? Apple pie? Apple crisp?

Had my first honeycrisp this weekend. Very good.

Asian pears and raw beef sounds decadent in a very good way.

Went apple-picking today and have returned with a large pile of Cortland and Macs. Plus a few pears. I have an apple-strawberry cobbler in the oven right now. Tomorrow, I make turnovers for lunches and then I think I may try the Mapie custard tart.

It hasn't occurred to me to preserve them whole; they're such an awesome source of pectin, I keep thinking of ways to use the jelly for other purposes. Just this week, I made a swell hot pepper jelly starting with crabapples.

but think about the presentation - and the taste of the whole apple is amazing - i remember this from my childhood - one of the best preserves ever: and if the distant memory doesn't fail me - they were sometimes sliced in half lengthwise - the presentation is here and you have your pectins.

Locust Grove had a brand new variety of apple available last week. It's called the Ronnette - it's in the Russet family with the light brown rough skin but a greenish undertone. Apparently, the variety originally comes from England. It's very hard and the flavor reminds me a bit of a real red delicious but much firmer to the tooth.

I finally got my hands on some Cox's Orange Pippins today. Hands down the best apple I've ever eaten – tart (almost citrusy), sweet, crisp, juicy. Perfect.

My favorite farm stand – Clearbrook Farm in Shaftsbury, VT – is selling heirloom apples from the Scott Farm in Dummerston. I had some Gravensteins last week; the COPs are superior. There were a number of other varieties, but I chose to ignore them because I was so excited about finding the COPs.

I was likewise excited when I found COPs at my neighborhood farmer's market last weekend. I love the flavor, but they weren't quite enough for me to enjoy eating straight. They make a lovely crisp, though.

Their aroma struck me as almost pear-like.