• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the other day we found ourselves with a car and time on our hands while returning from a trip with friends. i remembered that a newish pizza place in Bushwick, which had an impressive xmas menu. unass

Not just the beer - everything down to dessert wines.

Very recently someone who's taste I trust told me there is some serious cooking coming out of this kitchen. Initially I thought it was a joke but apparently not.

The Pink Pig stakes its claim as the internet's number one source on Bushwick dining with a full review of Roberta's, fuzzy pictures and all.

I like the calzones better than the pizza at Roberta's... I think the place is fun.. curious what the outside is like in the spring.

I don't think I've ever eaten a calzone.

They're good at Lucali's too. One of the nice things is that unlike pizza, calzones are not yet a cult item with true believers yammering about some type of divine tasting experience. You can just enjoy them on their own terms. You're not going to think they're life changing but you'll probably like them. Make sure you order them with something zippy inside like sausage. They can be a bit bland otherwise.

Mm. They look about as appealing as knishes, but those I've tried. It only just occurred to me that I don't remember eating one.

There are good knishes. The potato ones from Second Avenue Deli come to mind. With mustard. Mmmm.

I'd agree that the calzones with a little meat in them are better, less stodgy. Personally I hate tomato sauce anywhere near them but I think that is probably a minority opinion.

You know, so did I. All the buzz was about the pizzas. "Oh they're great! He's channeling Dom DeMarco! He's the young master!"

And I liked the pizzas fine but I liked the calzones more. Maybe it's because there was no build up and no overly inflated expectations.

Sometimes the raves work against a place. If a friend says "Let me tell you the funniest joke I've heard all year" I always think "This better be damn good." He would have been better off if he had just told me the joke.

• 7 months later...

We had a great meal here tonight that included no pizza, no calzone, and no wine in jars. I'll write more about it tomorrow, but sweet shrimp in poppy seed, uni and burrata, normandy duck hung for a month should give you an idea. The same food in fancy Manhattan digs would rank well above some Michelin two stars.