just because you (2nd plural) don't like something doesn't mean it's universally bad on face value. or more specifically, what you (not you specifically necessarily wilfrid) find uncomfortable ugly unpleasant etc. might not be to a certain clientele.

just gonna put that out there

Why, honestly, would you put that out there?

Just because I don't like something doesn't mean its bad. Right. Kind of obvious.

Think it over again. Of course there are things some people like and others don't. We know that. I am concerned with examples like seating acknowledged to be uncomfortable; service acknowledged to be obnoxious; opening hours acknowledged to be inhospitable.

I am not talking about examples where reasonable people could disagree over whether something is good or bad. I am trying very clearly to go after examples where people generally are saying - hey, this is awful, but that's kind of cool!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the other day we found ourselves with a car and time on our hands while returning from a trip with friends. i remembered that a newish pizza place in Bushwick, which had an impressive xmas menu. unass

Not just the beer - everything down to dessert wines.

Very recently someone who's taste I trust told me there is some serious cooking coming out of this kitchen. Initially I thought it was a joke but apparently not.

just because you (2nd plural) don't like something doesn't mean it's universally bad on face value. or more specifically, what you (not you specifically necessarily wilfrid) find uncomfortable ugly unpleasant etc. might not be to a certain clientele.

Just because I don't like something doesn't mean its bad. Right. Kind of obvious.

Think it over again. Of course there are things some people like and others don't. We know that. I am concerned with examples like seating acknowledged to be uncomfortable; service acknowledged to be obnoxious; opening hours acknowledged to be inhospitable.

I am not talking about examples where reasonable people could disagree over whether something is good or bad. I am trying very clearly to go after examples where people generally are saying - hey, this is awful, but that's kind of cool!

well, you seem to take it as a given that if you/your homies think a bench is uncomfortable or music is annoying it must be. if you look at the conversation about the dutch, it's pretty obvious that a whole lot of people don't find the scene obnoxious at all. a group of people on here find it repulsive. oh yes then, it must be repulsive, because a sampling of 5 people on this message board believe it to be so! since when is it acknowledged that the seating at x is uncomfortable? read reviews of ko--some people think the seating's fine, some complain it hurts their back. I was fine sitting at roberta's for 3+ hours, not going to find me whining about a bench. your "people" is a sizable but not nearly all inclusive proportion of the population.

eta: oh, and I put it out there because someone clearly needed to remove the stick from your bench-cramped behind

eta: suzanne, if you want to copy edit this please do. i'm low on caffeine and can't seem to locate the spell check functionality on this interface.

It's a very simple request. A three year old could understand it.

I would like to be able to go to Roberta's (all snark aside about Brooklyn being a different planet) without having to jump through hoops to make a reservation.

That's all.

well, you seem to take it as a given that if you/your homies think a bench is uncomfortable or music is annoying it must be. if you look at the conversation about the dutch, it's pretty obvious that a whole lot of people don't find the scene obnoxious at all. a group of people on here find it repulsive. oh yes then, it must be repulsive, because a sampling of 5 people on this message board believe it to be so! since when is it acknowledged that the seating at x is uncomfortable? read reviews of ko--some people think the seating's fine, some complain it hurts their back. I was fine sitting at roberta's for 3+ hours, not going to find me whining about a bench. your "people" is a sizable but not nearly all inclusive proportion of the population.

eta: oh, and I put it out there because someone clearly needed to remove the stick from your bench-cramped behind

eta: suzanne, if you want to copy edit this please do. i'm low on caffeine and can't seem to locate the spell check functionality on this interface.

Get a grip.

Have a laugh.

Get a grip.

Have a laugh.

Good response.

*Slow clap*

Did your parents teach you it was OK to be so disrespectful to others?

What a jerk.

lolz are you forreal? as my mother says, sometimes the lint filter of one's brain (that's yours for the record) just might have a hole in it.

(

As my mother says, sometimes the lint filter of one's brain just might have a hole in it.

)

I imagine it probably has to do with cost, overhead and labor. As well as the cost of other projects in the works (i.e., the soon-to-be built restaurant annex next door). Wild speculation.

And maybe Chef wants to build a following, and therefore a "brand".

It's a very simple request. A three year old could understand it.

I would like to be able to go to Roberta's (all snark aside about Brooklyn being a different planet) without having to jump through hoops to make a reservation.

That's all.

And I'd like to be able to go to EMP without having to jump through hoops to make a reservation.

But you know what? I can't.

I was fine sitting at roberta's for 3+ hours, not going to find me whining about a bench. your "people" is a sizable but not nearly all inclusive proportion of the population.

To be fair, carpentry is not their strong point. I don't mind it, but I can see how others would (in fact I think about 20% of people I dined with there later complained of literal PITAs). It's not a totally subjective matter because clearly normal chairs would benefit diners who care about them and wouldn't hurt us any (except maybe in that Roberta's wouldn't exist).

I think Wilfrid's overall rejection of certain currents in hipster aesthetics (and the physical manifestations of the same when appropriated by the mainstream) deserves its own thread though.

Did your parents teach you it was OK to be so disrespectful to others?

What a jerk.

lolz are you forreal? as my mother says, sometimes the lint filter of one's brain (that's yours for the record) just might have a hole in it.

(

As my mother says, sometimes the lint filter of one's brain just might have a hole in it.

)

Yes, I know what I've written here because I actually think about it beforehand. Speak with intent but be lean of expression. Maybe you should take that to heart.

And yes, you are a jerk. A pretentious and disrespectful jerk.

I'm not a fan of exclusive "clubs" either. But I think that Roberta's is not that kind of place and I think it deserved a review.

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone disputed it was reviewable. To the extent that issue is part of the argument, it is a strawman.

well, you seem to take it as a given that if you/your homies think a bench is uncomfortable or music is annoying it must be.

I think Wilfrid is talking about things that are pretty much indisputable.

I don't know anyone who is worthy of respect, who thinks a hard wooden backless bench is generally more comfortable than a normal upholstered chair. I'm not talking about some strange contraption of a chair, but a normal one. There might be many people, mostly younger, whose backs are strong, who don't mind the bench. But to say you don't mind it is not the same thing as saying it is actually better.

Likewise, you might not mind emailing or calling the restaurant and waiting maybe two months for the one table per week that can seat 4, but not 2, or 1, or 6. But that doesn't mean it is actually better that way.

I've gone to the Momofuku restaurants a number of times -- nowhere near as often as many people on this board, but I don't mind them. At times, they offer food sufficiently interesting that you excuse their flaws. But no one should deny that these things ARE flaws. They aren't merely different; they're worse.

well, you seem to take it as a given that if you/your homies think a bench is uncomfortable or music is annoying it must be.

I think Wilfrid is talking about things that are pretty much indisputable.

I don't know anyone who is worthy of respect, who thinks a hard wooden backless bench is generally more comfortable than a normal upholstered chair. I'm not talking about some strange contraption of a chair, but a normal one. There might be many people, mostly younger, whose backs are strong, who don't mind the bench. But to say you don't mind it is not all the same thing as saying it is actually better.

Likewise, you might not mind emailing or calling the restaurant and waiting maybe two months for the one table per week that can seat 4, but not 2, or 1, or 6. But that doesn't mean it is actually better that way.

I've gone to the Momofuku restaurants a number of times -- nowhere near as often as many people on this board, but I don't mind them. At times, they offer food sufficiently interesting that you excuse their flaws. But no one should deny that these things ARE flaws. They aren't merely different; they're worse.

the other important point - and wilf brought this up - if those flaws exist because of economic realities (partially part of Orik's argument wrt to Roberta's and food quality) that's one thing, when those flaws persist for other reasons, it is a much more reasonable thing to complain about.