It will be interesting to see if the Roberta's regulars think the new comfy space ruins the restaurant. Although I would personally prefer to eat a tasting menu in such a space, it is totally alien to what Roberta's was originally about.

And at $185 a head, you're starting to enter Brooklyn Fare territory, and expectations will be a lot higher.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the other day we found ourselves with a car and time on our hands while returning from a trip with friends. i remembered that a newish pizza place in Bushwick, which had an impressive xmas menu. unass

Not just the beer - everything down to dessert wines.

Very recently someone who's taste I trust told me there is some serious cooking coming out of this kitchen. Initially I thought it was a joke but apparently not.

I hope they've researched this carefully, because I've been repeatedly assured that, far from finding it uncomfortable and inconvenient, people actually prefer to wait in line to eat in a garage-like environment, sitting on upturned trash cans, drinking out of jars, while listening to forty-year old heavy metal.

I was starting to believe it.

diners sit on luxuriously padded captain’s chairs set before a wide bar facing the open kitchen...Servers bring plates from the kitchen and offer wine and cocktails...Customers arrive to honor reservations...

People are going to hate this, right? It's not what they're looking for any more.

rotfl, like x10

Without getting into it (yet, again), the decision to ratchet up "comfort" when you're serving a menu in a Real Restaurant (kinda sorta) that costs $180 a head has as much to do with who is willing and able to spend $180 a head as anything else. It's as much economics as the other one.

Did they bump up their price between the last few dinners served in the Roberta's space and the dinners served in the Blanca space? Seems like it shouldn't matter too much, especially if the Roberta's waitlist was sufficiently long that Blanca won't even start taking reservations until August.

I assume this is just a way to get New Yorkers to the restaurant. The real Roberta's crowd, the Brooklynites, will be in the main restaurant, scoffing at the arrogant asses who want to sit in chairs and be served like they were royalty.