• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the other day we found ourselves with a car and time on our hands while returning from a trip with friends. i remembered that a newish pizza place in Bushwick, which had an impressive xmas menu. unass

Not just the beer - everything down to dessert wines.

Very recently someone who's taste I trust told me there is some serious cooking coming out of this kitchen. Initially I thought it was a joke but apparently not.

What are you gloating about? The weird part about all of this is that someone opened a restaurant with benches and jars which served top notch food and (surprise!) became very popular but you (not you you) feel a need to make grand statements about PR pulling wool over eyes, jam jar costs (have you ever tried making jam? -- jam jars are usually more expensive than cheap stemware), etc, when, in fact, maybe they just wanted to make a restaurant. I guess I have the (dis)advantage of actually knowing some of the kids who make/work at these restaurants. And trust me, NONE of them think the way -- or as much about -- these restaurants as you all do.

It's really some kids who want to make a restaurant with good food. And if they become wildly popular to the point where they can buy $500 chairs, OF COURSE, they will do it. PR with magical wool just isn't the reality.

Oh the stools at Ssam Bar - they're uncomfortable. And anyone who says they aren't is lying or delusive.

I've never had a problem with the stools at Ssam. And as I noted, my Mom had no problem with the stools at Ko. Try leaning forward and putting your elbows on the counter.

What are you gloating about?

Being right.

I have no opinion on the price of jam jars, but if they are more expensive, I'd love to know why anyone would buy them rather than wine glasses, then pull them in favor of wine glasses, except as the result of an aesthetic choice later regretted.

Oh the stools at Ssam Bar - they're uncomfortable. And anyone who says they aren't is lying or delusive.

I've never had a problem with the stools at Ssam. And as I noted, my Mom had no problem with the stools at Ko. Try leaning forward and putting your elbows on the counter.

Sorry, I too have no problems with the stools at the counter; it's sitting on little wooden boxes around a table I don't much like, although you can make your own entertainment.

mcgill.jpg

What are you gloating about?

Being right.

I have no opinion on the price of jam jars, but if they are more expensive, I'd love to know why anyone would buy them rather than wine glasses, then pull them in favor of wine glasses, except as the result of an aesthetic choice later regretted.

They are more expensive than cheap wine glasses. I'm sure they're cheaper than the glasses they ended up buying.

Sorry, I too have no problems with the stools at the counter; it's sitting on little wooden boxes around a table I don't much like, although you can make your own entertainment.

mcgill.jpg

aren't those little tables a remnant of the fast-food concept? In that case they are intentionally uncomfortable.

Sometimes I go canoe camping in the wilderness and, because it is heavy and bulky, I don't bring my sleeping pad. The ground is uncomfortable to sleep on but I go anyway because the benefits outweigh the discomfort. I have the financial means to buy an expensive sleeping pad that folds up so I can carry it in my wallet but I don't do it. It just doesn't matter that much because the trips are only a few days.

I used to go canoe camping much more often when I was 25 and my body cared a bit less about sleeping on the ground.

When I talk about my experience wilderness camping some people can't get past how uncomfortable it would be to sleep on the ground or that you have to carry heavy pack and a canoe or that you have to hang your food from a tree to keep the animals from eating it. I'm glad they don't go with me and complain the entire time.

Sometimes I go canoe camping in the wilderness and, because it is heavy and bulky, I don't bring my sleeping pad. The ground is uncomfortable to sleep on but I go anyway because the benefits outweigh the discomfort. I have the financial means to buy an expensive sleeping pad that folds up so I can carry it in my wallet but I don't do it. It just doesn't matter that much because the trips are only a few days.

I used to go canoe camping much more often when I was 25 and my body cared a bit less about sleeping on the ground.

When I talk about my experience wilderness camping some people can't get past how uncomfortable it would be to sleep on the ground or that you have to carry heavy pack and a canoe or that you have to hang your food from a tree to keep the animals from eating it. I'm glad they don't go with me and complain the entire time.

Telling Parables now. Have you really been pushed that far?

They might be right to complain if it was equally easy and convenient to bring a mattress. I can see that it wouldn't be in that case.

And they probably shouldn't complain if they chose to go with him when there was a nice hotel with a swimming pool, a/c & cushy bedding less than a mile away. Hey, just saying" :ph43r:

They might be right to complain if it was equally easy and convenient to bring a mattress. I can see that it wouldn't be in that case.

And they probably shouldn't complain if they chose to go with him when there was a nice hotel with a swimming pool, a/c & cushy bedding less than a mile away. Hey, just saying" :ph43r:

You heard about this? A boutique "salvaged-brick" hotel, farting distance of Blanca. Insane.

You heard about this? A boutique "salvaged-brick" hotel, farting distance of Blanca. Insane.

Pleeease.... Bklyn has been insane now for years. Makes me mad that I ever posted good things about the early places on CH, etc and encouraged folks to come across the river.

As for hotels, I guess you haven't noticed that there are 3-4 hotels now available on the stretch of 3rd Ave the is affectionately known as Gowanus? Yes, Littleneck and a handful of other nice places are there and the Slope is only 2 blocks away in one direction while Smith St and other Boerum Hill trendy spots are 2-3 blocks in the other and the stadium will open in walking distance. But right now they're charging full rates to stay on a strip that is full of car mechanics, used car dealers and empty lots. And there's limited on site parking at two of them, according to friends who've managed to get put there on business trips to Bklyn (the "downtown" Sheraton and Marriott were full).

And of course you've noticed that the by the hour hotel off the Battery Tunnel entrance in Red Hook has spruced up and is now advertising itself as a reputable place to stay?

Seriously, I'd rather be around the corner from Roberta's. Have I mentioned that my 2 most recent trips to Austin and Oahu have both yielded conversations with wait staff that have worked at Roberta's?

Cant The Bronx get trendy soon? Please.