My own personal feeling is that my grandparents lived on the Grand Concourse, and the housing stock and urban design there is so fantastic that it would just HAVE to become attractive to upper-middle-clas people if it could only be fixed up.

But the distance IS a problem.

Those buildings *are* great and the Concourse sits right on top of the D line. If gentrification (for lack of a better word) is going to come it will start there.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the other day we found ourselves with a car and time on our hands while returning from a trip with friends. i remembered that a newish pizza place in Bushwick, which had an impressive xmas menu. unass

Not just the beer - everything down to dessert wines.

Very recently someone who's taste I trust told me there is some serious cooking coming out of this kitchen. Initially I thought it was a joke but apparently not.

Yes, Bushwick aint the Slope. But its not just Roberta's by a long shot. Even I've been to at least 2 other places in the area that serve good food. And lots of 20somethings who work in the other areas of Bklyn and in Manhattan all live in Bushwick ("East Williamsburg"????).

Whoa, wait up. Not just Roberta's? Please tell me the names of the other two places. I assume one is Northeast Kingdom...which is, okay. The Morgan closed. What else is there?

Yes, lots of twenty-somethings live, and aspire to live, in Bushwick, but they remain a tiny grouplet within the broad community.

Yes, Bushwick aint the Slope. But its not just Roberta's by a long shot. Even I've been to at least 2 other places in the area that serve good food. And lots of 20somethings who work in the other areas of Bklyn and in Manhattan all live in Bushwick ("East Williamsburg"????).

Whoa, wait up. Not just Roberta's? Please tell me the names of the other two places. I assume one is Northeast Kingdom...which is, okay. The Morgan closed. What else is there?

Yes, lots of twenty-somethings live, and aspire to live, in Bushwick, but they remain a tiny grouplet within the broad community.

I think you need to look at Bushwick differently.

Wizard-of-Oz-Emerald-City.jpg

My personal unprovable Bronx hypothesis is geograhical. Williamsburg is one subway stop from very desirable hip neighborhoods in Manhattan. When hipsters were priced out of Manhattan, it was the next logical place to go. When they were priced out of Williamsburg (or no longer considered it cool), they just kept moving one L train stop farther out.

Bronx isn't adjacent to anything that's cool (in the sense of kewlness we are talking about). Leave the Bronx by subway, headed toward Manhattan, and you have to pass through miles and miles of uncoolness, before you get back to cool.

right!!!!

Washington Heights is cool if you're Dominican. South Bronx, like Lex says, around the stadium and Joyce E Kilmer Park should be feasible. Some of the bars have been sprucing their act up.

And some of the restaurants around Yankee Stadium are providing additional amenities.

Actually, I was referring to Northeast Kingdom, which I liked a lot, and also The Wreck Room ( http://bushwickbk.com/2009/05/20/cheap-drinks-food-with-flair-at-wreck-room/ ) which I believe is still open. Of course, the link then reminded me of Life Cafe ( http://lifecafe.com/ ), a place that I probably will never go to but which suits my purposes here all the same. Truth be told, when I wrote the post I thought I understated the # because I mis-remembered Saraghina as being in Bushwick, not Bed-Stuy. Only 5 minutes by car though.

Like OMG, OMG, the Wreck Room is kind of open, but the kitchen has been through a number of different incarnations. Don't know what it's currently serving, if anything. It is a pretty frightening dive bar, though. I know two people who got into fights there.

Life Cafe, the sibling of the place which died in the East Village: no. Or brunch only.

There is nothing but Roberta's, and Northeast Kingdom - which is not a destination but a fair neighborhood bistro.

Five minutes by car is...out of Bushwick!

ist2_4785884-champagne1.jpg

Yes, there's Manna's, and plenty of inexpensive tortas and empanadas.

ETA: This is good news for Roberta's - or Blanca anyway - if people start opening hotels.

i had lunch at Hill Country BBQ today. It's not very good. But, to the point, they serve water in mason jars. If you all can't drink wine out of a mason jar without dribbling it down your chin, you're morons.