• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the other day we found ourselves with a car and time on our hands while returning from a trip with friends. i remembered that a newish pizza place in Bushwick, which had an impressive xmas menu. unass

Not just the beer - everything down to dessert wines.

Very recently someone who's taste I trust told me there is some serious cooking coming out of this kitchen. Initially I thought it was a joke but apparently not.

How about Spanish Harlem? Would any sane person live in Washington Heights if he or she didn't have to?

Good point. There are places that people have to live and places where people want to live.

right...it gets written about a lot cause so many entry level people in media and publishing can only afford to live there (short of doing the classic 3 to a 1 bedroom in Murray Hill or Yorktown)

But you know how it works, right? First, people go there because they're priced out everywhere else. Then, shops & bars & restaurants arrive to serve them. Then, suddenly, it's no longer so undesirable; perhaps it's even cool. Then, the lofts and condos arrive. I remember when, anywhere beyond a 1-block radius of Peter Luger, Williamsburg was considered dangerous after dark (other than the Orthodox part).

I suppose no one here needs to be reminded that the four letters of Alphabet City once stood for A-Okay, Brave, Crazy, and Dead.

right...it gets written about a lot cause so many entry level people in media and publishing can only afford to live there (short of doing the classic 3 to a 1 bedroom in Murray Hill or Yorktown)

But you know how it works, right? First, people go there because they're priced out everywhere else. Then, shops & bars & restaurants arrive to serve them. Then, suddenly, it's no longer so undesirable; perhaps it's even cool. Then, the lofts and condos arrive. I remember when, anywhere beyond a 1-block radius of Peter Luger, Williamsburg was considered dangerous after dark (other than the Orthodox part).

I suppose no one here needs to be reminded that the four letters of Alphabet City once stood for A-Okay, Brave, Crazy, and Dead.

oh agreed...though Bushwick does have rather limited subway access...

But you know how it works, right? First, people go there because they're priced out everywhere else. Then, shops & bars & restaurants arrive to serve them. Then, suddenly, it's no longer so undesirable; perhaps it's even cool.

Ideally, yes. But it doesn't always pan out that way.

Bushwick may have a glowing future ahead of it, but in the four years since Roberta's opened, few other shops, bars and restaurants have arrived (or survived), despite the evident influx of residents (who go out in other neighborhoods in the evening: see L Train).

Would any sane person live in Washington Heights if he or she didn't have to?

It's a bit more nuanced than that. You know, the Columbia University Medical Center is up there, and some people like to live near where they work. There are also some apartments up there with terrific unobstructed river views, which I know because I live in one of 'em.

If you mean by your comment, "With infininte money, I'd have chosen to live elsewhere," that's of course true, but it's probably true of everyone here.

Would any sane person live in Washington Heights if he or she didn't have to?

It's a bit more nuanced than that. You know, the Columbia University Medical Center is up there, and some people like to live near where they work. There are also some apartments up there with terrific unobstructed river views, which I know because I live in one of 'em.

If you mean by your comment, "With infininte money, I'd have chosen to live elsewhere," that's of course true, but it's probably true of everyone here.

Actually, I was just teasing you.

I know about ten people who have lived in washington heights and inwood. every single one didn't like it and moved as soon as they could afford to.

Because I live there myself, I know many others who've lived there for years and loved it. The change in my financial status that would be required before I'd consider leaving is on the order of winning the lottery.

(It's a VERY large area, with micro-hoods that vary considerably in how desirable they are. It would be difficult to comment further on your 10 people without knowing more about where they lived.)

I know about ten people who have lived in washington heights and inwood. every single one didn't like it and moved as soon as they could afford to.

my mother lives there (in inwood, right near the bottom of the big stairs on i think 181st). she ended up there because it was very convenient for work before she retired (bronx VA). she likes it fine though i am sure she would rather be living someplace more central that she doesn't consider that she can afford.

i don't think i'd like it much but it does have its positives. seems culturally different from the rest of manhattan - reminds me of my idea of new york pre 1990 - overeducated loudmouths wandering the grocery stores angry at the world - just look at what this yogurt costs

she likes it fine though i am sure she would rather be living someplace more central that she doesn't consider that she can afford.

The percentage of New Yorkers who would live somewhere else, if they had more money, must be extremely high.

she likes it fine though i am sure she would rather be living someplace more central that she doesn't consider that she can afford.

The percentage of New Yorkers who would live somewhere else, if they had more money, must be extremely high.

I think it's exceeded by the percentage of NYers who wish their apartment was twice the size it actually is.

• 2 weeks later...

Expectations are a funny thing.

Having read Orik's account of the Seafood Garden Dinner, I went to the Goat Garden Dinner last night expecting a total ratfest. Rats writhing en masse along the sidelines. Rats dancing in synchronized formations under and around the tables. Rats climbing up the beams and then jumping down from the tented ceiling.

So when I only saw three discrete rats at different times fairly far away from the tables, I thought it almost wasn't a big deal. I mean, three rats, one at a time, far away, over the course of a few hours. Almost not disgusting.

The food was a little better than I expected. The orecchiette with goat, Sardinian goat cheese, and tomato was a standout. As were the rillettes. It did get a bit monotonous over several courses, though.

The wines were very well-chosen. They were all fairly cheap, but also interesting: the kind of things I drink at home.

The crowd was pleasant, although one has to hold onto one's patience with Manhattanites who think it's a big deal to venture into Brooklyn.

Worth $115, probably.