I don't have a real recipe for the potato kugel. Basically 5 pounds of potatoes and about 3 pounds of onions. Seven eggs. lots of salt and pepper. Matzoh meal. The key is pre-heating the pan which has oil in it, and then swirling the oil around to coat the sides before pouring in the batter. Baked in a 350 oven for about 2 hours. I used a 9 x 13 pan so the kugel is very high.

As for the the swiss chard and mushroom - saute 2 cups of chopped onions and set aside. In same pan, saute garlic and mushrooms (1 pound, thinly sliced) until all the moisture is pulled out. Add to onions. In a somewhat bigger pan (I used a sauteuse), saute more garlic and the stems from the swiss chard (1 inch pieces) for about 5 minutes. Add the swiss chard, which is damp and sliced in ribbons - wilt and cook down until all the liquid has evaporated. Break up 4 matzohs and place in large bowl. Soak with 1.5 cups chicken stock and let sit about 3 minutes. Add to matzoh 6 eggs (beaten), salt and pepper. Add the vegetables and some chopped thyme and combine. Place in a 9 x 13 pan and bake in a 350F oven for about 35 minutes (I needed 50 minutes because it was quite wet). I made this kugel last year and it was hit. Very savory. As Blovie likes to say "U-mami!!"

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started cooking today. The chicken soup is done as is the potato kugel (which is really quite magnificent looking, if I must say so) and a garlicky swiss chard and mushroom kugel.

We have a crisis of epic proportions on our hands - I'm having problems finding shlivovitz, which is my go-to drink. And if you had to put up with your in-laws and b-i-l for 3 days, you would need hard alcohol as well.

If you don't mind trekking out to Queens, Grand Wine & Liquors in Astoria (just under the 30th Avenue N/W station) has several brands of slivovitz from all over Central & Eastern Europe. Don't know if any of them are K for P, though.

Skyview Wine and Spirits in Riverdale has the most extensive selection of Kosher wines and spirits in the area. They've got 2 kinds of kosher for passover slivovitz and they will deliver for free to Manhattan if your order exceeds $150.

More info here:

http://www.skyviewwine.com/main.asp?reques...&article=20

If you just want to pick up a bottle locally, I would try calling Gotham wines on Broadway & 94th Street, Acker Merrall on West 72nd, or Ehrlichs on Amsterdam at 70th.

We have a crisis of epic proportions on our hands - I'm having problems finding shlivovitz, which is my go-to drink. And if you had to put up with your in-laws and b-i-l for 3 days, you would need hard alcohol as well.

You said a mouthful, sister!

Yorkshire Wines on First Ave. and 85th has both of the Jelinek slivovitzes', the "wheel" shaped bottle and this one, which I prefer:

56917.jpg

Skyview Wine and Spirits in Riverdale has the most extensive selection of Kosher wines and spirits in the area. They've got 2 kinds of kosher for passover slivovitz and they will deliver for free to Manhattan if your order exceeds $150.

More info here:

http://www.skyviewwine.com/main.asp?reques...&article=20

If you just want to pick up a bottle locally, I would try calling Gotham wines on Broadway & 94th Street, Acker Merrall on West 72nd, or Ehrlichs on Amsterdam at 70th.

It was Gotham that didn't have it - it seems the distributor sent them non-Pesachdik shlivovitz. :o

My Fresh Direct order arrived last night and when I unpacked the two shoulders of lamb, I realized that I had not taken into account the difference between the European-sized lamb called for in my recipe and the American-sized lamb on my kitchen counter. I think I'll cook the larger of the shoulders for the Seder, and freeze the smaller, cut into two pieces -- half for a roast or braise and the other half cut up for a stew or curry. (That should give you some idea of the size of these things.)

This Roden orange/almond cake: recipe available all over the web. Am I correct in thinking you're supposed to pulp up the whole oranges, including the peels, for inclusion in the cake? Thanks.

This Roden orange/almond cake: recipe available all over the web. Am I correct in thinking you're supposed to pulp up the whole oranges, including the peels, for inclusion in the cake? Thanks.

You are correct.

So, I'm making a dacquoise.......... :unsure: . Any tips?

Easier to make than a layer cake! Whose recipe are you using?

That's what I was thinking. Started out with the idea of making macarons, but thought I might as well tackle a classic. Now, I'm a fearless baker; I've made hundreds of cakes, pies, tarts, many towering wedding cakes. Somehow I'm feeling cowed with this one. I'm looking at a bunch of recipes:

-Saveur/Cote Basque

-Julia's "The Way to Cook" recipe (a nice rectangle shape that I like)

-Gourmet cookbook recipe

-Nick Malgieri on Leite's

I'm not too worried about the filling element. I'm more concerned about getting the meringue layers right. Nice and even, not thin at the edges.

Smooth the batter with a large offset spatula. I've done round ones on the bottom of cake tins. Rectangles are nice because they're easy to serve.

You can always trim them after they're baked, and filling/frosting hides any sins!

Shlivovitz has been bought in Teaneck. I had a choice of 3 different ones and chose one I've never had before. It's been aged 5 years. My nightmare is over. :)

Beef cheeks are about to go into the oven (the braising liquid is reducing while I type)