Sign in to follow this  
Howard V

Zürich

Hi everyone, I recently moved to Zürich, so I'll be posting occasionally on restaurants here.

Here's my first go:

This Saturday though, I had a really nice meal at Divine Bar. It's an unpretentious little Modern European restaurant, mid-range rather than casual.

My starter of king prawns on a potato blini with a vodka-lime-cream sauce, does sound a bit old hat and entirely unconnected with Swiss terroir. On the other hand, it just tasted good. The prawns were delicately cooked, the blini added a little bit of background and the sauce was more-ish. My main course was a fillet of pata negra pork with morcilla, apple and kohlrabi. It was thick fillet the centre of which remained pink. Hallelujah . . . a restaurant here that cooks pork properly. The morcilla was nicely spicey and satisfying, the only let down were the apple batons which were a bit weak. Dessert was a treat, as it should be. I had Fotzelschnitte (which is pretty much designed to sound very rude in Swiss German) but was actually just brioche french toast. This came with an almond panna cotta and a mandarin sorbet, both of these were lovely. The panna cotta was smooth and flavourful, the sorbet just shouted mandarin at you more than a Maoist commissar, sweet, pithy and bitter.

The wine list is really good for mid-range wines . . . many many bottles hovering around the CHF60 mark. My companions were drinking beer, so I settled for wines by the glass: A Lustau fino, a Gruner Veltliner, an Alto Adige and lastly a sweet Jurancon. By the way, their online list is not up to date.

Service was very good, attentive and charming enough. My bill for the evening, around CHF100. It's a good neighbourhood restaurant and hey, this town's small enough that everyone's your neighbour. I shall definitely be back.

• Like 2

Herzlich Wilkommen, Howard der Fuenfte! ;)

Good to have more people in the central euro neighborhood.

Herzlich Wilkommen, Howard der Fuenfte! ;)

Good to have more people in the central euro neighborhood.

It's a vee not a foif.

Thanks!

Cheers! We love Zurich. Been there several times though not, alas, since the late 1990s.

Wish I coiuld remember the name of a place that was off the Munstergasse, owned by a restaurateur who seemed fond of self-promotion, had his name & face on the matchbooks & such. We ate there one year & the food was very good, basically French Swiss with a bit of a nouvelle touch. We went back the next trip & the place had gone Caribbean! It was a hoot, with waiters in Hawaiian shirts, palm-tree decor all over the place, margaritas & a lot of hot Latin food. I wonder what it's become now.

Look forward to reading more!

See him

Hear him

Touch him?

I'm truly terrible at pinball and do have reasonable vision, albeit with contacts.

Are you bored yet?

Are you bored yet?

If certain G20 leaders have their way Swiss banking might become way more interesting shortly.

Uh oh. I'd better move my francs to Bermuda.

Are you bored yet?

Zürich's holding its interest . . . seek and ye shall find. You do have to seek though.

Must get back to Austin some time, I've had much fun there in the past.