any recent recommendations? looks like i'll be celebrating a b-day in Zurich...

I ate at Caduff's wine loft twice last fall. It was so good, I went back a second time:

http://www.wineloft.ch/en_home.html

If it's a birthday treat, see if they still have more of the 88 Rousseau Clos St. Jacques in the cellar (about 180 euros). An epiphany wine.

• Like 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone, I recently moved to Zürich, so I'll be posting occasionally on restaurants here.   Here's my first go:   This Saturday though, I had a really nice meal at Divine Bar. It's an unpre

I ate at Caduff's wine loft twice last fall. It was so good, I went back a second time:   http://www.wineloft.ch/en_home.html   If it's a birthday treat, see if they still have more of the 88 R

Which cocktails did you imbibe?  When I'm living vicariously, I need details.

any recent recommendations? looks like i'll be celebrating a b-day in Zurich...

I ate at Caduff's wine loft twice last fall. It was so good, I went back a second time:

http://www.wineloft.ch/en_home.html

If it's a birthday treat, see if they still have more of the 88 Rousseau Clos St. Jacques in the cellar (about 180 euros). An epiphany wine.

thank you, this sounds up my alley. was the second time as good as the first?

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

A city where the basic cooking idiom is gemütlich German -- but done with incredible precision.  I was in hog heaven.  Literally.

First stop was lunch at the more casual of the restaurants in my hotel.  The story is that one of the gaggle of medieval buildings that were stitched together to form the hotel was the butchers' guildhouse.  Restaurant AuGust is supposed to be a tribute to that guild.  Indeed, they serve a leberkäse that they claim is made from the guild's ancient recipe.  Whatever, that leberkäse was one of the best things I've ever had anywhere.  There was also a venison sausage that gave me great pleasure, and some note-perfect German-style potato salad.

I'm almost unhappy that breakfast here was included in my hotel rate.  Because the huge hearty breakfasts obviated lunch for the rest of my stay here (which I'd have had to pay for separately) -- and good as breakfast was, I wanted more of that leberkäse (not offered at breakfast), and a chance to try more of those other meats.  (It was heartening, though, to see the breakfast I got free listed on the menu for something like $45 -- not that I believe anyone who doesn't get that full breakfast free from the hotel ever orders it.)

This isn't my absolute fave restaurant:  I prefer some Joe Beef-style gonzo inventiveness with my animal fat.  But I'd be lying if I didn't say I absolutely loved it.