Places we're curious about

Guest Aaron T

This review of Rivera makes me curious. I haven't seen such a rave from Sherry in a while if ever, even for her 4 star reviews.

At the new Rivera within shouting distance of L.A. Live, the 54-year-old chef is firing on all cylinders. Rivera is terrific, one of the most exciting restaurants to debut in L.A. in the last few years.

Go.

I'd also like to try Church & State.

And the Grill on the Alley, as I have never been.

Palate. Mostly because I'm hearing mixed reviews from so many unreliable or inconsistent sources, from raves to so so. So so reviews seem to come from folks who want to deflate the hype, as in, "it's OK, but not worth the hype".

I'm going there in a couple of week with a group of friends.

Guest Aaron T
Palate. Mostly because I'm hearing mixed reviews from so many unreliable or inconsistent sources, from raves to so so. So so reviews seem to come from folks who want to deflate the hype, as in, "it's OK, but not worth the hype".

I'm going there in a couple of week with a group of friends.

Please report back. Am very curious to hear your take.

I have to say, I was very underwhelmed with Palate. Some things, the potted meats etc were not bad but no better than an average London gastropub and their much vaunted piggy plate was fridge fresh and very uninspiring. Hardly worth the the drive out to Glendale ( is that right?)

Keen to try these new two mentioned above. The rest of the places around LA live seemed like the standard beer/ribs/shit joints

Slapsie

I have to say, I was very underwhelmed with Palate. Some things, the potted meats etc were not bad but no better than an average London gastropub and their much vaunted piggy plate was fridge fresh and very uninspiring. Hardly worth the the drive out to Glendale ( is that right?)

Keen to try these new two mentioned above. The rest of the places around LA live seemed like the standard beer/ribs/shit joints

Slapsie

The Fleming's steakhouse at LA Live is pretty good for what it is. If you go just a few blocks away, you can go to Rivera (decidedly mixed reviews on CH) or Splichal's Zucca (pretty good upscale Italian), and a little further away, Drago Centro, discussed earlier by Aaron.

• 2 months later...
Guest Aaron T

Made it for a quick bite at Church & State last weekend. It is located at the corner of Industrial Street and Mateo St, NE of Alameda and 7th Sts. It is in a forlorn industrial neighborhood that feels creepy driving in after dark. I got there at 10 pm on Friday night and the place was packed. A half hour wait for a table or the bar, which is unheard of at a restaurant in LA at that hour - Angelenos just don't eat at 10:30. The establishment really felt like a bit of New York transplanted to LA - perhaps from before SoHo or Tribeca was chic.

Church & State serves a French bistro menu - steak frites, escargot, steak tartare etc. I finally snagged a bar seat and began my second meal of the night with the steak tartare. It was good but not special. It came with toast to put it on. I think it could have used a yolk and some more spices. It was accompanied by some greens.

Next I had the Terrine of Foie Gras with port wine gelee, toasted broiche. It was served in a small jar and was quite delicious. The port wine gelee made for a nice accompaniment to the richness of the foie. Brioche good quality. (this wasn't TFL but I wasn't complaining!). They were out of the dish I most wanted, bone marrow. So I settled for asparagus with a poached egg. The egg ran all over the veggies when it was pierced - a good thing. There were also morels on the plate. The tops of the asparagus and the morels both had a similar raisin look and I wasn't sure if they were plated together for the visual effect, but it worked. Quality ingredients and the egg was cooked just long enough.

Also for you LA cocktail folks, note that Michel Dozois tends bar there on Fridays and Saturdays. Interview with him here. he is the founder of an ice company in addition to being a mixologist. I had a great Old Fashioned.

I will return to try the bone marrow and have more drinks. The prices were also reasonable and it was a fun vibe. Loud but not unbearable like Comme Ca. Reservations essential.

i'll bite on rivera: i've been there probably a half-dozen times (a friend who has Laker season tickets loves the restaurant ... get my drift?). required disclaimer #1: I am not the times restaurant critic and my opinion in no way should be interpreted as hers; #2 John Sedlar is an old friend, practically from New Mexico days.

That out of the way: i love Rivera as much or more than any other restaurant in Los Angeles. I have heard the naysayers, but they tend to be chowhound types who automatically assume that anything "mexican" has to be cheap. Rivera's not expensive by fine-dining standards, but it's certainly not cheap. And it's small servings, not big plates. But there is an incredibly high level of finish on these dishes, the flavors are really pure and intense (in a fine dining context). the duck confit with enfrijoladas is amazing. the fish with salsa verde is amazing. i love the little green olives with 6 stuffings. most of all, probably, i love the freshly made tortillas (made from nixtamal they grind at the restaurant), with avocado butter. tortillas from heaven.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aaron T
Made it for a quick bite at Church & State last weekend.

snip

I will return to try the bone marrow and have more drinks. The prices were also reasonable and it was a fun vibe. Loud but not unbearable like Comme Ca. Reservations essential.

Had a late lunch at Church and State today. Had the elusive bone marrow and also the mac & cheese. The marrow bones were cut lengthwise, so there were two long troughs, rather than the short cylinders you usually get. Made it easy to get at the marrow. It was served with thin crisps of toast. I thought this dish good but I was not wowed by this iteration. Perhaps my recent visit to St. John was in the back of my mind, but that is not a fair comparison.

The mac and cheese is portioned for sharing. The cheese forms a crispy crust with the macaroni and runny cheese beneath.

The chef was there and several cooks left their resumes with the GM while I was there.

• 3 months later...
Guest Aaron T

Still on my list:

Palate

Grill on the Alley - at lunch for the corn beef hash

Comme Ca - for the burger (already been for dinner)

Rivera

The Bazaar

Animal

Gjelina

RH

Langham

• 2 weeks later...
Made it for a quick bite at Church & State last weekend.

snip

Had a late lunch at Church and State today. Had the elusive bone marrow and also the mac & cheese. The marrow bones were cut lengthwise, so there were two long troughs, rather than the short cylinders you usually get. Made it easy to get at the marrow. It was served with thin crisps of toast. I thought this dish good but I was not wowed by this iteration. Perhaps my recent visit to St. John was in the back of my mind, but that is not a fair comparison.

The mac and cheese is portioned for sharing. The cheese forms a crispy crust with the macaroni and runny cheese beneath.

The chef was there and several cooks left their resumes with the GM while I was there.

We've been meaning to go. At this point, I think about 4 former students of the mister's work there.

I thought Palate was interesting and well-priced when it first opened, but I think the bloom is off the rose.

Animal looks interesting, haven't been yet. Ditto for Rivera.

I'm sorry, Animal isn't the one I was thinking of, The Bazaar was the one I wanted to try and haven't yet. I'm so out of it these days.