Dell Computers have gone to Hell!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re-seat the cable to the Floppy drive from the Power supply. Re-seat - or at least inspect - the large, multi-pin ribbon cable that goes from the floppy to the motherboard.

BE CAREFUL: before putting your fingers inside, touch the UNPLUGGED power supply to ground yourself. Please refrain from dragging your feet across carpeting before you open the case as this will build up static electricity.

Once you've inspected the cabling, re-boot and check BIOS area that lists devices, or device manager in windows. If DManager "sees" the floppy, and it has an "X", it might need a driver installed - you have the option of having windows find the driver update for you.

Most annoying affair - but after suffering similar snafus while building my system I now know it's relatively easy to solve this. You guys can do this!

My SO is getting screwed by her employer in so many ways these days - their refusal to give anyone on the business side a PC that will burn even a CD is just one facet of things there

Eight gigabyte flash drives are dirt cheap - $20 at J&R. That would solve the data migration issue more conveniently than floppies. One of those drives holds the equivalent of 12 CDs.

I just wanted to add my disdain for Dell. I've been building my own systems from scratch for years, but if I were to patronize a brand name manufacturer, Dell would be my last choice. One of the family's first "good" computers back in the day (Pentium 133, baby!) was a Dell, and it gave us more problems than a case of Herpes. Following that, my parents bought a Dell (against my advice) and experienced the same pain.

Building your own system is the way to go (the learning curve is not that steep if you've never done it - plus, it's a fun project!). If that isn't a viable option, I suggest buying from a small local vendor that builds systems custom or, using high quality components from various manufacturers (and not just the ones that have some sort of business deal with the brand).

I feel your pain.

Eight gigabyte flash drives are dirt cheap

Lex, I've seen numerous advisories that flash drives are not recommended as backup media.

I don't think Ghostrider is looking to use it as a backup media. His SO is using it as a way to temporarily transfer data from her work computer to her home computer. Rather than fumble around with multiple floppies it would be lots easier to migtate the data on a single device.

FWIW I've had floppies become corrupt from time to time, especially older ones. The other issue is that they're the computer equivalent to 8 track music tapes. They're going away. If I had a bunch of floppy disks containing data I cared about I would move them over to CDs or better still, DVDs. I'd make a second copy too after confirming the integrity of the first one.

Eight gigabyte flash drives are dirt cheap

Lex, I've seen numerous advisories that flash drives are not recommended as backup media.

Lex suggested using them as transfer media rather than backup media. I've found them great for transfers, as well

BE CAREFUL: before putting your fingers inside, touch the UNPLUGGED power supply to ground yourself. Please refrain from dragging your feet across carpeting before you open the case as this will build up static electricity.

Since we have cats, carpeting, at least, is not an issue in this house. :lol:

I see I haven't been entirely clear about the real source of the floppy issue. S's department has built & maintained a huge amount of data on floppies - presentation scripts, various documents - because that is her management's directive. Yes, it's 2009, this is a major insurance company & they still insist that the marketing department do much of its work on floppies. So this is solely a work-from-home issue.

You know the old adage about insurance companies being conservative & resistant to change. I worked for the same company for 20 years, none of this surprises me.

I see I haven't been entirely clear about the real source of the floppy issue. S's department has built & maintained a huge amount of data on floppies - presentation scripts, various documents - because that is her management's directive.

I think we're agreed that the management of her company are idiots. It can't be fun working for them.

Having said that, if I were her I'd copy the floppies to a flash drive, move the data to the home computer, do whatever work I needed to do, and then reverse the process. The floppies would never leave the office.

Insurance companies being conservative and resistant to change? They lost interest in insurance and ran off to play in hedge funds. And most of the attorneys I know are still using WordPerfect. Now whyse that? If it ain't broke?

I see I haven't been entirely clear about the real source of the floppy issue. S's department has built & maintained a huge amount of data on floppies - presentation scripts, various documents - because that is her management's directive.

I think we're agreed that the management of her company are idiots. It can't be fun working for them.

Having said that, if I were her I'd copy the floppies to a flash drive, move the data to the home computer, do whatever work I needed to do, and then reverse the process. The floppies would never leave the office.

the problem i thought was that she needs information/data that is already on floppies. to access that she needs a floppy drive. otherwise there's no way to get them onto flash drives or what have you.

the problem i thought was that she needs information/data that is already on floppies. to access that she needs a floppy drive. otherwise there's no way to get them onto flash drives or what have you.

I'm pretty sure she's got a floppy drive at work otherwise there would be no way for people in the office to work on this stuff. She could just plug the flash drive into the USB and just copy them over.