JomtienCafe

New York Pizza

Nor is it bereft of weed.

I like to walk by; if by chance there is no one waiting, and if by chance there is pizza available, I'll grab a slice or two.  Otherwise, I just keep walking.

That’s funny. I was going to post, in response to your earlier post, that Scarr’s is very much not bereft of stress.

My best advice for Scarr's is if the floor in front of the oven is already well pepperoni-strewn, come another time.

• Like 1

We had two pies delivered from them on Wednesday night within 45 mins, no fuss no bother. And wine on a rooftop. Why are you all stressing? 😂

Reading 30 slices in two weeks has given me heartburn.

Friend was in town. Went to about 130 spots, so another 100 spots on top of those slices in those 2 weeks to have the most popular/famous dishes in the city. Does that kill you?

We had two pies delivered from them on Wednesday night within 45 mins, no fuss no bother. And wine on a rooftop. Why are you all stressing?

RE: Delivery.  I've ordered delivery from Scarr's a few times.  They have yet to get the order right, either putting pepperoni or sausage on a whole pie when I've asked for it on half, or some other fuck up.

I also find pizza benefits from reheating when delivered. Not necessarily a problem...except in summer.

@villagerOFtheEast - was Patsy's (the original) one of the 30 places you visited? Louie & Ernie's? Both seem to not be mentioned much here any more, and both are very good slices. I understand if you were only dealing with Manhattan places.

Yep, Patsys in Harlem was on the list.  I did the slice, not whole pizza. Was just above average for me, obviously you can get just slices at Patsys, but I'm guessing most get the whole pizza if they go, given the location that really has nothing else by it and maybe I would think higher of it if I got a "fresher" take.  Didn't make it to Louie & Ernie's, which along with New Park, are probably the two best slice shops I didn't hit.  But I've had New Park before and loved it, top 3 NY-style available by the slice if you get it well done along with L'Industrie and Scarrs.  Have never had Louie & Ernie's, maybe one day I'll have an excuse to be in that area.

Reading 30 slices in two weeks has given me heartburn.

Friend was in town. Went to about 130 spots, so another 100 spots on top of those slices in those 2 weeks to have the most popular/famous dishes in the city. Does that kill you?

Yes. But good work man.

I finally tried Prince Street pizza this weekend because I was in the neighborhood and the line was short.

Holy crap it was bad.  The signature pepperoni slice is a square Sicilian-style pie with two different kinds of pepperoni -- the little cups and larger, standard (?) slices -- and some kind of spicy/garlicky powder on top.  That sounds like an enticing proposition, right?  Well, it has so much pepperoni that there ends up being a half a cup of grease on the slice / plate / your hands and shirt.  And even though they crank out probably hundreds of these pies per day, they don't know how to cook them -- they crust wasn't fully cooked through.  And it's not undercooked because they're getting people through the line so fast.  They're in no rush -- it takes 1-2 minutes to serve a single patron.

Did I like the way it tasted?  Sure, I'm a heathen who prefers cookie dough to baked cookies, so I like undercooked dough and grease.  Would it be better if they fully cooked the dough and maybe pre-cooked the pepperoni then put it on the pie so there was less grease? Absolutely.  It blows my mind that people wait 30+ minutes in line for this stuff.  When I left there were at least 30 people in line.

I also had a standard margherita slice and the sauce/cheese was good, but the crust was also undercooked. When I picked it up the entire thing flopped down.  Impossible to eat one-handed while walking.

One pro -- I ate it at 6PM, and those two slices for under $10 kept me full for a night of drinking that ended after midnight.

• Like 1

I approve of this post! While I didn’t experience any of the undercooked dough you experienced, the pepperoni was way too plentiful and greasy. It’s too much. Who needs all that. Though, I would like to see that pepperoni in a breakfast calzone with egg and cheese or in an omelette

Or egg sandwich type capacity for shits and giggles. Maybe I would like it like that. But cheese pizza should not be actively looking for more grease

I don't think there are any difference in the pepp, just some slightly bigger.  The spiciness is in the sauce, not on top, unless there is now something else?  I have had average slices from there a couple times, but most of the time its fantastic.  Probably had 20 slices from there, though majority was before they became super popular 3-6 years ago, also my slice last week right as they opened, so it wasn't as busy. And that was the first slice I've had from them since they had somewhat of a breakup (Made in New York and Village Square spawns). I wonder if the pressure to crank out during busy times means dough isn't cooked properly.  Also, the Mamas Too pepp slice is definitely more oily/greasy of the two despite having less pepp, luckily Mamas offers quite a few other options unlike Prince.

• Like 1

I didn't take any pictures, fortunately everyone else who goes there does.  The brown stuff on the pepperoni in the first picture here is what seemed to me like a spicy powder.  It was on the sauce as well but harder to see https://www.instagram.com/p/B15POXxFUJq/?igshid=4kdkpyhqet49

In this one you can see the smaller and larger pieces of pepperoni.  The smaller ones are the cups, and the larger ones (like the quartered one on the bottom right of the closest slice) don't cup: https://www.instagram.com/p/B16uaMFFb59/

Might be the same kind of pepperoni, but definitely different sizes.

I didn't want to weigh in, since I was trying to remember my facts. And find some pictures.

Here is a Prince St. pepperoni square slice from April, 2015:

6iTLmdY.jpg?1

It was fantastic, and I don't note any of the aforementioned issues. Here is one from what was my last visit in July, 2018:

56RROX2.jpg?1

Looks a heck of a lot greasier, and perhaps even a little burnt.  I'd never noticed any undercooked dough in my visits. 

Just for the hell of it, a classic Louie & Ernie's:

88JPJ9L.jpg?1

Every sausage pie should be this great.

Went to Secret Pizza last night.. it's on 5th avenue a couple blocks off of flatbush.  It's pretty damn good actually.. It's very Italian, in the staffing, attitude and presentation.. they have a few homemade pastas and some interesting pizza.. The wines were mainly italian, i had one from Naples I hadnt heard of.. Most bottles are 45.   If you are in to pizza from Naples, this is one of the better ones.