JomtienCafe

New York Pizza

the slices I had at the newish F&F pizza from the franks and some other famous pizza makers were as good as any on the relatively recent serious eats slice list and better than what you get at paulie gee’s etc. the siciian is only served at opening and again sometime in the afternoon, so I didn’t try it, but the other two slices they had on offer were terrific and worlds better than anything I’ve had from the franks before. limited seating, no booze, prolly a hassle on the weekend, scarcity marketing works (on me), etc etc.

Went to Leo’s Sour Dough last night. From the people that brought you ops. It was my pre dinner slice or two. They only have a small section of the place opened and are expanding the menu to pasta and pizza and small plates. They had only square slices. We ordered two without tomato sauce. Thin, a little greasy, and like 5 bucks a slice. Maybe 4 inches across perhaps closer to three. Kind of steep on the pricing, considering it was semi heated and not too exiting. Just saying I don’t see a rush to go there while they are operating like This

mushroom:

49024091397_ef954642dc_z.jpg

Caveat that I was pretty drunk and hadn't eaten in 10 hours, but the two slices I had at Paulie Gee's Slice Shop last night was the best slice pizza I've had in a long time.  I ask the woman taking orders what their two best slices were and she suggested the Freddy Prince (square) and Hellboy (pepperoni and hot honey).  The Freddy Prince was great -- nice crispy bottom, fluffy and well cooked middle, and a restrained layer of really good sauce and cheese.  The sesame seeds on the bottom were a little different, and I might have suggested a 25% in reduction in them, but an excellent slice all around.  My favorite individual slice I've had in a while.  The Hellboy was a little sloppier but still pretty well balance, great crust.  Place was very busy around 11/12 last night -- no line but full house when I got there and when I left there were probably 10 people in line.  Waited around 5-10 minutes for my slices, seems like they actually care about properly reheating them instead of just churning them out. 

m71TH8z.jpg

• Like 1

Sometimes, like after a little party at Existing Conditions, these rank right up there with some of the best slices available...

tu9aXP4.jpg?1

Joe's.

Did you break into my apartment? Exact color of our kitchen counters.

• Like 1

I had a really good slice at Champion's Pizza Friday night. Much better than expected. And just to make sure we weren't overrating it, we walked down the block and had a couple of slices at Vinnie's Pizza. The Champion's slices were better  and the voting was unanimous.

This weekend I found myself in Bay ridge on Saturday and Sunday...So, my weekend was, Friday Night Patsy's Pizza, Saturday Lombardo's Pizza and Sunday we were at Campagna Coal Fire Pizza. 

Patsy's right on Flatbush Ave, or Dean off of Flatbush, or something like that... We ordered a vodka pie with onions and meatballs.. I don't think I have had meatballs on my pizza in years.. And for this reason, it's just how I remembered it, thin, grey, dry, not very exciting.. The onions were exciting, the pizza was good over all.. A nice break from Chinese Food as I had been away for a bit.. 

Crust thin, it was hot, the sauce was good..   

49253319113_c822edf7f4_z.jpg

The next day, Saturday, we went to Chinatown for breakfast.. We were pretty full and we walked around and relaxed.. Around 4 oclock, we headed to Dyker Heights to see the "lights" Each year we  go, we say, why the hell are we here.. Jax doesn't care, it's you know, a tradition, going, complaining, eating somewhere Italian and average, wishing we ate chinese food, then getting pastry at Villa Bate De Alba and heading home.. 

This time we stop at Lombardo... The owner is there making pizzas.. It's a tiny, tiny little work spot.. One man making pizzas two at a time.. The room has maybe 8 tables, one like 8 top and the rest 4's.. We arrived early and we were the last of the walkins for the night... 21 dollar bottle of red wine.  The pizzas are in the 30's.. but they are 16 inches.. We ordered half margherita, half with pepperoni and honey.. not hot honey, but, honey.. They say the cheese if flor de latte. Maybe it is, but, it's not the best quality.. The sauce, is a raw sauce.. it's pretty good.. 

The crust is the best part of the pizza, almost bagel like.. The salads are strange.. in fact, both salads were strange in Bay Ridge.. Like dried cranberry, or balsamic, one had feta?  BUt yeh, first time I had tomatoes or onions in a caesar salad.. 

The pizza was good. 

Crispy, no big flop.. BUt yeh, the cheese was not exciting and the sauce was just ok.. The crust was the star of the show and if you closed your eyes it would taste like a really really good bagel... This man is connected with lots of places, i think his family own Elegante Bakery.. He knew people at restaurants all around brooklyn.   Is it worth the drive, I am perhaps not the authority to say so.. Plus, the guy is pretty tough looking..  :P

49264684621_5a37c0f554_z.jpg

The next place, has like 5 stars and like hundreds of reviews on yelp.. I am the driver and when we call audibles, often time my wife makes the call.. Here we had just gone ice skating the park and we had a car and a bunch of kids and well, that would put us close to another pastry shop so, whatever, we were 20 minutes away... Campania coal oven pizza.. Let me tell you, i didn't see any coal, didn't taste any coal.. It has a patrizia's vibe.. Smaller and cozy but, you know, huge portions and well, ,much more than pizza.. We had Miss K and her friend and Jax.. We ordered clams and shimp oreganata and her friend ordered truffle mac and cheese.. The shrimp oreganata was acceptable, the clams sucked and the truffle mac and cheese, well, it was disappointing for a shit dish anyway.. very little cheese and it needed salt.. 

The pizza arrived, the red sauce tasted like a tin can, the pizza was crisp and had little flop but, overall, it was forgettable... Trying to see what brought on the 5 star reviews outside of Russian Bots and I determined, its for the pasta.. You get a pound of pasta per serving.. The seafood fra diavola was the hit.. for like 56 bucks, it can easily feed 3 with more to take home.. They had a sunday pasta with skin,  and shin and braciole and well, it looked like a bucket of pasta.. Service was friendly, young cute girls from the neighborhood.. they also have chicken rolls and things that I think would be better than the pizza.. But yeh, priced well, not terrible, certainly not great.. Our waitress told me her favorite thing was the buffalo chicken roll..  You can get out of a nice looking place with a bunch of seafood and pasta and a glass of wine for under 34 bucks a head.. That's why people love it. 

Crust tasteless, crunchy, the sausage dry AF.. the vodka sauce tasted of cream, the tomato sauce tasted of metal.. 

49264219138_b74ddd8113_z.jpg

As Alicia was apologizing, I reminded her at some point, we are going to be at every restaurant in Brooklyn.. If not then, some other time.. It's fine, we have leftovers, maybe it will be better then.. maybe not.. 

Am I deluded in remembering the chocolate cake at Pizza Express being rather tasty?