double yolk eggs and baking

i am prepared to admit that it may all be my fault, though, as far as i can tell, i did not do anything differently, and baked within the recipe's time range. i do find it strange that having twice the amount of expected yolks, and half as much of the expected whites, should make so little difference. but what do i know?

Still at Piaget's preoperational stage of development, I see. Twice as many yolks does not necessarily mean twice the quantity of yolk.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am prepared to admit that it may all be my fault, though, as far as i can tell, i did not do anything differently, and baked within the recipe's time range. i do find it strange that having twice the amount of expected yolks, and half as much of the expected whites, should make so little difference. but what do i know?

Still at Piaget's preoperational stage of development, I see. Twice as many yolks does not necessarily mean twice the quantity of yolk.

these are some gigantic double yolks. each one is as large as a regular yolk. let's face it, science is more or less bunk.

these are some gigantic double yolks. each one is as large as a regular yolk. let's face it, science is more or less bunk.

The yolks would only have to be 20% less in diameter to halve their volume. Geometry, innit.

You didn't add enough mayonaise or oil and overbaked without using a toothpick or cake tester. I'm a bit jealous. I always buy Jumbo eggs just for the occasional thrill of twins.

i added all the butter the recipe called for. i used a toothpick to test. the recipe called for 45-50 minutes in the oven, i pulled the cake out at 46. it is possible that on the first occasion i opened the oven a couple of times anxiously and caused it to get much colder, and that kept the cake from overbaking then. next time i'll test at 38. it's really too bad it overbaked, because properly done the cake itself has a brownie-like texture.

i added all the butter the recipe called for. i used a toothpick to test. the recipe called for 45-50 minutes in the oven, i pulled the cake out at 46. it is possible that on the first occasion i opened the oven a couple of times anxiously and caused it to get much colder, and that kept the cake from overbaking then. next time i'll test at 38. it's really too bad it overbaked, because properly done the cake itself has a brownie-like texture.

Seriously: cooking is more art than science. Results cannot be replicated exactly every time. When we think we are doing something exactly the same way as before, we're not. And the ingredients are not behaving the same way; they can't, because they are NOT the same ingredients.

Just learn to deal with it. That's part of the fun.

i am merely contesting people's claims about what i must not have done. it is those claims which seem to be based on the idea that if certain things are replicated (or close) you will get predictable results. not so in my case.

but i've always heard that compared with regular cooking, baking is more science than art.

i am merely contesting people's claims about what i must not have done. it is those claims which seem to be based on the idea that if certain things are replicated (or close) you will get predictable results. not so in my case.

but i've always heard that compared with regular cooking, baking is more science than art.

I hope I wasn't guilty of that. :blush: As for the emphasized text, it very well may be, as you would know if you read the damn book. :lol: But in both cooking and baking one is dealing with organic materials (in the chemical sense) that are prone to seasonal variations and variations due to terroir, and with equipment that is most definitely not calibrated to give the same measurement every time. So even if you really did exactly same things and used as close as possible to the same ingredients in the same quantities, and your oven behaved the same as before, AND the weather was the same, you may still have a different result. Such is the magic of cooking and baking. Both will remind you that you're not boss. (Get used to that, now that you have a kid. :lol: :lol: )

no, the first cake was in december.

suzanne, if you want to keep repeating that cooking/baking are not exact sciences/arts, by all means go ahead; this is not news to me, however.

i'm not really very surprised that my cakes haven't all been excellent; i'm not a very experienced or accomplished baker. nor do i expect everything i cook to be perfect. i'm just surprised in this case at the extent of the variation between the first cake and the two subsequent attempts, given that i've used near-identical ingredients, in the same oven, and have not varied baking times. the lesson i'm taking away (made usefully by seth) is to not take baking times too literally, and to check where things are a few minutes before the suggesting baking time. the next time i will also sprinkle the baking powder over the flour prior to mixing it together.