Las Vegas dining updates please!

I went to the Boiling Crab tonight.. it was a quick 2 mile walk from my hotel. I took a taxi to the restaurant and then walked home. The wind was at my back and the way home so, it was bearable. But, one could liken it to having a hot blow dryer being held on my back for say an hour. The shrimp was delicious, the dungeness crab was definitely frozen. The meat was a little water logged and the shell was super soft. It did not require a cracker. If comparing it to Hot N Juicy, I like each place for different reasons.

At Boiling Crab, they provide limes which really compliment the shrimp. At Hot N Juicy they have snow crab which is my favorite offering at either place. I also enjoy the spice more at Hot N Juicy. I ordered the hottest flavor tonight at boiling crab while, at H N J I feel like the medium is plenty hot for me.

All in all, I don't think you can go wrong at either place. They are both worth trying.

Passed a place called Dong Ting tonight. it looks like a really nice Hunan Restaurant. Might have to hit it up tomorrow night.

• Like 1
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My girlfriends and I are getting ready for our annual trip to Vegas! They've picked the new Wynn Encore to stay at this year and I'm in charge of restos. I'm thinking about maybe doing a chef's table

I talked to DB today and they offer the 'Taste of Wynn" early bird menu at 5:30, 6, 6:30. We are going at 6 on Monday. As much as I truly value Evelyn's advice, the DB menu worked best for us given h

The 'cue place I was remembering at the Rio is the Vegas branch of RUB, which I thought was pretty good. I still haven't been to their NYC branch.

I went to the Boiling Crab tonight.. it was a quick 2 mile walk from my hotel. I took a taxi to the restaurant and then walked home. I was at my back so it was bearable. But, one could liken it to having a hot blow dryer being held on my back for say an hour. The shrimp was delicious, the dungeness crab was definitely frozen. The meat was a little water logged and the shell was super soft. It did not require a cracker. If comparing it to Hot N Juicy, I like each place for different reasons.

At Boiling Crab, they provide limes which really compliment the shrimp. At Hot N Juicy they have snow crab which is my favorite offering at either place. I also enjoy the spice more at Hot N Juicy. I ordered the hottest flavor tonight at boiling crab while, at H N J I feel like the medium is plenty hot for me. Boiling Crab is a larger more open space and definitely more comfortable to hang out in. However, there was no bar to sit at but, I happily sat at a 4 top and ate with recklessness.

All in all, I don't think you can go wrong at either place. They are both worth trying.

Passed a place called Dong Ting tonight. it looks like a really nice Hunan Restaurant. Might have to hit it up tomorrow night.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Eater has a list of rumored, and probably desired, openings that MIGHT happen in 2013. Whether some of these are good things is another story altogether...

Will Guy Fieri open a restaurant in Las Vegas in 2013? ----

(snip) Robin Leach says Gordon Ramsay Steak at Paris Las Vegas will expand due to the three-month demand for reservations.

Is Iron Chef Masahara Morimoto really coming to the Mirage? (snip)

Is the Aviary, that Chicago cocktail lounge, coming to Vegas? (rumors abound)

Heston Blumenthal is apparently interested in a version of Fat Duck in an upscale property according to this report. Mario Batali may be looking at space inside the Venetian for a version of Eataly. (FWIW, I don't know how that would play out, unless it's more restaurant / beer garden and less grocery, pasta, verdure, etc. )

Michael White may be looking at opportunities, as well. He previously told the NY Times he's interested in a Las Vegas property.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Where should I eat dinner with myself and 5 colleagues tonight?

Under discussion: Raku, Lotus of Siam, Sage, Bouchon, Hakkasan, Cut. Maybe a Mario Batali type joint?

Your thoughts are welcome in the next 3 hours :)

I've had dry aged steaks before but never one as old as I had tonight. A 4 month old Rib Steak at Carnevino in Las Vegas which was just named Best Steakhouse in America by Travel and Leisure Magazine. 3 months older than the typical dry aged steak. Very beefy though not as funky as I thought it would be. Perfectly cooked and really delicious. Something to try but I don't think it is worth the price jump. It cost $72 per person.

• 4 months later...

Kabuto just keeps getting better for those who are looking for the best sushi in Las Vegas. And, beginning next week-Sweets Raku will be opening next door. When I went for dinner at Kabuto last night, Sweets Raku was having a Family and Friends night. I've heard from friends the pastry chef is very good. The very small space will also operate a retail bakery--opening at 3 pm and closing (I think) at 11. The only downside is the parking lot which currently services Raku, Kabuto, Monta, and 3 other restaurants is already overflowing. The addition of Raku Sweets will make the parking situation a complete nightmare.

• 1 month later...

Guy Fieri is opening Guy's Old American Kitchen & Bar at Caesar's Palace.

The menu has been described by the Food Network star as "an eclectic mix of food in a real fun environment," with the bonus of a late-night menu and a non-negotiable Bloody Mary program for brunch.

The NY branch of the chain has been described by Pete Wells in somewhat less flattering terms. But this one will probably be just as busy.

http://vegas.eater.com/archives/2013/09/20/your-vital-updates-on-guy-fieris-kitchen-bar.php

• 4 weeks later...

The Wall Street Journal has several suggestions from various locals about things to see and places to eat.

One is the sky high bar at the Mandarin Oriental for a drop dead view of the city at night. Another suggestion from gallery curator Danielle Kelly of the Neon Museum is the Broadacres Market (2930 North Las Vegas Boulevard in North Las Vegas). Leather goods, live birds, kitsch, pretty much everything. And, Komol restaurant, Thai in the shadow of Lotus of Siam, almost adjacent. Come for the yummy panang curry, stay for the plastic flowers with fake ladybugs. 953 E. Sahara Ave., E10 and E12

Restaurant owner Elizabeth Blau suggests Spago (food and people watching) from Eric Klein, and Jose Andres' China Poblano and Jaleo. The comedian Teller offers Dig This. The site offers adults the opportunity to play with their own earth moving equipment, bulldozers, etc. When they've worked up an appetite, head over to TC's Rib Crib (3655 S. Durango Dr., Suite 18), or Raku

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304066404579127541755775378?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5

• 3 months later...