I'd start by checking out the Korean restaurants in Killeen. Korean Kitchen is probably my favorite... it's been around for ages, run by a Korean couple who put their kids through college slinging Korean classics. Very home-style... pile of rice, bulgogi or a spicy stir fry, banchan, roasted barley iced tea. But there are three or four others worth checking out as well.

Right. Remember that a great many army guys are married to Asian women that they met while on tours of duty. You will always find good Asian markets and hole-in-the-wall type Asian restaurants around large military establishments.

And another advantage of living close to the post is that you can go home for lunch.

Thereby saving even more money for splurging on the weekends.

How long are you probably going to be there? Is it just a TDY or school or something, or are you going to be stationed there?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salado was first on my list until I discovered that they don't have any one bedroom apartments.

Nathan, If you're interested in Salado, perhaps before you accept this conclusion about no one bedroom apartments, I suggest you call Melanie at 254-760-5855 and see what she says about available apartments, etc.

thanks for all the tips and advice!

I'm PCSing to Hood but the reality is that as with any Forscom post the deployments come fast and often. so my explorations are going to be a little abbreviated and I'll be chowing down on plenty of goat soon enough. I get as much outdoors stuff as I can handle with the Army so I think my free time will be a little more citified. I've been exploring Dallas some the last couple months on the weekends (recommend Tei An by the way...the menu is quite similar to Matsugen) but Austin, Houston and SA are entirely new to me.

Asia House's menu is the real deal so I'm going to check that out ASAP. I've been craving some Sichuan. will also look into the bar at Lambert's.

Living in Killeen is no savings (except for gas) as apparently the only safe and recommended apartment community (Stone Creek) is intimately familiar with officer's BAH and charges accordingly.

it's actually much cheaper to live in Belton apparently.

thanks again!

Nathan

My favorite Chinese at the moment is a predominately Sichuan spot called Asia Cafe, located in the back of an Asian grocery store in N Austin. Menu, location, etc. here.

Hey, we like this place, too! They even have eel. Have you also tried the noodle joint in the same complex? The guy shaves off thick noodles into broth right after you order.

There's also an Indian grocery store in the same complex. I've bought curry leaves and spices there.

My favorite Chinese at the moment is a predominately Sichuan spot called Asia Cafe, located in the back of an Asian grocery store in N Austin. Menu, location, etc. here.

Hey, we like this place, too! They even have eel. Have you also tried the noodle joint in the same complex? The guy shaves off thick noodles into broth right after you order.

There's also an Indian grocery store in the same complex. I've bought curry leaves and spices there.

I didn't know about the noodle joint. Thanks for that. Do you recall the name, or is the spot itself pretty obvious? I should be in the area next week, so I'll check it out if it's not too hot.

Pao's Mandarin House is pretty good for weekend dim sum, but it's a hike and you need to ask for the Chinese menu.

thanks for all the tips and advice!

I'm PCSing to Hood but the reality is that as with any Forscom post the deployments come fast and often. so my explorations are going to be a little abbreviated and I'll be chowing down on plenty of goat soon enough. I get as much outdoors stuff as I can handle with the Army so I think my free time will be a little more citified. I've been exploring Dallas some the last couple months on the weekends (recommend Tei An by the way...the menu is quite similar to Matsugen) but Austin, Houston and SA are entirely new to me.

Asia House's menu is the real deal so I'm going to check that out ASAP. I've been craving some Sichuan. will also look into the bar at Lambert's.

Living in Killeen is no savings (except for gas) as apparently the only safe and recommended apartment community (Stone Creek) is intimately familiar with officer's BAH and charges accordingly.

it's actually much cheaper to live in Belton apparently.

thanks again!

Nathan

Well, I'll be looking forward to meeting you at our next Austin get-together, and welcome to the neighborhood!

One good thing about Belton is that you're on I35, making it easier to scoot north to Dallas, or south to Austin, San Antonio, Houston and the Gulf.

Oh, and before I forget...

Thank you for your service.

I'm flipping through this new book,Texas BBQ, by Wyatt McSpadden--mainly photographs of Texas 'cue joints--and noticed a few photos of Maurice's Real Pit BBQ in Harker Heights. Never heard of the place, but it might be interesting. Certainly close to Ft. Hood. I'll probably be in the area sometime soon and will give it a shot.

The book itself is kind of fun... lots of Lockhart shots.

I'd suggest that for one of your first road trips to Austin, you start off via Taylor early some Saturday morning. It's about an hour's drive south and it's the home of one of the indisputably best BBQ joints in Texas: Louie Mueller's. Like many Texas 'cue joints, it's primarily a meat market, and you don't want to get there much after 1 or 2 in the afternoon, especially on a Saturday, because they might well be out of the best cuts. You'll want to try the fatty brisket, which you order "wet" or "off the high side." I like getting a mix of the wet and lean. You'll also want to try their delicious sausage, which Texans call "hot links."

You can try other stuff, like the ribs and such, but that's not what central Texas is famous for.

I also always get at least a pound of brisket and a few hot links to take home. Tell them not to slice the brisket for the take-home bag because it will dry out. Just get a big chunk.

Also fun and worth a visit is the German restaurant at Walburg. That's a little closer to Belton - about a half-hour drive. I haven't been there in a while so it may have changed hands but, some years back, we hosted a German exchange student. When she got lonesome for German food, that's where we took her. She loved chatting in German with the owner who told her that when he first opened his restaurant, he couldn't get the pork to taste exactly right. He discovered that there was a specific breed of pig in Germany that wasn't available in Central Texas, so he brought some over from Germany and raised them himself. At one point, I remember asking her how her dinner was: "Is this food authentic?" I said. "Is it the same as your mother makes?"; to which she responded, "Well, my mother does make most of these dishes, but hers isn't nearly this good."

Walburg is a German community, and this restaurant often hosts get-togethers for the locals. Out back is a biergarten where elderly couples polka to the oompah sounds of the Walburg Boys, while families sing along. This place would be great for you and a few of your mates to give a try on a Saturday night. Reservations are a good idea because, although in the middle of nowhere, they do get really busy and you don't want to drive all that way and not be able to get in.

Walburg Restaurant

Oh, and before I forget...

Thank you for your service.

As at any restaurant, wait until you see how good the service is before you give your thanks for it.

I seem to recall that the late Temple Fielding got his start writing guidebooks for service personnel. Nathan, do you have some similar plans?

Steve, if you are facing the Asian grocery store, the noodle restaurant is on your left. It only has 4 tables.

edited to add: admins SUCK! Shut down this thread, damn it!

Thanks. I think I came across the name on CH earlier (Chen's? Something like that?) but promptly forgot it. Sounds like some new dishes at Asia Cafe since my last visit, too.

Seriously, does anyone know when Las Manitas is reopening? I mean, they are reopening, right?!

• 2 weeks later...

well, after being here a little over a week a few observations:

1. I rented an apartment in Georgetown. Killeen/Harker Heights is a dark void. Belton isn't any closer to Austin because the correct way to get to Austin from Killeen is 195 to 35. Georgetown is a relatively easy 35 minute commute to work through 195 and an easy commute to Austin in the evenings. And the additional amount I pay in gas is covered by the cheaper rent in Georgetown over Killeen.

2. Lambert's is fun. good food. not a great bar but they're honestly interested and trying. that's a huge start.

3. haven't made it to Asia Cafe yet but Sichuan Garden in Round Rock is the real thing...albeit an abbreviated menu.

4. boy does Mozart's have a great location for a coffee shop.

5. HEB is cheap but pretty sucky selection compared to standard suburban grocery stores (i.e. Wegmans or Publix). guess I'll be making a weekly pilgrimage to Whole Foods. (surprised there isn't one in Round Rock already).

6. Louis Mueller's in Taylor has a fantastic atmosphere and superb sausages...better than the ones from Kreuz Market. their brisket is very good but (blasphemy alert!) not as good as the moist brisket served at Hill Country in NY. just not marbled enough and a little overcooked.

7. non-foodie Austin natives all seem to rave about Salt Lick....need to check that out.

8. Z Tejas (another huge Austin fave) is decent but I don't see a lot of daylight between it and the standard Mex/southwestern fusion places.

9. liquor stores are a HUGE issue. Specs and Grapevine have nice bourbon and tequila selections...and aren't bad in wine....but their other liquor selections suck. in fairness, part (but only part) of the problem after talking to them is that a lot of stuff just isn't distributed in Texas (though I've heard from another source that some of that should be rectified this summer).

10. beer options in general here are great.

11. lots of restaurants on my to-do list!