well, after being here a little over a week a few observations:

6. Louis Mueller's in Taylor has a fantastic atmosphere and superb sausages...better than the ones from Kreuz Market. their brisket is very good but (blasphemy alert!) not as good as the moist brisket served at Hill Country in NY. just not marbled enough and a little overcooked.

One good thing to keep in mind as you sample barbecue around the area: you're dealing with an organic product and a fickle method of cooking. Any one bbq joint can have an off day, or serve up a not-so-great brisket. Conversely, even bad to mediocre places can occasionally get lucky and produce a transcendental bite or two. You shouldn't judge either the 'greatest' or the 'worst' based on one outing.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6. Louis Mueller's in Taylor has a fantastic atmosphere and superb sausages...better than the ones from Kreuz Market. their brisket is very good but (blasphemy alert!) not as good as the moist brisket served at Hill Country in NY. just not marbled enough and a little overcooked.

One good thing to keep in mind as you sample barbecue around the area: you're dealing with an organic product and a fickle method of cooking. Any one bbq joint can have an off day, or serve up a not-so-great brisket. Conversely, even bad to mediocre places can occasionally get lucky and produce a transcendental bite or two. You shouldn't judge either the 'greatest' or the 'worst' based on one outing.

Certainly a good point! I guess I'd say rather that I did learn that Hill Country can play with the big boys.

Those sausages at LM were the best of their kind I've ever had though

Certainly a good point! I guess I'd say rather that I did learn that Hill Country can play with the big boys.

Those sausages at LM were the best of their kind I've ever had though

I've found sausages to be more consistent. Put the little town of Elgin on your list of places to explore. It's famous for sausage. There are two meat markets there that are always arguing over who's best - Southside vs. Meyer's. And although the brisket can be passably good at each, it's sure not the reason to drive over there.

By the way, because you'll soon find yourself on familiar terms with the phrase, "Elgin sausage," best to learn now how to pronounce it. It's Elgin with a hard "g." Years ago, a teetotaler matriarch of the family announced that she did not want that evil devil gin to be a part of her name and banished the soft "g" sound forevermore.

I have to agree with Nathan about the sausages at Meullers, they were terrific. My brisket was also very good, it was an end cut with a nice fatty layer in the middle and great crusty outside, tender and moist. But those sausages, they were something.

• 2 months later...

I have to correct myself on LM...you just have to specifically ask for the brisket to be fatty...then it's as good as anywhere.

Central Market has started bringing in some good charcuterie from NY...you can finally get guanciale here!

the liquor stores are all still lacking...Grapevine is best on gins and ryes....Specs for everything else...apparently they just can't get distributors to bring in some of the retro stuff that's now on the market. but all three, Specs, Twin and Grapevine are fantastic for rum and tequila.

as for the standard Tex-Mex chains...I like Trudy's, don't like Chuys.

Austin really does need more restaurant diversity.

as for Dallas, like Mia's, hated hated hated Fearings. They have no business charging NY prices for mediocre service. the kitchen's competent but the food is very Bobby Flay fifteen years ago. actually had one of the better Nobu meals I've had in a while.

Feast in Houston is just great. really need to check out Reef as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you checked into any of the wineries in Central Texas?

Several of them have B&B's, or small apartments where you can spend an idle weekend.

These people do, and they're terrific folks. Rick and Madelyn. And their wines have won some awards. I think you'd enjoy wiling away a day or two there.

Flat Creek Estate