silicone giving off an odd flavor...?

I have some silicone spatulas, some are Le Crueset, some are cheaper versions. I've noticed recently that a few of them are giving off a soapy plastic smell when I use them. It's fairly strong, and gives off a flavor as well that lasts awhile as I regrettably found out when using one to do a taste test of something I was making.

ok, this has to be bad, doesn't it? I'm on the verge of throwing them away. I initially thought it was just soap residue and that I hadn't washed them thoroughly, but I still get the odor/flavor after a rewash.

I did a search on Google looking for info, but nothing turned up. Has anyone else experienced this? These have worked fabulously for many years, it's only been recently this has started to happen. Does silicone 'break down' after awhile??

• Like 1
I have some silicone spatulas, some are Le Crueset, some are cheaper versions. I've noticed recently that a few of them are giving off a soapy plastic smell when I use them. It's fairly strong, and gives off a flavor as well that lasts awhile as I regrettably found out when using one to do a taste test of something I was making.

ok, this has to be bad, doesn't it? I'm on the verge of throwing them away. I initially thought it was just soap residue and that I hadn't washed them thoroughly, but I still get the odor/flavor after a rewash.

I did a search on Google looking for info, but nothing turned up. Has anyone else experienced this? These have worked fabulously for many years, it's only been recently this has started to happen. Does silicone 'break down' after awhile??

One of my older silicone spatulas started to shred after I used it to stir some items in a pot on the grill. There was an oily smell, and then I tossed it.

I'm guessing that higher heat changes some of the moelcular structures and caused mine to shred

The Silicone Story

In silicone bakeware, the quality of the silicone makes all the difference. Cheaper products made using plastic fillers can impart an odor during baking and generally do not offer the performance of better-quality bakeware. To see if fillers are used, simply twist other brands, if the plastic turns "white-ish", that item has fillers -- avoid it!

I had this happen with a brand-new El Cheapo silicone fish turner when I was sauteeing flounder filets over medium-high heat. It put that plastic smell right into the fish. I threw out the spatula & don't use silicone any more.

The Silicone Story

In silicone bakeware, the quality of the silicone makes all the difference. Cheaper products made using plastic fillers can impart an odor during baking and generally do not offer the performance of better-quality bakeware. To see if fillers are used, simply twist other brands, if the plastic turns "white-ish", that item has fillers -- avoid it!

yes, I found that link as well during my search. But mine don't show 'white-ish' on twisting. I'm thinking they are garbage, though. I can't use them like this.

There are quite a few stories about people using silicone bakewear that gave off a bad smell/flavor, but I've only used the spatulas.

The Silicone Story

yes, I found that link as well during my search. But mine don't show 'white-ish' on twisting. I'm thinking they are garbage, though. I can't use them like this.

There are quite a few stories about people using silicone bakewear that gave off a bad smell/flavor, but I've only used the spatulas.

Ok, now I feel compelled to go sniff my silicone spatulas........

The Silicone Story

i had this problem with a new silicone bathmat. it was very expensive and very stinky and not even boiling water could cut the stench.

The Silicone Story

Ok, now I feel compelled to go sniff my silicone spatulas........

Mine was so obvious it didn't require any up-close sniffing.

The Silicone Story

i had this problem with a new silicone bathmat. it was very expensive and very stinky and not even boiling water could cut the stench.

I personally have stopped bathing in boiling water.

I don't understand this mass exodus from using metal forms for baking. All those bakers who are influenced by the bakeware of the minute will soon be returning to the metal fold.

I don't understand this mass exodus from using metal forms for baking. All those bakers who are influenced by the bakeware of the minute will soon be returning to the metal fold.

I think some of the exodus derives from the use of non-stick pans and pots. I have both silicone and metal spatulas (spatulae?) on my pegboard, depending on which pots I'm using.