Keep On Running

At the magnificent Genoveva Chavez Community Centre in Santa Fe, NM, there's a set of guidelines posted by the 50m pool. I'll transpose my favorite one into "exercise" from the original "swimming":

Do not decide if you want to exercise today. Decide that you want to exercise and take the daily decision out of it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought this may act as a useful diary and motivation for the more slothful of our members   But, today, bugger all. too hungover from Rhodes.   Tomorrow is another day   S

Good session today with my trainer   All lower body, core stability and lower back   Jumps ( involving starting from a seated position on a bench and leaping to a standing position on a raised ste

today, an old boxer's running programme carried out early in the morning when glycogen ( sp?) stores are low and so aids fat burning. It creates a metabolism spike that lasts until about midday   1

That's the biggest mistake people make. You don't need to do specific stuff for the ab's.

they are the core of your body, they function in everything you do, when you run, lift weights, use the stairmaster or work on your balance.

You need to focus on tightening your abs as you do all of the above. so, if you are doing shoulder presses, bring your abs into play. not only will you work them, but you will protect your spine as you lift and improve your technique. if your gym has a swiss ball, use that for flys and shoulder presses and chest presses. by trying to stay balanced, your abs come into play

Then do balance exercises. try standing on one leg, then closing your eyes and holding for 30 secs. You need your abs to remained balanced.

As I said, I can and have done '000's of crunches since I have been working out. About 8 months or so ago at my trainer's rec, I stopped and concentrated as I have above and the results have, with a fat reducing programme to reduce overall body fat, paid dividends. My body fat is down to 10.5% and my abs, which i never thought I would see again, are now a rather splendid 6 pack ( he gloats )

S

I believe him, because I have always avoided ab work like the plague, but I recently noticed that the lifting I have been doing, which was really supposed to help my arms, neck and chest, has had a distinct effect on my "abs".

...and my abs, which i never thought I would see again, are now a rather splendid 6 pack ( he gloats )

Oh good grief. I hope that doesn't presage a display on the 20th :(

I shall be doing my version of the muscle man who won Opportunity Knocks. You know the guy who moved his muscles in time to music

You will be vaguely disgusted and I mean that most sincerley folks

S

a wonderful, wonderful run today

From my place, down Moorgate, along London Wall. Down past the museum of London and St Paul's. Up Fleet St past The Aldwych. Along the strand and up The Mall. Up to Hyde Park Corner. Once around the park. Down to Victoria St. Around Parliament Sq across Westmister Bridge and along the South bank to London Bridge. Up through Bishopsgate and home

All in all, about 12 miles and taking about 65 mins. I guess burning off about 1200 cals

A nice way to begin the day.

S

15 minutes of Rowing

20 minutes of Stair-bitch

20 minutes of bike

various weights and Simon suggested stuff.

Cranked up resistance a notch and burn about 700 kcal, according to the one board computers.

Question: Why is the stair master such a bitch, compared to the other machines? I am at level 8 of 20 on "Fat burner' and this means I drip sweat etc and it is all rather difficult. The bike and the rowing machines actually burn more calories, but are a doddle by comparison. Heart rate on the stair master is about 160, bike about 140.

Is the stair master burning more fat or what?

that's a great w/o Ad'

The stairmaster is working the large muscle groups ( glutes, hams, quads ) so you will

1) Burn more calories

2) Raise your metabolism for the day

Again, technique is vital.

DO NOT lean forward when you us it. This puts pressure on your lower back and stops the glutes working.

Sand upright and do not hold the support tightly. It is better to reduce the speed/resistance and get correct technique and you will work the muscles more efficiently

Also, try it at the beginning of your session. it will make the rest of your workout more effective

S