Keep On Running

Just a thought: I just realised that I feel a lot better and respond well to moderate intensity workouts rather than the whole hellish routine I used to drag myself through in the past. Had I realised this in the past, I might have saved my fragile body from injury..not to mention my severely fragile ego.

Well..shit happens..

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought this may act as a useful diary and motivation for the more slothful of our members   But, today, bugger all. too hungover from Rhodes.   Tomorrow is another day   S

Good session today with my trainer   All lower body, core stability and lower back   Jumps ( involving starting from a seated position on a bench and leaping to a standing position on a raised ste

today, an old boxer's running programme carried out early in the morning when glycogen ( sp?) stores are low and so aids fat burning. It creates a metabolism spike that lasts until about midday   1

My gym has just posted a notice saying they have removed all AB cradles as a result of a new research report which proves that these devices place undue pressure on the neck muscles and upper spine.

I'm amazed it has taken this long. I guess AB cradles were introduced 15 years ago ? After using one for a few weeks, it became absolutely (geddit ? ABSolutely !) obvious to me that it did exactly this, so I have never used one since. But I see a huge proportion of people in the gym using them, especially the older and less fit ones.

My gym is now running retraining sessions for cradle users to teach them new exercises. I suspect they'll be using Swiss balls, but I'm slightly dubious about them too :blush: Seems to me that too many exercisers are obsessed with developing their abdominals, presumably due to the images they see on TV. I have always followed the advice of Simon Majumdar, who explained that free weight and free cardiovascular exercise all exercise the abdominals quite adequately for any purpose other than creating a photographic model's six-pack :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a breakthrough in a yoga class this morning - exciting! I took a class with a great teacher, who did a lot of hands-on adjusting and alignment - and so many things just clicked and made sense - and it was really hard work. I'm really starting to feel the result of these classes. It's extremely challenging, but so worth it. I took the plunge and became a member of the yoga studio near my house, which is smaller than the place I was going to previously - I much prefer it. I hope that having paid for the membership for a year, I will keep up with going 3 times a week. I really love it, and it's phenomally good exercise. I need to add in some more aerobic activity to my week.

Has anybody done 'hot yoga?' It's part of my membership - they have a hot studio a few blocks away - I have no idea what to expect there.

Dial back a few years ago...

I've done Bikram yoga. at first I liked it what a sweatfest. I had to wear long tights because my legs would slip against each other and I couldn't hold certain poses due to slippage.

It can make some people very lightheaded.

Bring water in a frozen block...whatever is left will be warm by the end of class.

I hated bikram yoga. I thought it would be just the thing for me since I am always freezing and adore heat but it made me lightheaded and left me generally feeling awful. I drank so much water that by the end of the class I felt sick, too.

I like ashtanga--it's strenuous and makes you really,really stretch.

I hated bikram yoga. I thought it would be just the thing for me since I am always freezing and adore heat but it made me lightheaded and left me generally feeling awful. I drank so much water that by the end of the class I felt sick, too.

I like ashtanga--it's strenuous and makes you really,really stretch.

Same here - love ashtanga, hate bikram. My sister-in-law used to drag me along with her, but stopped when I almost puked at the stench of a particularly pungent summertime, packed-to-capacity bikram class.