Keep On Running

and that without even encountering bikram himself in his speedo.

yoga_265x174.jpg

For the next 90 minutes, the scattershot, profanity-laced, name-dropping monologue continues, with Bikram rapping in mellifluous, Indian-accented English on a range of topics—the yoga routine, the world's finest automobiles, women he's known. Halfway through class, he abruptly stops and takes a long swig of Coke. He stands up, grabs his trunks, and lets out a loud belch. When he's finished burping, he holds his crotch tighter and thrusts wildly, screaming, "I am a Bengal tiger! I am a Bengal tiger!"
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought this may act as a useful diary and motivation for the more slothful of our members   But, today, bugger all. too hungover from Rhodes.   Tomorrow is another day   S

Good session today with my trainer   All lower body, core stability and lower back   Jumps ( involving starting from a seated position on a bench and leaping to a standing position on a raised ste

today, an old boxer's running programme carried out early in the morning when glycogen ( sp?) stores are low and so aids fat burning. It creates a metabolism spike that lasts until about midday   1

me three - i tried bikram couple of times (free pass courtesy of my former collegue) and both times i ended up with a headache of my life!

... i was introduced to astanga about five years ago by a very good teacher - but unfortunately she's an hour drive from my house so i couldn't sustain a 2~3 times a week schedule... good news i discovered that i could do a similar thing called jivamukti in my very own gym.

yoga_265x174.jpg

For the next 90 minutes, the scattershot, profanity-laced, name-dropping monologue continues, with Bikram rapping in mellifluous, Indian-accented English on a range of topics—the yoga routine, the world's finest automobiles, women he's known. Halfway through class, he abruptly stops and takes a long swig of Coke. He stands up, grabs his trunks, and lets out a loud belch. When he's finished burping, he holds his crotch tighter and thrusts wildly, screaming, "I am a Bengal tiger! I am a Bengal tiger!"

What a dick.

yoga_265x174.jpg

What a dick.

Speedos were that revealing huh?

I know very little about bikram but just from asking around, it seems that it is either a love or hate type of thing. The people that I've talked to who love it say that even they took some time to adjust to it, and that the first few classes understandably really freaked them out. One guy that I know even ran out of his first class as it was in progress but now he is a major devotee, going just about every day.

Just the idea of it freaks me out, it isn't for me.

What's wrong with the traditional forms of yoga that promote peace of mind, flexibility, internal health, etc.? I simply can't abide in the current culture of super-yoga classes, practiced by people looking for the quickest (and most trendy) way to weight loss and muscle building a la Madonna.

Seems to me that too many exercisers are obsessed with developing their abdominals, presumably due to the images they see on TV. I have always followed the advice of Simon Majumdar, who explained that free weight and free cardiovascular exercise all exercise the abdominals quite adequately for any purpose other than creating a photographic model's six-pack :blink:

ok..the whole 6 pack thing is an unsupportable myth. unless you have a scary low fat #..probably in the single digits...you cannot spot the 6 pack. not to mention the role of genes. popping pills and downing steroids help, of course...altho' dont plan to procreate or count on an IQ above room temperature.

the swiss ball routine is great. it gives you stability and balance...it helps me when i train to climb, but i am also generally suspicious of the whole core stability theory...but not enough to discard the baby with the bathwater. a little doubt never killed anyone and i take the hype with a pinch of salt. you should too. core stability workouts dont hurt, so why not...abs workouts, core stability are all about isolation workouts which theoritically doesnt make sense.

I like Bikram, but not with The Bikram. There's a studio on Chambers St. I used to go to and it was fairly mellow. But man oh man, the right instructor can really make or break your feeling towards this one. Talk about a shvitz. This is not a class to take lightly. Prepare well - start hydrating before class; bring an extra towel; arrive a few minutes early to get accustomed to the heated classroom; be honest with yourself and your instructor about your abilities.

Oh, and be prepared for the odor. 90+ degrees in a closed studio, with some usually too many sweaty people...

• 3 weeks later...