Keep On Running

My high school swim coach maintained that exercise was helpful for getting rid of colds, so having one was not an excuse for missing practice. In retrospect I wonder how much snot ended up in that pool. Oh well, that's what chlorine is for.

My doctor tells me that if you have an infection (throat or chest, say) exercise increases its circulation around the body so that it can better take hold elsewhere.

Now do I believe my doctor or your swim coach :D

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought this may act as a useful diary and motivation for the more slothful of our members   But, today, bugger all. too hungover from Rhodes.   Tomorrow is another day   S

Good session today with my trainer   All lower body, core stability and lower back   Jumps ( involving starting from a seated position on a bench and leaping to a standing position on a raised ste

today, an old boxer's running programme carried out early in the morning when glycogen ( sp?) stores are low and so aids fat burning. It creates a metabolism spike that lasts until about midday   1

40 minutes on the stair master, interval training, level 8. Then, 20 minutes on the elliptical, level 11. Did that on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Walked home from work nearly every night (2.5 miles) schlepping a heavy bookbag. I've got to get some weights into my routine. Or yoga.

Sunday, Walked from (Cookshop) 10th avenue and 20th street to Clinton and Houston, back to 10th avenue and 22nd street (Tia Pol) and then wove between 10th, 9th and 8th avenues in the high teens, low 20s for an hour while waiting for a seat at Tia Pol. Then I walked uptown to the 80s. Basically, I spend the weekends walking from lunch to dinner. :D

I've had a bad cold since Thursday, and have been disgusting my friends with my coughing and nose-blowing.

I ran four miles this morning for the first time since Wednesday.

Who needs an expectorant when there's exercise? After disgusting some strangers with some gasping, choking behavior that probably made them wonder what TB clinic I'd escaped from, I was breathing briskly and ready to graze my way through a couple of Chinatown restaurants for some nourishing soups.

Can't wait to run tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I took 2 yoga classes back to back. Just felt like continuing. I sort of assumed I would get really fatigued at some point in the second class - but in fact just the opposite happened. The second class was a really energized, strong class for me. Man, what a great feeling. I'm sure I'm taller. :P

• 1 month later...

Been alternating somewhat - one day one yoga class, next day 2 yoga classes. This shit works. I did 7 full pushups today - that's a big deal for me, that upper body and core strength.

Tomorrow I will do a 90 minute yoga session in the morning, and in the evening I'm doing a kickboxing class followed by a core strength class.

I'm kicking ass. And sleeping better. Not to mention the other, er, added benefits.

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a perfect day for the NYRRC's Hot Chocolate 10 Mile Race in Central Park. After, my girlfriends and I passed on the Swiss Miss that the NYRRC presumably had and headed straight for the good stuff at Cafe Sabarsky. Though it is disturbing to run in short sleeves on December 16, this morning's weather could not have been better.

And now it is time for a nice nap with the kitties, who are an endless source of inspiration on this front.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...