I greatly appreciated Rebecca's kind sentiments sent both publicly and privately. She will be missed.

Perhaps I missed it. Can someone provide a link to what happened to her?

So sad!

Peter, Carrie's opening post has a link to an obituary in the newspaper. Doesn't actually say, but indicates that it was probably not awful.

She used to refer spending a lot of time with hospital staff. I just assumed that she was a volunteer. Maybe not, though. Sigh.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leslie, I'd love to see the photo.   Thanks!

GalPalJoan saw it and, with a bad feeling, asked what I thought. The birthdates were the same so I checked with Orik to get a name confirmation and based on an an existing email contact for her, it se

I'm so sorry to hear this. Condolences to her family and friends.

I just finished reading the thread... and the obituary. I'm still stunned. I wondered why I hadn't seen her posts in some time, but hadn't expected this. What a loss. She certainly affected a lot of people and the touching posts here (and in her guest book) reflect the extent of her presence. She will be greatly missed.

My condolences to her family and friends.

She used to refer spending a lot of time with hospital staff. I just assumed that she was a volunteer. Maybe not, though. Sigh.

I recall a post or two of hers in the Depressing thread where she alluded to certain health issues. If you care to look back, they are in there somewhere.

She was too young to go but, as others have said, if you are in your favourite chair when it happens, that's no small thing. And she checked in on us the day before.

I recall a post or two of hers in the Depressing thread where she alluded to certain health issues. If you care to look back, they are in there somewhere.

She was too young to go but, as others have said, if you are in your favourite chair when it happens, that's no small thing. And she checked in on us the day before.

I cared to look back. Quite poignant, really, after the fact:

This is a very interesting thread. You see, I was expecting to die today. Or, at least I was prepared. Then they cancelled my appointment.

I'm trying to figure out my choices. What to wear. Last minute change to remains placement/dispersal. Don't mean to sound flip here. I know what some of you are really going through and it's not a subject for humor. Yet, humor is a way to cope. I don't think there's much ego involved in mentioning it here, because, well, I have lots of things to do first but am pretty much ready. The private sense of utter outrage is useless, accomplishes nothing but higher blood pressure. My biggest annoyance though is all the paperwork I must sign before they schedule another date. That's what's holding up the possibilities. Before you cast me off as a melodramatic attention-seeking nutcase, I can't think up sufficiently annoying words here. It's what we all go through when seeing a doctor and given "a choice" to proceed. Mine is just tooth extraction, caused by bad dentistry, which is causing systemic infections. But because of other things working as possibilities, my doctor doesn't want the extractions done in the dentist's office but in a hospital instead, in case of heart or stroke events. So they schedule a time and tell you the worst case scenarios for your/their informed consent purposes. And damn yes I must sign the arbitration clauses or they probably won't perform needed services. Which, of course, so far, I've refused to do. It is a bit surreal as well as depressing to think about the worst case scenario that was scheduled for today. I think I like the one about not feeling right, asking for a brandy, and then it happening. That is much better than the falling piano. :ph43r:

Thanks, Geeg. Now I hope she asked for that brandy before settling into her favorite chair.

I just realized she was referring to my description of my grandmother's death in that same thread. Either way's an okay way to go, if you ask me.

This sad thread, and going the way one wishes, really brings home the recent death of my mother. She would have wished to have died in her favorite chair, at home. And she made that quite clear.

Instead, she died in a hospital bed, hooked up to hoses and tubes and monitors.

She had told my dad to just let her go.

But he simply couldn't. He was not capable of it. He had to do everything he could think of to hang on to her until the last second. And still he says, "I just can't help but believe the doctors could have done something more for her."

A peaceful death in a spot you love...

We should all be so lucky.

And it made me think of my former neighbor, who lived across the hall from me when I was in my old apartment.

She was fairly reclusive, but always smiling and polite when we crossed paths in the hallway. She had lived alone for 70 years. When she passed, they found her seated at her kitchen table with a cup of tea and a book. I remember thinking, "I hope I go like that!"

Oh. So sad. After many posts that I wrote off as simply dotty, I was really starting to get her, and to like her style. And thanks G for bringing up a post that now means so much more. Rest in peace, Rebecca.

She would have wished to have died in her favorite chair, at home. And she made that quite clear. Instead, she died in a hospital bed, hooked up to hoses and tubes and monitors.

J, Thus the importance of properly executed durable powers of attorney for medical care and "do not resuscitate" forms.

These were very handy when handling my father's demise in accordance with his wishes.