• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leslie, I'd love to see the photo.   Thanks!

GalPalJoan saw it and, with a bad feeling, asked what I thought. The birthdates were the same so I checked with Orik to get a name confirmation and based on an an existing email contact for her, it se

I'm so sorry to hear this. Condolences to her family and friends.

She would have wished to have died in her favorite chair, at home. And she made that quite clear. Instead, she died in a hospital bed, hooked up to hoses and tubes and monitors.

J, Thus the importance of properly executed durable powers of attorney for medical care and "do not resuscitate" forms.

These were very handy when handling my father's demise in accordance with his wishes.

Easy to say, and something that I think we all know.

But it only works when the person that has the "power of attorney" and is in charge of the "do not resuscitate" orders is willing to say goodbye. Which my father was not.

My aunt was determined that my grandmother would live on, even in a vegetative state, until the earth exploded and the heavens fell around us. And she kept my grandmother alive for at least four years beyond the time that God first called her. All the papers and documents were signed that said otherwise. But even though my grandmother was on hospice and had made her wishes clear, both orally and in written form, my aunt was in charge. And she kept calling the paramedics, and drove to Mexico to bring back antibiotics, and absolutely did whatever she could to hold on tightly to my grandmother's foot while God kept pulling her home.

She would have wished to have died in her favorite chair, at home. And she made that quite clear. Instead, she died in a hospital bed, hooked up to hoses and tubes and monitors.

J, Thus the importance of properly executed durable powers of attorney for medical care and "do not resuscitate" forms.

These were very handy when handling my father's demise in accordance with his wishes.

Easy to say, and something that I think we all know.

But it only works when the person that has the "power of attorney" and is in charge of the "do not resuscitate" orders is willing to say goodbye. Which my father was not.

My aunt was determined that my grandmother would live on, even in a vegetative state, until the earth exploded and the heavens fell around us. And she kept my grandmother alive for at least four years beyond the time that God first called her. All the papers and documents were signed that said otherwise. But even though my grandmother was on hospice and had made her wishes clear, both orally and in written form, my aunt was in charge. And she kept calling the paramedics, and drove to Mexico to bring back antibiotics, and absolutely did whatever she could to hold on tightly to my grandmother's foot while God kept pulling her home.

See, sometimes we do need direct deposit.

Such sad news... She was eccentric but sweet and her posts were always caring. 67 is too young to go - such a pity.

Carolyn and GalPalJoan, thanks so much for posting about this and making us all aware. Rebecca will not be forgotten.

I'm vaguely remembering a post from Rebecca a few months ago in which she expressed some concern over not seeing certain regular posters - she seemed worried that something bad had happened to them and feared that some potentially sad news hadn't spread to this community. I hope that somewhere Rebecca knows that we heard and that we miss her.

Oh. So sad. After many posts that I wrote off as simply dotty, I was really starting to get her, and to like her style. And thanks G for bringing up a post that now means so much more. Rest in peace, Rebecca.

At first, I felt the same, and like Rancho Gordo, sometimes was frustrated. But then saw her style, which was endearing in her dottiness -- and hilarious in the unexpected zinger. :lol: I hope I made it clear to her how much I valued her participation. If not, I hope she knows wherever she is now.

Ditto on thanks to GG, Carrie, and GPJ.

Greetings,

I am Rebecca's son, I just want to say thanks for the overwhelming amount of sheer goodness in everyone's hearts regarding my mother's passing. She loved this site, spoke constantly of her "imaginary food friends". She also printed off volumes of pages from this site - maybe not all 3877 posts, which is mindblowing to me, but she always really did get into things with all her heart.

She left a collection of Rancho Gordo Beans, about 10 pounds of which we've found a good home, but there are more open bags- about 12. If there is anybody in the area (Carpinteria - Santa Barbara) that would like the remaining beans, plus a few cookbooks, new and vintage, or just chat, please contact me at muchohucho AT yahoo.com . I am hoping that I will be able to review her posts of what was to her a very significant aspect of her life. Thank you all for being her friend.

Thomas Cappiello

Palmer, Alaska

currently in Carpinteria, Ca.

Thomas, I am so sorry for your loss. Many condolences to you and yours.

Edited to add that if I wasn't in the midst of packing to move, I'd drive up and get the beans and books to dole out amongst the area Mouthfuls gang. How long will you be in SB/Carpinteria?

Thomas - I am glad you have posted to tell us how much your mother enjoyed spending time with us. We will certainly miss her often entertaining and always thoughtful posts and her deep caring. (Are you her fly fishing/fly tying son? She mentioned you to me a number of times.)

How touching, Thomas. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to join the site and get in touch with us.

I am so sorry for your loss, and it truly is a loss for the site as well.

Condolences and best wishes.

My feelings, exactly. Thank you and condolonces, Thomas.