Carolyn Tillie

Rebecca

Thomas, I'm so sorry for your loss. We will miss Rebecca - she was such a welcome presence on the site.

Thomas, I'm so sorry. With every single fiber of my being, I wish you well. And if it's possible to draw strength from some simple text on a computer screen, than I hope you can milk every character for all that its worth. God bless. My sincere condolences.

icon12.gif,

Bill.

Thank you all for being her friend.

Thomas, your post about what the MF community meant to your mother means so much--thank you for taking the time to post here.

I will miss her tremendously--odd, isn't it, someone never met in person who is truly a friend. Your mother was that to me.

Cristina

Thank you so much for posting about your mother, Thomas. She was a very vivid member of the Mouthfuls community and, as you can tell from reading this thread, she will be missed.

How touching, Thomas. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to join the site and get in touch with us.

I am so sorry for your loss, and it truly is a loss for the site as well.

Condolences and best wishes.

My feelings, exactly. Thank you and condolonces, Thomas.

Yes indeed.

Rebecca's posts frequently made me grin, she just had a way about her. Wish I'd known her better.

Thomas - I am glad you have posted to tell us how much your mother enjoyed spending time with us. We will certainly miss her often entertaining and always thoughtful posts and her deep caring. (Are you her fly fishing/fly tying son? She mentioned you to me a number of times.)

Thanks! That'd be me -At least for 5 or so months a year (May - October) in Alaska and the occasional winter trip to Washington to fish steelhead.

I forgot to mention too, and this would apply to Peter Creasey's post (thanks for remembering BTW), I last spoke with mom just after my birthday. She ordered me subscriptions to Cooks's Ilustrated (which was on my Christmas list), and Saveur. We talked about some of her cookbooks, and she expessed amazement that "Sophia Loren: In the Kitchen with Love" was fetching around five hundred bucks (signed of course) thru Amazon. Her's wasn't signed, but I kind of felt that "something was up" talking about these things, and value and what not. But then she said, gotta go and finish my flax seed bread. I figured she's baking bread, must not be feeling too bad. The bread apparently was baked at a friend's place because her oven broke, and entered in the 20th annual Santa Barbara Fair and Expo.

Someone in the memorial pages mentioned her molded shrimp mouse, now I think that might be the same as what she called the Shrimp (tomato) Aspic. We were "tortured" by the dish all our lives. I use to call it shrimp jello, and that really pissed her off , "its an aspic!!!!". One mold and one mold only was used. The last time I had it was a couple of years ago at a little get together with some of our good friends here in Carp she hosted. Finally, after 40plus years, I took a bite, and liked it, really like it. Last night I spend at least two hours going through a completely disorganized box of saved recipes, these are handwritten, newspaper, magazine, and brand promo recipes back to the 60s. I think I found it, but if she posted it some where on this site, I'd like to get it. She made a lot of wonderful dishes but this was a classic. Now I just have to find the mold.

Someone in the memorial pages mentioned her molded shrimp mouse, now I think that might be the same as what she called the Shrimp (tomato) Aspic. We were "tortured" by the dish all our lives. I use to call it shrimp jello, and that really pissed her off , "its an aspic!!!!". One mold and one mold only was used. The last time I had it was a couple of years ago at a little get together with some of our good friends here in Carp she hosted. Finally, after 40plus years, I took a bite, and liked it, really like it. Last night I spend at least two hours going through a completely disorganized box of saved recipes, these are handwritten, newspaper, magazine, and brand promo recipes back to the 60s. I think I found it, but if she posted it some where on this site, I'd like to get it. She made a lot of wonderful dishes but this was a classic. Now I just have to find the mold.

I don't recall her posting a recipe here but she mentioned it. Earlier she had started a whole thread on "New Century Appetizers" that yielded some astonishing gelatinous things; it was classic Rebecca! I do hope you are able to find the mold; this is the kind of thing that helps families endure.

Thomas,

Your mom had a good time in here. This website will be a lasting memory of her for you. That's a great thing. Don't be a stranger.

Jane

Thomas, I am so glad you found us and let us know that our heartfelt condolences and affection towards your mother has not gone unheard from her family. She was incredibly special and well-cherished.

Thank you so much for letting us share our memories with the rest of her family.

Someone in the memorial pages mentioned her molded shrimp mouse, now I think that might be the same as what she called the Shrimp (tomato) Aspic. We were "tortured" by the dish all our lives. I use to call it shrimp jello, and that really pissed her off , "its an aspic!!!!".

LOL! I can just hear her saying that!! Thanks for sharing your memories with us.

Thomas - I am glad you have posted to tell us how much your mother enjoyed spending time with us. We will certainly miss her often entertaining and always thoughtful posts and her deep caring. (Are you her fly fishing/fly tying son? She mentioned you to me a number of times.)

Thanks! That'd be me -At least for 5 or so months a year (May - October) in Alaska and the occasional winter trip to Washington to fish steelhead.

I forgot to mention too, and this would apply to Peter Creasey's post (thanks for remembering BTW), I last spoke with mom just after my birthday. She ordered me subscriptions to Cooks's Ilustrated (which was on my Christmas list), and Saveur. We talked about some of her cookbooks, and she expessed amazement that "Sophia Loren: In the Kitchen with Love" was fetching around five hundred bucks (signed of course) thru Amazon. Her's wasn't signed, but I kind of felt that "something was up" talking about these things, and value and what not. But then she said, gotta go and finish my flax seed bread. I figured she's baking bread, must not be feeling too bad. The bread apparently was baked at a friend's place because her oven broke, and entered in the 20th annual Santa Barbara Fair and Expo.

The recipe for the shrimp aspic is on page 96 of the PNW potluck thread. Maybe someone can link to it. So sorry for your loss.

The recipe for the shrimp aspic is on page 96 of the PNW potluck thread. Maybe someone can link to it. So sorry for your loss.

Here ya go:

Yessiree, even tastes better the next day. I inhaled it for breakfast before running off to the airplane. And Rockdoggydog, I have just re-read and re-read your Cowboy bean recipe. I think it needs a more glamorous name because it certainly includes a unique prep that no cowboy would even think of, much less be able to accomplish. Maybe most MFFers here know the water bath cook but it is new to me. And a fabulous way to have it finished already in portions. Brilliant job. My efforts are probably not able to be duplicated because as I told SeaGal I make stuff up on the fly and forget to write it down. You need to catch your own cojo salmon in Alaska then lightly saute it in butter and honey. Then flake it up and stir with sour cream, cream cheese, lots of fresh dill and lemon. Plus I added the packet of tartar "sauce" that came in the box of VanDeCamp fish fillets the night before (you empty the dry ingredients of the packet into a cup of boiling water, let it cool and then add half cup of mayonnaise). The shimp mold was a recipe from a college roommate's mother who entertained a lot at the SF Presidio as the wife of a Colonel Doctor. It is one of my favorite selfish indulgences:

Heat slowly on low burner 1 can of tomato soup with 1 packet cream cheese, stirring frequently. Dissolve one packet of Knox Gelatine in half cup cold water then add to mix and heat/stir for about ten minutes while you chop up the trinity sweet onion, celery and bell pepper. Turn off heat and let mix cool to room temp. Then add trinity, two cans of shrimp and half cup of mayonnaise. Refrigerate. Way too easy.

I cheated with Fred's chocolate cake recipe. I embellished a store-bought boxed Devil's Food cake mix by adding 1/2 c dutch processed cocoa, replaced water with buttermilk and cara cara orange juice and zest and added a splash of Grand Marnier and vanilla. Melted about 3 oz of ScharfenBerger dark chocolate with a fourth cup of heavy cream and two T unsalted butter and another light splash of Grand Marnier. Drizzled over the top. With Malarky's cara cara chiffon cake, oh boy!

Still waiting for the other recipes!

Thomas, I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. How kind of you to follow her trail here. If you decide to stick around as a member of this ragtag “community”, your mother's death won't have been a complete loss.

So hard to know what to say but I, too, Thomas, appreciate your coming here to let us know that her friends and family are aware of her many friends on MF.

Thanks for taking the time.

And my sincerest condolences.

I forgot to mention too, and this would apply to Peter Creasey's post (thanks for remembering BTW)

Thomas, You should take heart that your mom shared with us a few facts about you. You obviously were very special in her eyes and heart. This speaks volumes about her and you.