This week: lots of green beans, more lettuces, great radishes, more strawberries and, little by little, BLACKBERRIES! We put in some cuttings from my dad's berry patch last year and they took. Woo-hoo.

Zukes and cukes are looking well - the former should be ready by the weekend - as are the Brussels sprouts. And I saw my first little tomato today. The cilantro is unhappy though, and I'm not feeling optimistic about our eggplants, which last year were amazing. Oh, and the dill bit it. Any advice for growing dill? Should it be in a pot v. the ground (where it was)?

Forget moonlight...ooh, what a little sunshine can do. Cilantro and eggplants doing much better today. As for the dill, thanks for the advice, all - I'll pick up some dill starts this weekend and try them in a pot. And not a plastic one.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week: lots of green beans, more lettuces, great radishes, more strawberries and, little by little, BLACKBERRIES! We put in some cuttings from my dad's berry patch last year and they took. Woo-hoo.

Zukes and cukes are looking well - the former should be ready by the weekend - as are the Brussels sprouts. And I saw my first little tomato today. The cilantro is unhappy though, and I'm not feeling optimistic about our eggplants, which last year were amazing. Oh, and the dill bit it. Any advice for growing dill? Should it be in a pot v. the ground (where it was)?

Forget moonlight...ooh, what a little sunshine can do. Cilantro and eggplants doing much better today. As for the dill, thanks for the advice, all - I'll pick up some dill starts this weekend and try them in a pot. And not a plastic one.

i miss my garden, but i don't miss trying to force neighbors to take our "too much squash" in exchange for accepting their "too many" tomatoes. but i will generously offer to accept any of your bumper crop. ;)

My tomato plants are spindley, even tho they're setting fruit...Too much fertilizer?

Are they getting eight hours of sunshine [not just morning light] a day?

Hmmm. Probably close; mostly noon and after, actually. We moved some hostas, (hearty perennial, or useless weed?)so they're getting more sunlight than they eve have. you think that's it?

I've always heard spindly-ness to be a product of too little sun, not too much. Some online info I found also attributes it to excessive nitrogen or crowding of plants. Do either of those causes fit your situation? When you asked about too much fertilizer, were you confessin'?

I've always heard spindly-ness to be a product of too little sun, not too much. Some online info I found also attributes it to excessive nitrogen or crowding of plants. Do either of those causes fit your situation? When you asked about too much fertilizer, were you confessin'?

Ummmm,maybe....

:ph43r:

There was an episode with an old box of Miracle-gro...we are transitional....

Plus, they are a little close; what about that sq.ft gardening stuff?

Ummmm,maybe....

Miracle-Gro, gasp!!

It's been a while since I did square-foot gardening, so I don't remember the directions for tomatoes - if one could plant four tomatoes in a 4x4 plot. Someone else here should be able to tell you.

From our Aggie Horticulture site on tomatoes: "Make the transplant holes 3-4 inches deep, and 2-4 feet apart in the row. Space rows at least 3 feet apart for staked or caged plants. For unsupported plants, leave 4-5 feet between rows."

That would indicate an average of 3 ft from plant stalk to plant stalk. Are yours closer than this?

Ummmm,maybe....

Miracle-Gro, gasp!!

It's been a while since I did square-foot gardening, so I don't remember the directions for tomatoes - if one could plant four tomatoes in a 4x4 plot. Someone else here should be able to tell you.

From our Aggie Horticulture site on tomatoes: "Make the transplant holes 3-4 inches deep, and 2-4 feet apart in the row. Space rows at least 3 feet apart for staked or caged plants. For unsupported plants, leave 4-5 feet between rows."

That would indicate an average of 3 ft from plant stalk to plant stalk. Are yours closer than this?

Ummm, maybe a little less. 30" or so....Will measure tomorrow...

Do you have a Master Gardeners program or County Extension agent or organic gardening club around there? You may just need some local reassurance or wisdom.

I think I may need more room, and more sun, both of which are a losing proposition. TC values"The lawn"above all else....Sigh....You can't eat it; or,at least, we can't..I keep asking for a goat, but NOOOOOOO....

• 4 weeks later...

Our zucchini were thriving. Then we went away for about a week and returned to find one dead plant, one dying plant, and some truly disgusting squash bore worms. I can only assume they've already gotten to the third plant, though it still looks healthy. I'm not optimistic.

Our chards also appear to be rotting, though I can't figure out why. Kales are fine so far, ditto the eggplants. Can the sun please come out already?

Tomatoes exploded today. With all the rain, two days of sunlight caused the riper cherry tomatoes to swell and split, so I gathered them and used them for dinner tonight. Probably a good two quarts. Many, many green tomatoes in the zebra and consulto group. Rosemary is doing well, as is the oregano. Parsley is fine, as is the tarragon.

The peppers are just beginning to set fruit, so I'm not expecting much this year. Abundant foliage, though.

I think the driveway adjacent to the garden absorbs and slowly releases a lot of evening heat. Barefoot, at 11pm, the driveway still felt quite warm to me.

Our zucchini were thriving. Then we went away for about a week and returned to find one dead plant, one dying plant, and some truly disgusting squash bore worms. I can only assume they've already gotten to the third plant, though it still looks healthy. I'm not optimistic.

Our chards also appear to be rotting, though I can't figure out why. Kales are fine so far, ditto the eggplants. Can the sun please come out already?

This site suggests that the squash borers are a recurrent problem with zucchini, squash, etc unless the plants are removed and destroyed, and spraying is practiced.

Sevin is a pretty extreme response

harvested the first of the san marzanos and ate them last week

6170_109426103302_707048302_2352242_2414511_n.jpg

unfortunately, all the other fruit on the two plants are green (though i optimistically think that a couple of clusters may be on the verge of turning). ditto for the two black krim plants and my two cherry varieties. no, that's not correct. a couple of the isis candy fruits have turned yellow (i think they go to yellowish red) and i think one of the krims has begun to blush. we have a week of warm(er) nights coming up, so i am hopeful that i'll be a much happier tomato gardener this time next week.