Chama Mama

Wilfrid

I have been curious about this Georgian restaurant on West 14th for a long time. Finally went and it was not what I imagined. Forget Oda House, or anything homey. This is a sleek, very large space (two rooms), modern and loud. And very busy (Friday evening).

I would not travel miles for the food, but the appetizers in particular were interesting. A selection of pkhali: minced vegetables squeezed into balls -- eggplant, spinach, etc -- served with flatbread and grated smoked cheese. And a wild garlic salad, the taste of which stays with you.

My entree was a pork kebab which I felt could be any pork kebab from anywhere. My companion ordered the massive rack of lamb chops (and I got one). There are a lot of interesting salads as well as traditional dough-based dishes.

Fair price, around $150 for two before tax and tip. Only one drinking. Guess who.

Haven't been to the one you visited, but I have it on good authority (well, small h) that its worth going.  I have been to the newish one on Montague St in Bklyn Hts and didn't find that it stood up to the other Georgian places I've eaten at in Bklyn (there are quite a few).  Probably not a fair assessment since they were just serving a limited menu when I went, but I didn't think that the "home cooking" aspect was present, only an efficient kitchen serving from pre-set ingredients.  Even the khachapuri was more just "cheese bread" than what it should be.  Not that I've ever thought that cheese bread was a bad thing.  Maybe time to try again.  Or to hike out to the outer borough of Manhattan.

That may be fair because, as I tried to say, it presents much more as a sleek, modern restaurant than anything homey. 

BTW, the first amber wine I tasted was great. Then they accidentally served me a different one when I asked for more. What I ordered was the 2019 KAKHETI CO - KISI AMBER. But of course it's possible they got my first order wrong and the second right. Who knows?

We’ve been to the one up by the Museum of Natural History. Definitely one of the better Georgian places I’ve eaten at, and I like the more modern vibe. Clearly they’ve given thought to the much larger number of vegans in the city than most restaurants of their kind - not that it really matters for me, though it’s nice to have some lighter brighter veg dishes to balance the artery-cloggers that make up the bulk of many Georgian meals.