robyn's drivel comment seemed to be about the quality of the writing, not the content--which is fair enough; though i suspect the primary attraction of cheffy memoirs is not their literary qualities.

You're correct. Robyn

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed that chefs tend to be greater assholes than people in similar positions in other professions. Why is this?

Maybe you've been lucky with the people you've met.

Trotter doesn't sound like a bigger asshole than many executives I have known.

I don't think I have been witness to anything as bad as that other than chefs. And I don't work in kitchens. I have seen attorneys thrown in jail for much less than that. That profession seems to generate a greater proportion of prima donnas than others. And, I have been around.

There was a time when chefs were merely names. The interface was the food. It was better that way.

I don't think I have been witness to anything as bad as that other than chefs. And I don't work in kitchens. I have seen attorneys thrown in jail for much less than that. That profession seems to generate a greater proportion of prima donnas than others. And, I have been around.

I could tell you a few stories....

The partner who held daily shouting matches with his secretary across the hall.

The partner who regularly stared at his secretary's breasts whenever he spoke to her.

The partner who lined up members of a transaction team in a hallway as if we were soldiers in the Army and berated us for our shortcomings -- in full view of the staff.

The senior associate who urinated on premises and then when caught by a security guard, attempted to impersonate a junior partner because he didn't get along with him.

The junior partner who disclosed the contents of documents that were filed under seal in court to a magazine reporter. He's still practicing, the last time I checked.

The mid-level associate who would hand over documents to Word Processing to be EDGARized -- while wearing a bathrobe.

It makes my current work life seem tame in comparison. Oh wait, it *IS* tame. Thank god I'm not in a Wall St firm anymore. :lol:

passion and drive always makes for a fascinating read to me. battling and surviving IVb stage tongue cancer, finding the right doctor that can save the most important organ/tool for your job (after the brain) - it's quite a story...

The cancer diagnosis was only made about 2 years ago (5 year survival rates are a general guideline in discussing cancer). We have no way of knowing what will happen down the road. More important - I tend to dislike celebrity disease stories (in general - not this one in particular). We have no way of knowing whether the treatment Chef Achatz got was appropriate for him (for all we know - he chose an option not recommended by his doctors) - and we certainly don't know whether it would be appropriate for anyone else. Yet I'm sure there will be patients who will walk into doctors' offices saying - well he got this and it worked for him - so I want it too.

passion and drive always makes for a fascinating read to me. battling and surviving IVb stage tongue cancer, finding the right doctor that can save the most important organ/tool for your job (after the brain) - it's quite a story...

The cancer diagnosis was only made about 2 years ago (5 year survival rates are a general guideline in discussing cancer). We have no way of knowing what will happen down the road. More important - I tend to dislike celebrity disease stories (in general - not this one in particular). We have no way of knowing whether the treatment Chef Achatz got was appropriate for him (for all we know - he chose an option not recommended by his doctors) - and we certainly don't know whether it would be appropriate for anyone else. Yet I'm sure there will be patients who will walk into doctors' offices saying - well he got this and it worked for him - so I want it too.

I guess you're saying he shouldn't write the story until he dies? Until then, the jury's out.

leaving a wife and young children. Who wound up in not great shape financially

If I were that young widow, I don't think I'd be happy to see my financial situation speculated about on an internet food board.

why is it drivel?

“Is that how we blanch peaches?”

[Longer pause]

“In warm water?”

You tell me.

I feel sorry for the guy. He's young and very sick. But great writing this is not. I just hope the point of it is - like I said - to make a few extra bucks for his family if worst comes to worst. Chefs - even those as famous as he is - don't usually make tons of money. Robyn

Is there a space between great writing and drivel.

I'm no Achatz fan but he's a very successful chef, he's at the forefront (in this country, at least) of a fashionable restaurant movement, he has an interesting (if pompous) point of view and he's suffering from a particularly tragic (given his trade) form of cancer. I'd rather read his memoir than most.

And the passage suggests it might be quite funny.

Achatz writes a regular column in The Atlantic's food section. I enjoy it.

Hello stranger.

I heard you spent a whole afternoon at Abilene and didn't even wave hello.

Edit: Great place to while away an afternoon, aint it?