Your next cookbook

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

40% off coupon and a gift certificate, what should I get? It's going to depend on what they have in stock, of course, but some books on my wish list or just look interesting are (not in any particula

I agree, except that once in a while I feel like doing it. What I find chef's or restaurant cookbooks useful for is inspiration, new flavor combinations, new ingredients, that kind of thing. It woul

That's great news! Out of nowhere the other day, Eden Lipson crossed my mind. Now I know why.

Posted Images

A match of the mousses? NBC vs an old war horse? I got no problem wit dat.

Let the games begin. :rolleyes:

I'd like to play.

Wasn't it you who brought an incredibly wonderful chicken liver mousse to some get-together (maybe the one at dba or Redhead?)? If that's the recipe, I'll put my money on it.

That's the recipe I had in mind. I wasn't the one who brought it that time, but I have made it, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Amanda Hesser's tome arrived Saturday and I've spent a few hours with it. It's going to take several days just to get the lay of the land. I'm very impressed, so far. Even granting that Hesser made choices that reflect her latter-day tastes, it's been fascinating to see how sophisticated (again, by contemporary standards) some of the food was in 19th century New York. I love the headnotes and background information.

I have found one error; I'm sure that there are many -- it's unavoidable in a book of this size and range. Lindy's cheesecake, which I had more than once, had a cookie-type crust, not a graham-cracker crumb-type crust. I remember writing a letter to the food editor at the time the recipe appeared, pointing out the discrepancy. As I recall, it was printed, but Hesser went along with the original error. I am correct.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A friend sent me a copy of the new Dorie Greenspan book Around My French Table. I've only gone through the first two chapters, but I want to make EVERYTHING. I went to sleep last night dreaming of salmon rillettes and gougeres made with gruyere.

Here's the too-big-to-go-in-the-book glossary

Wow, thanks for that link! I don't have the book, but the information there is very handy.

(FWIW, I got to chat with Dorie on our way to and from Austin -- same flights both ways -- and she is just adorable! Makes me want to read everything she's done.)

Yes, she's such a dear - I've enjoyed the two chats I've had with her when she's dropped in to Austin for a class and book-signing. You can't go wrong with her baking or French titles. So many hints, alternatives, trucs - very complete recipes.

I finally ordered that book a few days ago. Never had the honor of meeting Dorie, but I have seen her participate on the web in various ways over the years and she does seem like such a nice person. I own almost all of her books.

• 4 months later...

"plenty: vibrant recipes from london's ottolenghi"

gorgeous photos and some interesting ideas for healthy seasonal dishes

61IpDBWusmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Love this book. There's a recipe in the beginning for carrots with warm spices, vinegar, and cilantro that is addictive.

"plenty: vibrant recipes from london's ottolenghi"

gorgeous photos and some interesting ideas for healthy seasonal dishes

61IpDBWusmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Love this book. There's a recipe in the beginning for carrots with warm spices, vinegar, and cilantro that is addictive.

the basmati wild rice and quinoa salad recipe caught my eye

here are about 300 of his recipes from the guardian

It's not a new book, but after about 12 years I finally got my hands on a copy of Copeland Mark's Sephardic Cooking. It's a hardback in excellent condition and it only cost about $12.50. A search online shows copies going for over $100 (some of them the paperback edition).