Your next cookbook

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

40% off coupon and a gift certificate, what should I get? It's going to depend on what they have in stock, of course, but some books on my wish list or just look interesting are (not in any particula

I agree, except that once in a while I feel like doing it. What I find chef's or restaurant cookbooks useful for is inspiration, new flavor combinations, new ingredients, that kind of thing. It woul

That's great news! Out of nowhere the other day, Eden Lipson crossed my mind. Now I know why.

Posted Images

I really like Mimi Thorisson's sensibilities. Seasonal, beautiful, elegant. Yet simple and very "doable". https://www.amazon.com/Mimi-Thorisson/e/B00IXLN5L4

But oh the discussions of the cover of A Kitchen in France and what it means! (Not positive by any means)

What us offensive about the cover? And If I were half a century younger, I'd opt for her life. Maybe sans 6 or 7 kids.

Everything is easy if you're wealthy and beautiful.

There's a lot to be said for either. Even more for both.

I still like her taste and simple approach. She instills quiet confidence, and the results are stunning and delicious.

I really like Mimi Thorisson's sensibilities. Seasonal, beautiful, elegant. Yet simple and very "doable". https://www.amazon.com/Mimi-Thorisson/e/B00IXLN5L4

But oh the discussions of the cover of A Kitchen in France and what it means! (Not positive by any means)

What us offensive about the cover? And If I were half a century younger, I'd opt for her life. Maybe sans 6 or 7 kids.

Other than the ultra insouciant, off-balance one-footed pose, the clearly impossible-to-work-at height of the table. That is not a woman cooking; that is a woman pretending to be a woman cooking.

Mostly though I think people were upset at the supposed perfectness of her life. Kind of the way people hate Ree Drummond.

• 2 months later...

I assume you're referring to the new Artisan series. Depends on the publisher. If they see a market, they might go for it. There are some new costs (sometimes new material is added), but basically this creates new revenue streams from material that has pretty much already been paid for. So it makes money for the publisher almost right out of the gate--and for the the author(s), depending on how the contract is written.

I think of Artisan as fairly expensive, high-production-value, big books. What I've seen in Publishers Weekly is that they want to reach a broader market with lower-priced, smaller, more "approachable" books. They figured that people love pizza and pasta. And they want to sell out of less-conventional outlets, not only traditional bookstores. The example I saw was the hope that someone would come to Artisan and say: "We sell pizza stones; why not a pizza book, too?" No comment on the lack of B2B marketing that hope conveys. Also no comment on the possibility that customers who bought the Franny's book will not realize that they already have the same material and needn't buy the "new" ones. (I've fallen for that myself; also when a book is reissued by a different publisher with a different title.)

• 1 month later...

The library offered up Sicily, by Melissa Muller. It's beautiful, well written, and the couple of recipes I've made are simple and delicious. Sicilian cuisine incorporates flavors and techniques from the various cultures that have touched the island, rendering it different from other Italian styles, (not entirely different -- there's plenty of pasta) sufficiently distinct so that I can justify the purchase. I haven't been as interested in a cookbook since Jerusalem.