GrantK

Your next cookbook

Oh, I agree (and for the same reasons). The recipes I've found of hers online are definitely in the company category. I'll be so happy the day that someone comes out with a cookbook for cooking fabulous food lightly (I've been looking online, and most chefs give that type of cooking a wide berth).

also, apart from the richness issue, when you have to do so much prep it isn't worth it to cook for just two people. i can't figure out how to scale complex recipes down that much, and eating leftovers with diminishing returns doesn't seem worth it given the starting cost.

I agree, except that once in a while I feel like doing it. What I find chef's or restaurant cookbooks useful for is inspiration, new flavor combinations, new ingredients, that kind of thing. It would have to be a very special occasion, indeed, for me to make one of her menus in its entirety, but one dish as part of a simpler meal is fine.

• Like 8

check out the thread devoted to the cookbook.

That's what inspired the purchase.

Oh, I agree (and for the same reasons). The recipes I've found of hers online are definitely in the company category. I'll be so happy the day that someone comes out with a cookbook for cooking fabulous food lightly (I've been looking online, and most chefs give that type of cooking a wide berth).

also, apart from the richness issue, when you have to do so much prep it isn't worth it to cook for just two people. i can't figure out how to scale complex recipes down that much, and eating leftovers with diminishing returns doesn't seem worth it given the starting cost.

pretty much every dish in this book consists of several components. And you don't need to make the whole to enjoy clever components within their own right. And use them in your everyday cooking for two people.

pretty much every dish in this book consists of several components. And you don't need to make the whole to enjoy clever components within their own right. And use them in your everyday cooking for two people.

Yes, exactly my impression. Even last night, I didn't bother with the braised leeks that are part of the whole dish.

What memesuze said about Dorie and Andrea.

If you like to grill, Seven Fires is a must.

I'd already started plopping a cast iron pan on my Weber last year,and Seven Fires has given me lots more more inspiration.A tip of the hat to Serious Barbecue,by Adam Perry Lang,as well....

I was giving Seven Fires as a bday present and gave the book to a friend who I think is preparing something from the book while I am away.. Looking forward to seeing what she comes up with.

So what's on all y'alls' Christmas/holiday wish lists?

off the top of my head, I think I want Momofuku, Ad Hoc, The Craft of Baking, New Classic Family Dinners (by Mark Peel of Campanile).

I was not prepared to like Momofuku and got it for the steamed buns only; but leafing through the book i found quite a few interesting ideas.

Just realized that the John Besh book is my list as well. I picked up the new Larousse last month. Haven't had time to look at it yet (I have the edition from the '80s)

Just realized that the John Besh book is my list as well. I picked up the new Larousse last month. Haven't had time to look at it yet (I have the edition from the '80s)

I have the new Larousse on my wishlist. Please tell what you think of it when you get a chance, esp. how it compares to the '80s version (which I find nowhere near as useful as the one from 1961).

I have the two previous Larousse volumes and would like the current one in theory. I paged through it a bit the other day and liked what I saw, but I strongly suspect that taking out of the library for a couple of weeks will suffice, at least until it lands on the remainder table.