GrantK

Your next cookbook

Books that I've given to others,or taken out from the library,and like,recently;Milk,by Anne Mendelson,Salt To Taste,by Marco Canora,and last but not least The Pleasures Of Cooking For One,by Judith Jones...how can I not love a down to earth book,with a Voice,by someone who has had the good fortune and talent to work with some of the best cookbook authors of the past 40 years.

• Like 2

Oh shoot! I had recently read an article about Judith Jones and her book, and was intrigued by it. Had I remembered, I'd have added it to my amazon order!

Oh well, I'm now expecting Momofuku within the next 2-3 weeks, and Ad Hoc probably in January. I wasn't going to order them, but I figure when I return to Canada, I probably won't be cooking for a while, so I may as well get them now while I still have a kitchen I can cook in.

I will probably get the Anne Mendelson book one of these days. I took it out of the library and found it very intriguing. Judith Jones has a blog that I'm following.

i wish Michael Symon's book was more inspiring :(

Psilakis's How to roast a lamb sounds great; ditto for New Orleans by Besh. And i got Link's Real Cajun as well :)

Anyone seen the Colman Andrews Ireland book?

To be honest Irish food doesn't tempt me, but his last saveur-free book was his Catalan book which is IMO a classic, so I'm willing to give him a shot. Any thoughts?

Of course it was never even in the running for me, but here's a NOT from the Bottom 10 Books for the Year list on BookStudio.com:

"Cleaving" by Julie Powell -- We all know from the movie "Julie and Julia" that Julie Powell wanted nothing more than to be a writer. "I have thoughts!" This book shares none of them. An exercise in stretching a metaphor.

However, one of her Top 10 is Mark Kurlansky's latest. Now that's a possibility.

I made the whole xmas dinner from Psilakis - i will continue cooking form it tonight. His garlic confit is my new secret ingredient;

his tsatziki is incomparable and gyro came out great.

Just realized that the John Besh book is my list as well. I picked up the new Larousse last month. Haven't had time to look at it yet (I have the edition from the '80s)

I have the new Larousse on my wishlist. Please tell what you think of it when you get a chance, esp. how it compares to the '80s version (which I find nowhere near as useful as the one from 1961).

So last weekend Blovie and I sat down side-by-side, me with the new edition of Larousse and him with the old and made some comparisons. The photos in the new one are definitely nicer, and it's printed with a more modern typeface. Actually, I think the layout of the new edition is better. But in the random sampling of entries, many are them same -maybe a few minor edits here and there, but nothing really significant. The real difference is there are more up-to-date entries on chefs. Interestingly, though Keller, Adria, and Ducasse are there, Bouloud isn't. Oh, and there's no entry for Sous-Vide.

Besh is gorgeous. I need to spend time going through it, as well as the other books I got for Hanukkah. Ad-Hoc just might give me my mojo back. And Blovie completely surprised me with a copy of Under Pressure. Now I need one of the new $500 immersion circulators. :lol:

I haven't compared the newest Larousse with the newer Larousse vs. the "old" Larousse. But I have used it to find stuff. So far, it's OK.

Besh is gorgeous? That is an understatement! :wub: Oh, you mean the book. :blush:

I've been getting e-mails from some company that sells sous-vide equipment. I'll check on the prices, if you like.

I forgot to mention that the one thing that old Larousse has that they didn't do with the new edition (and Blovie liked upon review) was after the word being defined they included the French translation.

i just got keller's ad hoc at home, today. adhoc.png

next up will be cary neff's conscious cuisine. products-bookCover.jpg

i just got keller's ad hoc at home, today. adhoc.png

next up will be cary neff's conscious cuisine. products-bookCover.jpg

Sure you will enjoy ad hoc. I received it as a gift not long ago and it's very informative and instructional.