GrantK

Your next cookbook

I took Gourmet Today out of the library today and am impressed by the first couple of chapters. The recipes look simple, contemporary and flavorful. It's very basic, practical and realistic as far as technique is concerned, but appears to be near the cutting edge on taste and inspiration. I'm talking about home cooking, of course. It seems to be a good addition to the kitchen library for everyday use. Has anybody cooked from it?

I took Gourmet Today out of the library today and am impressed by the first couple of chapters. The recipes look simple, contemporary and flavorful. It's very basic, practical and realistic as far as technique is concerned, but appears to be near the cutting edge on taste and inspiration. I'm talking about home cooking, of course. It seems to be a good addition to the kitchen library for everyday use. Has anybody cooked from it?

I was given a copy of it last year and although I haven't directly cooked from it, they have reprinted in the book a number of recipes from the magazine that I've incorporated into my repertoire over the years.

I'm starting to think I need someone to tie my hands down the next time I start looking at cookbook sales Web sites. I just reshelved all my books -- well, all except one I'm using for research for a current project, and a few that are out on loan -- and I have never ached so much in my life. :( And now I have to update the inventory yet again, because I recategorized some on the fly. After that, I'll post a list of duplicates; if anyone wants them, let me know and I'll send.

this

front_cover_volume_1.jpg

Yeah, I want that one too. Another gigantic, expensive book to add to my collection. Not very practical, but I just can't resist these things...

Yeah, I want that one too. Another gigantic, expensive book to add to my collection. Not very practical, but I just can't resist these things...

I'll take a big pass on MC.

If you're looking for inspiration for your next book, the Guardian is running a feature with the 50 best cookbooks of all time. They currently have 50-11, with the final 10 appearing this Sunday. It's definitely UK centric, and they really like Delia Smith while taking a little bit of a dis to Julia.

I'd be seriously worried that Myhrvold will start sending me demands for royalties, and that the book will come with a EULA that prohibits any public disclosure of its content.

I'd be seriously worried that Myhrvold will start sending me demands for royalties, and that the book will come with a EULA that prohibits any public disclosure of its content.

:lol:

i already signed to nda for the pre-order and that's about as much as i can share, at this time.

I'll take a big pass on MC.

If you're looking for inspiration for your next book, the Guardian is running a feature with the 50 best cookbooks of all time. They currently have 50-11, with the final 10 appearing this Sunday. It's definitely UK centric, and they really like Delia Smith while taking a little bit of a dis to Julia.

Well, MsAurum's comment sets them straight. :)

A friend sent me a copy of the new Dorie Greenspan book Around My French Table. I've only gone through the first two chapters, but I want to make EVERYTHING. I went to sleep last night dreaming of salmon rillettes and gougeres made with gruyere.