GrantK

Your next cookbook

The recipes do seem more suited to cold weather. Does she tend to spend winter in Paris?

FYI: If you want to buy René Redzepi's book, NOMA, it's still available at 40% off from Jessica's Biscuit. But only through today.

I just got it, it's pretty and many of the recipes are fairly practical. I haven't read the bullshit yet... after reading about 50 recipes I think I'm forming an opinion about the native ingredients schtick.

I just got 'Real Cajun' by Donald Link. From paging through it, I am going to really enjoy this one. Could be the best compilation of new and old Southern/Cajun recipes I've seen.

FYI: If you want to buy René Redzepi's book, NOMA, it's still available at 40% off from Jessica's Biscuit. But only through today.

I just got it, it's pretty and many of the recipes are fairly practical. I haven't read the bullshit yet... after reading about 50 recipes I think I'm forming an opinion about the native ingredients schtick.

Can't wait to hear it. :unsure:

I just got 'Real Cajun' by Donald Link. From paging through it, I am going to really enjoy this one. Could be the best compilation of new and old Southern/Cajun recipes I've seen.

I got this in the hopes it would be "definitive" (if that's at all possible). But now that I took a look, I see it's really good reading, too. Thanks for reminding me I have it. :)

I just received Rene Redzepi's new cookbook NOMA: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine. After a brief scan, it looks very impressive.

I only wish I could find his first NOMA cookbook. I would love to receive a private message from anyone who has any suggestion(s) as to a source for this book.

I would love the first noma cookbook as well. I have tried unsuccessfully to locate a copy. I love the cuisine of noma in its current iteration, but I love even more Rene Redzepi's the "classic" noma preparations of a few years ago.

By the way, after wondering how Redzepi could spend as much time in the EV as he did, I just read that he's appointed a chef for the restaurant, so that he can focus on bullshitting and schmoozing the development of a cuisine "without reference". I think in the same article he also made the brain dead comment about recycling Christmas trees as cooking ingredients.

I have not purchased a cookbook in a couple of years.. Since I didn't have a kitchen, I figured it would be best to wait and get the books at a discount... I heard that Ideas in Food came out with a book.. Anyone read this?

I have not purchased a cookbook in a couple of years.. Since I didn't have a kitchen, I figured it would be best to wait and get the books at a discount... I heard that Ideas in Food came out with a book.. Anyone read this?

I just got it yesterday so I only read about half. It's an efficient way to teach yourself about all the chemicals cool kids are using, but as far as recipes are concerned, they come from a very New American/Italian perspective, so many of their "ideas" seem irrelevant to me, and they generally have a very low opinion of umami, fat, and fermentation (so they basically say if you put veal or chicken stock in food it will all taste the same, and they think Mozz and ricotta are "cheese") that I can't identify with. A lot of the text sounds like juvenile regurgitation of things they've heard from WD (who in turn heard them at all kind of European chef symposiums or read them in an El Bulli book) and Canora - especially when you see bits of text referring to "we" and how "we" do things now vs ten years ago - that's how all the molecular people seem to talk.

One thing the book makes perfectly clear is that molecular/modern gastronomy is not primarily about making tasty food, but that it gives you a great toolkit you can use to make such food in a restaurant setting.

Anyway, probably worth your $13, although you can read all this online for free.

The "ideas in food" website is one of my least favorite places on the internet. That and the FCI Molecular guys blog. I weep at the idea of people who aren't superb home cooks thinking those are good places to get ideas from.

We had sous-vide creamed spinach at my cousins on XMas BTW. Straight from the boil in bag.

The "ideas in food" website is one of my least favorite places on the internet. That and the FCI Molecular guys blog. I weep at the idea of people who aren't superb home cooks thinking those are good places to get ideas from.

We had sous-vide creamed spinach at my cousins on XMas BTW. Straight from the boil in bag.

I think the worst example I saw was on a blog where someone says they bought a $900 sous vide machine so now they're not afraid to cook expensive fish and meat. Then they go on to describe how they make what they believe is duck confit, and how they make Salmon seem raw and mushy - but at least not overcooked. You almost want to suggest that they'd need to ruin a lot less than $900 worth of fish and duck to gain those skills.

I read the blog maybe 4 times a year.. Last night, as i was up from 130 to 5 am, after falling asleep at 7:30, I gave it a read.. Though, i don't use any sort of Molecular techniques, they have interesting flavor combos and it's nice to see what they come up with.. the 6 minute risotto they are just talking about seems worth trying.. presoaking the rice for a couple of hours.

Like a lot of their stuff, this is simply restaurant risotto. If you try it, try a real risotto for a side by side comparison - I think the 18 minute version is significantly better, but this one is acceptable.

I read the blog maybe 4 times a year.. Last night, as i was up from 130 to 5 am, after falling asleep at 7:30, I gave it a read.. Though, i don't use any sort of Molecular techniques, they have interesting flavor combos and it's nice to see what they come up with.. the 6 minute risotto they are just talking about seems worth trying.. presoaking the rice for a couple of hours.

I got my copy of the cookbook on Thursday, but haven't had time to read in in detail.

Some things look interesting, like smoked flour for breads and rolls. You smoke a pan of whole wheat or AP flour along with the ribs, turkey, etc.

I'm not a big fan of some of Aki's and Alex's techniques, etc but the book looks like a good read.