Your next cookbook

I also got Colman Andrews' book on Irish country cooking which is beautiful, with gorgeous photographs. I am eager to explore the chapter on making breads since I still dream about the brown bread in Ireland.

You can get Irish flour (and other many Irish goodies) at the Butcher's Block in Sunnyside. I haven't found an American equivalent to real Irish Coarse Wholemeal Flour, which is the key to that style of bread. They also import McCambridge's brown bread, which isn't bad at all. I usually have some in the freezer for when I'm too lazy to bake.

One of my favorite recipes so far is Catherine Fulvio's Butternut Squash and Apple Soup.

I've only made the Treacle Bread, but it was quite good.

I'll have to try that one.

I just noticed that the recipe for Wheaten Bread is from Robert Ditty, who makes the most amazing Smoked Oatcakes. No one in the States carries them, and I can't bring back enough on my visits to last more than a couple of weeks. Smoked Oatcakes with some perfectly ripe Gubbeen <swoon>. If anyone can provide me with a source for them I WILL PAY A CASH REWARD.

Are the cakes themselves smoked or are the oats smoked? because the anson mills oats are fires toasted - which gives them a very light smokey taste.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

40% off coupon and a gift certificate, what should I get? It's going to depend on what they have in stock, of course, but some books on my wish list or just look interesting are (not in any particula

I agree, except that once in a while I feel like doing it. What I find chef's or restaurant cookbooks useful for is inspiration, new flavor combinations, new ingredients, that kind of thing. It woul

That's great news! Out of nowhere the other day, Eden Lipson crossed my mind. Now I know why.

Posted Images

I just noticed that the recipe for Wheaten Bread is from Robert Ditty, who makes the most amazing Smoked Oatcakes. No one in the States carries them, and I can't bring back enough on my visits to last more than a couple of weeks. Smoked Oatcakes with some perfectly ripe Gubbeen <swoon>. If anyone can provide me with a source for them I WILL PAY A CASH REWARD.

Are the cakes themselves smoked or are the oats smoked? because the anson mills oats are fires toasted - which gives them a very light smokey taste.

The oats are smoked. Might try the Anson MIlls, although I usually use Irish oats. Have also considered smoking the oats myself in the stovetop smoker.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought Madhur Jaffrey's new cookbook and have been enjoying it a lot. Very satisfying, quick-cooking recipes that I can bang out on a weeknight. Tonight was Sri Lankan-style fish curry and Gujarati-style okra; both winners.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone looked at the big red NY Times cookbook edited by the Winsome One?

It was given to me as a Christmas present and I have read it cover to cover. Fascinating read and the old recipes are sensational. I'm planning to do several dinner parties based on pre-1900 recipes.

Ms. Hesser - I salute you.

Has anyone looked at the big red NY Times cookbook edited by the Winsome One?

It was given to me as a Christmas present and I have read it cover to cover. Fascinating read and the old recipes are sensational. I'm planning to do several dinner parties based on pre-1900 recipes.

Ms. Hesser - I salute you.

I received it at a talk she gave a few weeks ago, at which we were also served a dinner of a number of the recipes in it. (The only dish I and my tablemates did not like was Short Ribs with Coffee and Chiles --page 579--which tasted of neither coffee nor chiles. Guess whose recipe it is? :lol: But everything else was delicious, esp. the Caramelized Bacon [page 93] and Oyster Chowder [page 159].)

The breadth of coverage really is great, in terms of time and cuisines. The timelines at the start of each chapter are fascinating. And it will allow me to throw out a lot of my crumbling clippings.

I enjoy the writing: how about the recipe for Le Cirque's Spaghetti Primavera that begins: "I see you rolling your eyes at the thought of spaghetti primavera. The dish, rarely seen now, became a cliché of 1980s 'seasonal cooking,' the raspberry coulis of its day." And the accompanying Cooking Notes include this: "Pasta is done when biting into it feels like biting into a fresh stick of gum--when it's firm but pliable." Whether you agree with that assessment or not, to me it's good writing.

The only thing I don't like about it so far is the cover: all of the front, the spine, and an inch or so of the back are bare fabric. Will probably get filthy in short order unless I put a plastic cover on it.

It is with great pleasure that I inform you we are free for the Times and Luchow dinners!

Our schedules are wide open for the next two years and do you have a high chair?

:D

It is my pleasure to inform you that you're now officially on the list. :lol:

I don't have a highchair, but do have several phone books. ;)

It is with great pleasure that I inform you we are free for the Times and Luchow dinners!

Our schedules are wide open for the next two years and do you have a high chair?

:D

It is my pleasure to inform you that you're now officially on the list. :lol:

I don't have a highchair, but do have several phone books. ;)

List? Yo.