I too am a huge fan of Beefeater, by far my favorite non-specialty gin for martinis. But I agree with SM that 24 is special. (I've only had it at bars and haven't been able to find any to buy for my home yet, I'm sorry/relieved to say.)

You will be. They are about to do a big p.r. push on the 24.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lately, i like whole foods 365 brand because it's made with real cane sugar. i also like fentimans tonic which is flavored with lemongrass. i haven't tried qtonic, yet. which tonic water are you all u

That's quite the website.   Just the other night someone made me a martini with this stuff. It was very good.

You will be. They are about to do a big p.r. push on the 24.

So I finally broke down and got some Fever Tree and other "artisinal" tonics. My first G&T with Fever Tree (and the new No. 3 Gin) seemed great. But it's hard to tell whether the tonic is really that much better (which I suspect is the case) or whether I'm just trying to justify the higher cost to myself. No, really, I think it's probably materially better.

I also got some Fever Tree soda water. Need to make one of Squeat's Rickeys.

Haven't broken down and gotten it (yet), but the fine folks at Bittermans has taken a novel approach to tonic, making a quinine cordial, extracting more bitterness by using alcohol. In practice, then, you'd use a splash of this product ("Commonwealth Tonic Liqueur") topped up with soda water to give you some tonic with a kick.

Christopher

Oooh, that sounds good to me--it's the bitterness of quinine that I love.

Does it have fewer calories than using tonic water? Gotta cut somewhere, and I don't want it to be the gin.

Although damn, it's so chilly today, I can't even think about drinking a G&T. :(

Haven't broken down and gotten it (yet), but the fine folks at Bittermans has taken a novel approach to tonic, making a quinine cordial, extracting more bitterness by using alcohol. In practice, then, you'd use a splash of this product ("Commonwealth Tonic Liqueur") topped up with soda water to give you some tonic with a kick.

Christopher

The fine folks at my apartment do the same thing using cinchona bark and everclear.

<!--quoteo(post=1029333:date=Jul 6 2009, 05:20 AM:name=splinky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(splinky @ Jul 6 2009, 05:20 AM) 1029333[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1028368:date=Jun 30 2009, 09:46 PM:name=Squeat Mungry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Squeat Mungry @ Jun 30 2009, 09:46 PM) 1028368[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I prefer a nice Gin Rickey myself, but if your objection to Schweppes, Canada Dry, etc. is the HFCS, you could <a href="http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/" target="_blank">try making your own</a>. (NB: I have not tried this, because I prefer a nice Gin Rickey myself.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

please to provide your gin rickey russipee

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty basic: 1-1/2 (okay, 2) ounces gin over ice in a highball glass. Juice of half a lime. Fill with soda, garnish with a lime wedge and Bob's your uncle.

Sometimes if I feel fancy (and who doesn't, sometimes?), I'll add an ounce or so of dry vermouth and a dash of Angostura.

I did this tonight with my waste-of-money soda water. I added a splash of Falernum (instead of the vermouth and bitters) cuz, despite my protests to the contrary, sometimes I'm in the mood for a sweeter drink -- and this was one of those nights.

It was delish. In fact, I think this will be my Guest Cocktail of the summer.

Thanks, Squeat, wherever you are.

• 3 years later...